The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-05-2018, 09:45 AM

I'm right there with you on Martin rosewood dread seduction. I keep trying to look the other way and enjoy my 000-28, but I can't hold out any longer.

The recordings both sound great. For me personally, it would be either/or. I couldn't justify two really nice guitars of the same nature, but that is JUST ME. I played a D-35 this weekend and was floored. I felt that it had the low end I was seeking, but retained the woody midrange I was missing in the HD-28s I've tried. I prefer the more immediate attack of the D-35, but with enough overtones to add that wonderful reverb from the soundhole. I dug it.

If I had the money, sure I would go for the D-41. But, it's $1000 more than a D-35 or HD-28. That is a lot of dough for minimal sound difference. I think it is aesthetically pleasing sure, but it sure is pricey!
Old 07-05-2018, 10:50 AM

Since I know you also like cutaways, may I suggest to you the new 2018 Martin HDC-28e with stock LR Baggs Anthem?

I believe it has the exact same bracing, neck, etc as the D-41.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I'm right there with you on Martin rosewood dread seduction. I keep trying to look the other way and enjoy my 000-28, but I can't hold out any longer.

The recordings both sound great. For me personally, it would be either/or. I couldn't justify two really nice guitars of the same nature, but that is JUST ME. I played a D-35 this weekend and was floored. I felt that it had the low end I was seeking, but retained the woody midrange I was missing in the HD-28s I've tried. I prefer the more immediate attack of the D-35, but with enough overtones to add that wonderful reverb from the soundhole. I dug it.

If I had the money, sure I would go for the D-41. But, it's $1000 more than a D-35 or HD-28. That is a lot of dough for minimal sound difference. I think it is aesthetically pleasing sure, but it sure is pricey!
Shades, I sent you a PM regarding my experience and random thoughts about the D-35 versus D-41. I have not had the chance to play or hear a D-41 locally, but I have played a couple 2018 D-35's. I like them a LOT ...and that model is actually responsible for this possible Rosewood Martin Dread GAS bender I began contemplating. Those new 2018 D-35's are very NICE. I like them a lot! The question for me would be; would I like a D-41 even more? Would I think it is better overall for what "I want and prefer" in a rosewood Martin Dread?
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-05-2018, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ii Cybershot ii View Post
Since I know you also like cutaways, may I suggest to you the new 2018 Martin HDC-28e with stock LR Baggs Anthem?
HA!! You make an excellent point. But you know what? A cutaway DC-35e w/Anthem might speak to me even more. ...Or a guitar that doesn't exist; a DC-41e. (Cutaway D41?) Hmmmm.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-05-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
HA!! You make an excellent point. But you know what? A cutaway DC-35e w/Anthem might speak to me even more. ...Or a guitar that doesn't exist; a DC-41e. (Cutaway D41?) Hmmmm.
Custom shop order perhaps??

I think the DC-35e (and GPC-35e, OMC-35e) all got discontinued this year. They all had only one electronics option, the Aura VT Enhance. Such a shame However there is the re-imagined NON cutaway version, the D-35e.

On the flip side, even a minty used DC-35e is much more affordable than any of the new 2018 models. Similar prices to what you are selling your OMC-18e for.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Custom shop order perhaps??

I think the DC-35e (and GPC-35e, OMC-35e) all got discontinued this year. They all had only one electronics option, the Aura VT Enhance. Such a shame

On the flip side, even minty used ones are much more affordable than any of the new 2018 models. Similar prices to what you are selling your OMC-18e for.
Points well taken. I am well aware. But I do prefer 1 3/4" nut width ..and Anthem over the Fishman Aura VT enhance. So a custom order would be closer to my truenorth.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-05-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Points well taken. I am well aware. But I do prefer 1 3/4" nut width ..and Anthem over the Fishman Aura VT enhance. So a custom order would be closer to my truenorth.
The DC-35 is a 1 3/4" nut width, MLO neck if that helps. For sure the Anthem is probably the better system, maybe that's why Martin made it available as a standard now.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The DC-35 is a 1 3/4" nut width, MLO neck if that helps. For sure the Anthem is probably the better system, maybe that's why Martin made it available as a standard now.
A DC-35 w/Anthem might be simplest 'rosewood' alternative that would fill a slot I don't quite have covered.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-05-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Shades, I sent you a PM regarding my experience and random thoughts about the D-35 versus D-41. I have not had the chance to play or hear a D-41 locally, but I have played a couple 2018 D-35's. I like them a LOT ...and that model is actually responsible for this possible Rosewood Martin Dread GAS bender I began contemplating. Those new 2018 D-35's are very NICE. I like them a lot! The question for me would be; would I like a D-41 even more? Would I think it is better overall for what "I want and prefer" in a rosewood Martin Dread?
Thanks buddy. It is always a pleasure discussing tone with you!

I personally don't think the D-41 is $1000 better than the D-35 I played yesterday. I haven't played a D-41, but I did play a D-45 and I don't think it was that much better than the D-35.

To my ear, the D-35 was PERFECT. I'd never played one before, but the low end was deep, but still snappy. The new HD-28s I've played have been very loose in the low end, and the mids just seem hollow. The highs are also very thin sounding. The D-35 was right in the middle of the D-28 and the HD28. Lots of low end, but snappy enough to still give you the bluegrass vibe so to speak.

Gotta have one! The only thing is that I would change out the tuners for Waverly. I hate Grovers!
Old 07-05-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I'm very impressed with the new D-35 design. I took a calculated risk that if I liked the new D-35 design so much, I would LOVE the HD-35 with the herringbone and scalloped bracing. So, I rolled the dice and sold a prefectly great HD-28E to fund the HD-35. Unfortunately, it didn't work out and the HD-35 is not as balanced as the D-35. Having tried a number of these combinations, I would say that with a Sitka top: scalloped/forward shifted 5/16" bracing = great, forward shifted 1/4" bracing = great, forward shifted/scalloped 1/4" bracing = too much of a good thing. The GE and Authentic bracing only seems to sound good with Adirondack tops which are less warm and louder to start with.

For my money the new redesigned guitars are some of the best out there. But, I do think the GE and Authentic line (including the Outlaw) are a step above.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I'm very impressed with the new D-35 design. I took a calculated risk that if I liked the new D-35 design so much, I would LOVE the HD-35 with the herringbone and scalloped bracing. So, I rolled the dice and sold a prefectly great HD-28E to fund the HD-35. Unfortunately, it didn't work out and the HD-35 is not as balanced as the D-35. Having tried a number of these combinations, I would say that with a Sitka top: scalloped/forward shifted 5/16" bracing = great, forward shifted 1/4" bracing = great, forward shifted/scalloped 1/4" bracing = too much of a good thing. The GE and Authentic bracing only seems to sound good with Adirondack tops which are less warm and louder to start with.

For my money the new redesigned guitars are some of the best out there. But, I do think the GE and Authentic line (including the Outlaw) are a step above.
I COMPLETELY agree with this Dave. In short, the D-35 is a wonderful balance and blend of Sitka top sweetness, 1/4" bracing that allows the top to project and sing sweetly and the guitar has more balance in its midrange where a lot of rosewood guitars with forward shifted/scalloped X braces can sound too scooped (To my ears). That sound is seductive at first but gets lost in a mix.

The D-35 fills in the midrange better than many Rosewood dreads that I've tried. I am not saying there aren't other well balanced rosewood dreads. but the new 2018 D-35 offers a great blend and balance of classic deep Martin lows with solid well placed midrange and treble. If I had one possible question mark, it would be that the D-35 might actually have a little too much bass/low end that can swallow up some midrange and treble detail.

I am going to ask my local shop to put a fresh set of strings on the D-35 they have in stock so I can check it out. I'll see if I can make a video recording if that happens.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-05-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I COMPLETELY agree with this Dave. In short, the D-35 is a wonderful balance and blend of Sitka top sweetness, 1/4" bracing that allows the top to project and sing sweetly and the guitar has more balance in its midrange where a lot of rosewood guitars with forward shifted/scalloped X braces can sound too scooped (To my ears). That sound is seductive at first but gets lost in a mix.

The D-35 fills in the midrange better than many Rosewood dreads that I've tried. I am not saying there aren't other well balanced rosewood dreads. but the new 2018 D-35 offers a great blend and balance of classic deep Martin lows with solid well placed midrange and treble. If I had one possible question mark, it would be that the D-35 might actually have a little too much bass/low end that can swallow up some midrange and treble detail.

I am going to ask my local shop to put a fresh set of strings on the D-35 they have in stock so I can check it out. I'll see if I can make a video recording if that happens.
Very exciting! I think it is cool that I had the opportunity to try a new D-35 yesterday because I can totally relate to the tone you are describing. It was wonderful.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Ummm...do you mean this oft-posted pic of my (perfectly balanced, all-dread) herd? Troublemaker that I am, I couldn’t resist posting it again (and again, and again...). Cue the GAS...and, yes, I’m happy now.

Yes ROY! And you should BE HAPPY! What a pair of beautiful guitars!!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-06-2018, 08:33 AM

Well I am going to go against the consensus. I never liked bling acoustic guitars. I gathered a few nice D28 style guitars and thought I was done, and then when the new revisioned 2018's came out I went to the local store to try in order , D28 (2017 changes), HD28, and D35. There was a new D41 high on the wall that I had zero interest in, never cared for the bling and there was no way I would be able to raise the cash.

D28 was alright, HD28 was better, and the D35 was even nicer. Before I left I decided I might as well try the D41. Big mistake, the tone, brilliance and depth was overwhelming. A few months later I ended up getting it. Now I have to say the D41 is the perfect accompaniment to my D18 Authentic.

D41 Buy it!
Old 07-06-2018, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbigsby View Post
Well I am going to go against the consensus. I never liked bling acoustic guitars. I gathered a few nice D28 style guitars and thought I was done, and then when the new revisioned 2018's came out I went to the local store to try in order , D28 (2017 changes), HD28, and D35. There was a new D41 high on the wall that I had zero interest in, never cared for the bling and there was no way I would be able to raise the cash.

D28 was alright, HD28 was better, and the D35 was even nicer. Before I left I decided I might as well try the D41. Big mistake, the tone, brilliance and depth was overwhelming. A few months later I ended up getting it. Now I have to say the D41 is the perfect accompaniment to my D18 Authentic.

D41 Buy it!
This humorous anecdote seems to be gaining traction. Uh oh
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion