The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-19-2018, 09:13 AM

Default Where do you find reliable sheet music?

So I’ve been slowly moving towards fingerstyle playing over the last two years and up until now have chosen several pieces I found online from the players who arranged them. I think it would be good for my playing to attempt a couple of easier classical pieces. Right now I’m thinking of Moonlight Sonata, Fur Elise, and maybe Asturias, (supposedly beginner but sounds more advanced to me?). Anyway I’m not sure the best way to go. Is it better to find an online lesson to help with hand positions etc and use their sheet music & tab? Or should I just find the sheet music tab and figure it out on my own?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 07-20-2018, 01:09 AM

I don't know where you got the idea that Asturias is beginner stuff, but it really isn't. First site I visited wrote it was "fairly advanced (grade 10)", which matches my idea.

I see that you listed 3 piano pieces that are arranged for guitar. In general that makes them harder to play than pieces specifically written for guitar, so I don't think Fur Elise or Moonlight Sonata are beginner pieces either. Maybe only in very simplified arrangements.

There are many graded books for classical guitar, although I'm not knowledgeable enough to recommend any. On another forum (Delcamp) you can get their graded books, when you're a member. I must say I often disagree with his fingerings though.

A classical guitar teacher could probably give better advice and would know your current grade when he or she hears you play.

Last edited by bert_; 07-20-2018 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:59 AM

I was searching the internet to find easy/beginner classical pieces and those were among the pieces I found. They were all considered easy pieces, though they don’t sound easy to me. But we all know the internet can’t be wrong so😮

I’ve thought about finding a teacher and taking lessons but cash is tight these days and I’m really just dipping my toes in. No expectations or desire to be a really good classical player. More trying to expand and improve my overall playing.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 07-20-2018, 08:13 AM

Wander over to the DelCamp classical guitar forum and register. They have a treasure trove of free PDF sheet music available. The forum has a lot of rules you have to follow but the resources there are really unmatched anywhere else I ever found on line.

Cincy
Old 07-21-2018, 04:45 PM

Hi, this is a book I have found helpful.

"50 Easy Classical Guitar Solos" by Jerry Willard.

You can find it on amazon.

I starts very basic, and has several nice pieces to learn.

This below is a method book I have worked with a bit.

Hal Leonard Classical Guitar Method (Tab Edition): A Beginner's Guide with Step-by-Step Instruction and Over 25 Pieces to Study and Play (Hal Leonard Guitar Method)

This seems like a very good method for self study. I had worked through several of the exercises, before I started messing with alternate tunings. I still have a copy and may revisit it. I am pretty much a beginner, so not much expertise on the guitar. But I think you may find either or both of these worthwhile considering where you are now.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

The Frederick Noad "Solo Guitar Playing" 1 & 2 are good resources and have been used by countless guitarists for 50 years.

Scott Tenant's "Pumping Nylon" is a highly regarded resource for around 20 years now.

Christopher Parkening and Pepe Romero have published highly regarded method books.

The studies of Sor and Aguado and Guiliani have been used for almost 200 years.

Mel Bay's methods are good too.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:30 AM

Thanks guys, I guess I’ll look into picking up one of those books. I was trying to avoid that just b/c I’m not really looking to become a classical guitarist as much as just learn a couple pieces on the easier end of the scale. Those three pieces I mentioned were described as beginner to intermediate level. There were obviously many more to choose from, but they were the ones that really appealed to me.

Anyway I’m going to look into the books and pick one that seems like a good fit. Even if it doesn’t have particular pieces I want to play it can’t hurt to improve ones skills anyway possible.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 07-23-2018, 12:13 PM

> The Frederick Noad "Solo Guitar Playing" 1 & 2 are good resources and have been used by countless guitarists for 50 years.

Yes.

> Scott Tenant's "Pumping Nylon" is a highly regarded resource for around 20 years now.

Yes.

> Christopher Parkening and Pepe Romero have published highly regarded method books.

Some like Parkening's book; some don't. I haven't heard anything about Romero's.

> The studies of Sor and Aguado and Guiliani have been used for almost 200 years.

Sor's studies are classic. Segovia called Aguado's studies useless. I used Guiliani's; they're basic but good.

> Mel Bay's methods are good too.

Mel Bay has an enormous catalog. I'd have to think there's a range in quality.

I think you can't go wrong with Noad or Tenant.

John R.

Last edited by jrethorst; 07-28-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:21 AM
Get off my lawn kid

One of my favorite sources http://www.classclef.com/

The GuitarPro files that I have downloaded weren't done by someone who understood how to use multiple voices, but they are still good enough to learn something with.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical