The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-18-2018, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Great thread. I do not drink alcohol while playing guitar. I enjoy making mistakes without any additional help!
Old 07-18-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I've never been much of a drinker, and when I was making my living playing in bars I never drank at all until the final set was over and I was putting my gear away. At that point I'd get the first of two beers I would enjoy that evening.

For me, work and alcohol simply do not mix, regardless of whatever the work happens to be.

At music parties at my home or other people's houses it's a completely different situation, and I'll usually have a dark beer to sip at while I play and the happy hours pass. But I still limit myself, because I want to always be completely legal and safe to drive.

Plus I just flat don't like getting drunk or even tipsy. That's not my idea of fun.

As a child I had three uncles, all of whom drank too much, and watching them I decided at a very young age that I would never drink as heavily as they did. In direct contrast, my father was always a very light drinker, and he outlived all three of them by decades.

Wade Hampton Miller
None of my grandparents drank - 100& Irish here. My mom wasn't a drinker. My brothers and sister are not. My Dad was the only one who really drank, in a recreational sense. I think my great grandfather's unfortunate issues w/alcohol scared people straight. Not a bad thing.

For me, certain beers and red wine (the latter, a dozen or so times a year) are all I consume. I do enjoy a cold beer, with my guitar, though. My eldest, 22, she doesn't really drink, nor does my wife. Interesting, at least in my home!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 07-18-2018, 04:53 PM

A couple of folks have alluded to alcohol and cultural connections that have been around forever. I would guess the current situation with Country Music and it's demographic are nothing more than a repeat performance of the cultural practice of drinking in another format.

I was never a "drinker" per se but I always enjoyed beer and most recently I.P.A.'s. I never drank more than a couple and that is enough for me to get a buzz on an empty stomach.
About four months ago, I quit any alcohol altogether. My reason was two-fold.
First, for the sake of my health. I figured at 68 anything I could avoid that might be detrimental would be a wise thing to do. Second, I needed to prove to myself that I could enjoy life without the buzz. Guess what...I can and do.
My personal choice.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-18-2018, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Love a half a light beer before my old band days.
Just to sooth the setup/driving jitters of some gigs.

I rather sing about drink than drink away my song.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMocha View Post
The Washington Post ran a very entertaining article about the long-standing connection between Country Music and the Alcohol Industry...
I don't do country music and I don't drink. What does that article say about me?
Old 07-18-2018, 07:50 PM

I drink a glass of wine or enjoy a beer after dinner or in the afternoon on the weekend but I can't say I do so while playing my guitar. I have nothing against drinking it's just something I've never thought about to be honest.

As to country music and promoting alcohol, it seems to be part of the current country party culture.

Best,
PJ
Old 07-18-2018, 07:55 PM

4 pages. Has the term "tuning fluid" been used?
Old 07-18-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMocha View Post
The Washington Post ran a very entertaining article about the long-standing connection between Country Music and the Alcohol Industry. (10-min read)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...=.cfe5c8817204

I have a particular favorite beer (M43) that I like to have sometimes when I practice, especially in the warmer months. When we get together with friends to play and jam, my wife and and I and our friends always have Gin and Tonics with a very specific brand. Its just a tradition when we play.

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on this. Any traditions being followed.
M43 is a solid beer! I drink a variety high end whiskey, beer, rum, armagnac, etc. I probably have well over 300 bottles at this point, some individual ones worth many than a decent guitar I guess. But, also, I very, very rarely get buzzed or drink with the amount drink at one time. Only occasionally at weddings.

In the evenings, if I'm just messing around on the guitar I will likely have a some whiskey neat.

Last edited by Backpocketnj; 07-18-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:16 PM

All my guitars are connected to iced tea and sodas!
Old 07-18-2018, 08:19 PM

Back in the early 90's when I was in a rock band (Seattle sound and harder classic stuff- Hendrix, Doors, Sabbath, Stones, Neil & Crazy Horse) we used to get all kinds of inebriated (on lots of different intoxicants).

Singer, who didn't play anything liked the stimulants balanced with alcohol.

We played nearly every weekend for a couple years, and I was probably .08 or more for every single show.

Solo acoustic after that, and I couldn't go overboard like before, but I still needed a couple to loosen me up for the stage.

Got sober almost 10 years ago, and wondered if I'd lose my muse. But turns out its still there, just need to let it flow out of me and not get in the way. Sort of go blank and let my fingers go where they want.

But generally I don't recommend over indulging in anything- moderation in life is the best way to live.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:08 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quite often I enjoy a beer while practicing late at night on a weekend. I've temporarily replaced my old standard, Molson Golden, with Blue Moon Honey Wheat. A different taste to be sure.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-18-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed66 View Post
My guitars seem to prefer Bourbon (either on the rocks or with a Coke). However they do complain after more than 3. It seems they get a little sloppy in their execution. Maybe its a setup issue
What a true post! I’m sure it’s the set up.....
Old 07-18-2018, 10:12 PM

I hate beer, however all my Martins sound better after a glass or two of Cabernet or Pinot or Zin or Malbec.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:38 PM

I'm not going to ruin my drinking by playing the guitar.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybones View Post
Back in the early 90's when I was in a rock band (Seattle sound and harder classic stuff- Hendrix, Doors, Sabbath, Stones, Neil & Crazy Horse) we used to get all kinds of inebriated (on lots of different intoxicants).

Singer, who didn't play anything liked the stimulants balanced with alcohol.

We played nearly every weekend for a couple years, and I was probably .08 or more for every single show.

Solo acoustic after that, and I couldn't go overboard like before, but I still needed a couple to loosen me up for the stage.

Got sober almost 10 years ago, and wondered if I'd lose my muse. But turns out its still there, just need to let it flow out of me and not get in the way. Sort of go blank and let my fingers go where they want.

But generally I don't recommend over indulging in anything- moderation in life is the best way to live.
Good, honest post. I bet your songwriting, if you're doing that (who isn't, in some capacity?)... You're playing style... Musical interests/influences... And so on... Have changed/grown/evolved, now that the skies are clearer, these days! . I have a friend recording in the States, who has found the same clarity, in lifestyle moderations.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion