The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-16-2018, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Default Phil Mickelson at hole #13, US Open

Did anybody see Phil run down a rolling putt and strike the ball while it was still moving? Amazing. I've been playing a long time and I think the only other time I've seen that was when John Daly did it in 1999. It's a shame to see such a good, popular player resort to that.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Just saw a replay. What an extraordinary thing to do.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 06-16-2018, 02:22 PM

Yes, pretty uncharacteristic for him, but I will not dismiss 30 years of the upmost sportsmanship over it...really frustrated with his putting today. I just wish Joe Buck, my least favorite announcer in ANY sport would talk about something else!!!!
Old 06-16-2018, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Here it is.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:23 PM

Have absolutely no problem at all what he did. He played within the rules and the rules sometime hurt you (e.g. sign an incorrect score and lose a major by a stroke ala Roberto De Vicenzo) and sometimes help you. If his act is considered contrary to the spirit of the sport then...CHANGE THE RULES!!!

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 06-16-2018, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Phil for Golfer of the Year!
Old 06-17-2018, 06:29 AM

He knew the rule was for a 2 stroke penalty. Under the circumstances it was a benefit for him. Sometimes the rules punish you, other times they help.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golffishny View Post
He knew the rule was for a 2 stroke penalty. Under the circumstances it was a benefit for him. Sometimes the rules punish you, other times they help.
Exactly. The greens were pretty much ridiculous. His way of telling the USGA how he felt. He probably figured that ball would roll down the slope, and down into the fairway. Then it would take at least 3 or more strokes, so stop the bleeding.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:30 AM

So is what he did legal in the game? Can you just run around swatting the ball when you feel like it?
Old 06-17-2018, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The rules allow for immediate DQ for committing infractions that are designed to gain advantage.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 06-17-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Not correct. His playing partner admitted that as they were walking off the green, Mickelson didn't know what the penalty was and didn't find out until a USGA official approached him. Phil's explanation after the round was a total fabrication, apparently designed to make himself look clever.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:54 AM

Deserved a DQ. USGA got this just as wrong as the course setup. They need to stick with amateur golf where they can push the kids around like the NCAA.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:56 AM

Should have been a D/Q. He thought he was playing in a weekend gambling match? Do not respect him anymore.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:02 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Yes, pretty uncharacteristic for him, but I will not dismiss 30 years of the upmost sportsmanship over it...really frustrated with his putting today. I just wish Joe Buck, my least favorite announcer in ANY sport would talk about something else!!!!
I know virtually nothing about any sport other than golf. The first time I heard this character I thought, "Where did they find this guy? He's got to be the worst golf announcer ever." I later found out that many people think the same, regardless of sport. Just like you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
Exactly. The greens were pretty much ridiculous. His way of telling the USGA how he felt. He probably figured that ball would roll down the slope, and down into the fairway. Then it would take at least 3 or more strokes, so stop the bleeding.
I'm sure that was part of it, and there was a bit of frustration there too. The USGA is still living down 2004, or trying to, yet here we are again. Good course setup at the US Open level should force the players to play strategically rather than just bomb and gouge, and perhaps penalize them heavily for bad shots. When good shots don't hold the greens...well, that's another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
So is what he did legal in the game? Can you just run around swatting the ball when you feel like it?
Well, it's not allowed, so there is a penalty. But there is no rule that says you can't intentionally violate a rule if you're willing to take the penalty. It's generally frowned on though, and could be grounds for disqualification but that is not required. In this case I think no less of Phil Michelson for doing it. He was probably trying to stop bleeding AND make a point about the setup. Even if that wasn't his intent, the point was made loud and clear.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I don't know how that announcer ever got a job. Watching the Masters or the US Open on TV are two of my favorite weekends. I always use the mute control! Watching is great, listening, not so much.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic