The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-18-2018, 07:55 PM

Default Seagull Entourage Mini Jumbo Rustic

Anyone else think this might be the best Seagull ever made, including the SWS models? Perhaps I'm stretching it a bit... But the cedar-top in this body shape, with the wild cherry back and sides... One cedar-top you can really dig into, and strum with some authority. I don't own one (yet, but played one a few hours ago, and was quite impressed. Ive played other Gulls. This one stands out to me.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan

Last edited by Everton FC; 07-19-2018 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:20 PM

I'll second that opinion. I picked up a seagull s6 cedar folk guitar a few weeks ago. It's quickly becoming a favorite go to lap guitar at home. It's only a couple inches shorter and narrower than my Taylor 214 but it's very comfortable to play sitting in the recliner. I broke my back a few years ago and now have a hard time lifting my arms so the shorter body and neck are nice.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernRedneck View Post
I'll second that opinion. I picked up a seagull s6 cedar folk guitar a few weeks ago. It's quickly becoming a favorite go to lap guitar at home. It's only a couple inches shorter and narrower than my Taylor 214 but it's very comfortable to play sitting in the recliner. I broke my back a few years ago and now have a hard time lifting my arms so the shorter body and neck are nice.
I meant the Entourage Mini Jumbo Rustic. I owned an Entourage Rustic, which I liked, but never really played. Sold it to get funds for the Yamaha FG-331, in my signature. But I do wish I had a bigger bodied cedar-top (my AMI's a cedar-top, but a parlour).

I like the Entourage Mini Jumbo cedar-top better then the S6. I was surprised how comfortable it was - and lighter than I expected. I like the thinner neck, as I have small hands. No issues w/fingerpicking for me, with the smaller nut size. What I found most encouraging, again, was how aggressively I could strum, with no muddling of sound. A wonderful guitar. Would love to add one to my arsenal, but that's give me 3 Canadian-made Godin's. And I'm in Alberta!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Old 07-18-2018, 08:45 PM

Everton, I agree that the Seagull Mini Jumbo is one of their best-sounding instruments, especially when it’s got the solid cedar top paired with laminated cherry back and sides.

I also think it’s the most musically versatile of all the various Seagull and Simon & Patrick guitar models.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-18-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Everton, I agree that the Seagull Mini Jumbo is one of their best-sounding instruments, especially when it’s got the solid cedar top paired with laminated cherry back and sides.

I also think it’s the most musically versatile of all the various Seagull and Simon & Patrick guitar models.

Wade Hampton Miller
It is, indeed. At least to me! I know you, too, live the cedar-top, paired w/the wild cherry b&s. What a nice match.

I have my eye on the one I played. Hoping the seller will drop the price a bit. I'd like to have it in my stable of guitars, by this weekend!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Old 07-19-2018, 02:21 AM

You can put me in that camp also. That MJ is always my first recommendation for a great beginner guitar.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post
...I like the Entourage Mini Jumbo cedar-top better then the S6. I was surprised how comfortable it was - and lighter than I expected. I like the thinner neck, as I have small hands. No issues w/fingerpicking for me, with the smaller nut size. What I found most encouraging, again, was how aggressively I could strum, with no muddling of sound. A wonderful guitar. Would love to add one to my arsenal...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post
...I have my eye on the one I played. Hoping the seller will drop the price a bit. I'd like to have it in my stable of guitars, by this weekend!
If the price is anywhere near reasonable I'd move on it ASAP - seems they've been discontinued, and once a guitar achieves "cult favorite" status as the Entourage MJ seems to have done (just try to get your hands on a Martin 000-16SRGT) the old law of supply and demand kicks in with a vengeance...
Old 07-19-2018, 02:55 AM

Yeah, I have to agree with you. Last year I bought my niece a guitar and tried about 4 different Seaguls - to my ear, the Mini Jumbo was easily the best. Warm and authoritative.

She loves it!
Old 07-19-2018, 04:35 AM

I bought a used MJ as my outside campfire guitar. I feel guilty sometimes playing it outside in 90 degree heat, but that's why I bought it. I agree with all the statements above. I also recommend perusing the GC used market for one. They usually have a few, listed reasonably & sometimes with a case. Get em while you can.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
If the price is anywhere near reasonable I'd move on it ASAP - seems they've been discontinued, and once a guitar achieves "cult favorite" status as the Entourage MJ seems to have done (just try to get your hands on a Martin 000-16SRGT) the old law of supply and demand kicks in with a vengeance...
Agreed.

I could see this being a guitar one could use live. A singer-songwriter's guitar. To me, it's much more than a "Beginner's Guitar", even though that may be how it was marketed by Godin, and others.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Old 07-19-2018, 09:07 AM

I played one of these last year, used, at my local music store. I am still mad I didn't buy it. Didn't really need it, but it sounded great and the playability was excellent. I think having one that was played in a little probably helped, but yeah, I'm a fan.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
seems they've been discontinued
Hmmm, I didn't know that and it seems that you are right as it is no longer listed on their website. I've always loved that model and thought to pick one up, seems I better snap up a new one quickly or peruse Craigslist for a used one.

Rob
Old 07-19-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar12 View Post
Hmmm, I didn't know that and it seems that you are right as it is no longer listed on their website. I've always loved that model and thought to pick one up, seems I better snap up a new one quickly or peruse Craigslist for a used one.

Rob
As these get harder to come by locally, the prices will not drop. So, I agree. (No one sells these online here, and you rarely see the S&P Songsmith Concert Hall for sale online, either - at least not in my neck of the prairies!)

Could be in my home tomorrow!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Old 07-20-2018, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

The Entourage rustic MJ and dread are really great sounding guitars, and the more narrow nut width and string spacing is good, especially for those who are used to electric guitars or have smaller hands. The MJ was a great body shape too, but they basically discontinued it and shifted production into their concert hall size (similar body, but longer scale).

I still have two Gulls... both solid mahogany / cedar: Artist Mosaic and Artist Mosaic Folk QII. Both sound great, have a warm tone, and are surprisingly accepting to moderate strumming.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:02 PM

Default Factory visit

I actually just got done visiting the factories where these guitars are made. It's literally the same amount of attention to detail as I see in 2k+ plus guitars. I was expecting to see a big warehouse full of robots, but saw tons of folks who have had 30+ years experience at Godin.

Truly the best guitars for the money - and available at Chicago Music Exchange!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion