The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-20-2018, 09:40 AM

I forgot to mention, If you are looking for economy, don’t discount the obvious choice of the Epiphone aj45me. I owned one of these for a while and it was a really cool guitar. I should have kept it! I have a J45tv that is my favorite guitar I own. The Epiphone was quite good sounding and having been plek’d, It might be the best/easiest playing guitar I have ever purchased. I did not feel the least bit compelled to do anything at all to the setup of that guitar. The satin finish is not my preference but that is just aesthetics. It had 75 percent of the mojo of a Gibson J45 for about 25% of the cost of a standard j45.

Last edited by gmr; 07-20-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:24 AM

Larrivee SD-40 is a great guitar (25.5 scale 12 fret).
Old 07-20-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM3MD136 View Post
This Larrivee SD-40R is an interesting option... forum sponsor is closing his shop, so price is verrrrry low, and you might be able to snag it for a lower offer than the listed price:

https://reverb.com/item/13015118-larrivee-sd-40r
Wow, that’s a lot of guitar for under $1100 shipped. Somebody is going to get a deal.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Pono makes a dreamy slope dread. Impossible to find, but impossible to beat if you do. I have a 12 fretter I'm likely going to sell, but I imagine you're into the 14 fretter? Recording Kings are killer for just a few hundred bucks, too. I think they're discontinuing that series, so if you want an awesome cheapo, they rule.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:57 AM

All Seagull dreads are "slope shoulder" ... just a suggestion since you titled your post --- budget.

For me, the name "Gibson" and the word "budget" are seldom mentioned in the same sentence.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 07-20-2018, 11:09 AM

Yairi/Alvarez DYMR70SB is a wonderful slope shoulder 12 fret dreadnought. Just a joy to play, and such a big voice. A lot of guitar for the money.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
Pono makes a dreamy slope dread. Impossible to find, but impossible to beat if you do. I have a 12 fretter I'm likely going to sell, but I imagine you're into the 14 fretter? Recording Kings are killer for just a few hundred bucks, too. I think they're discontinuing that series, so if you want an awesome cheapo, they rule.
I have a Pono SS, a fourteen fret that might go up for sale. At the moment I'm not sure I want to part with it as they are very rare and it is a beauty both in looks and sound. I already have one member on here who wants it if I decide to sell.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-20-2018, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripdotcom View Post
A Martin CEO-4 can be had for less than one might think and it is a completely under rated martin

Agree, great sounding Martin. But it still has the Martin sound, very unlike the Gibson sound.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:49 PM

Budget slope shouldered dread in the classifieds. Recording King 12 fret for $399. Slap a pickup in it and you are good to go cheap. No affiliation with the seller. That is just a good deal on a guitar.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 07-20-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
This Larrivee SD-40R is an interesting option... forum sponsor is closing his shop, so price is verrrrry low, and you might be able to snag it for a lower offer than the listed price:

https://reverb.com/item/13015118-larrivee-sd-40r
Alright, which one of you bought this one? It was in stock earlier, and I was strongly considering it. Ran it by my brother to see if he was interested, and by the time I got back it was gone!
Old 07-20-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiousDevil View Post
Alright, which one of you bought this one? It was in stock earlier, and I was strongly considering it. Ran it by my brother to see if he was interested, and by the time I got back it was gone!
I have to admit, one of the reasons I posted it was so that somebody would grab it before I did. Hopefully it ends up in a good home, that was an absurd deal.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiousDevil View Post
Quote:
I have to admit, one of the reasons I posted it was so that somebody would grab it before I did. Hopefully it ends up in a good home, that was an absurd deal.

It's the same SD40R I linked in post #6. It has been sitting at that price for a couple weeks. I am surprised that it lasted this long.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:25 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I’m going to keep an eye on Reverb and the Classifieds here for a nice Gibson. I got a very good quote today from a forum sponsor on a new J-15 as well which I’m quite tempted by. I’m also going to see if I can find one of the Epiphone slope models to try out in person.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:32 PM

My input - do not hesitate on a J-15 - love mine and it scratched my slope shoulder itch at a good price relative to the J-45’s. Of course you should play one if you can before deciding, but I believe you’ll be pleased.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 07-21-2018, 08:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
100% agree! My old Eastman E10SS and SCGC VJ were both great guitars, but neither sounded like a Gibson. In the last two months I have seen two J15's, including my own, sell for less than $900. J15's obviously have the Gibson tone. I'd start there. I'd also look at an E10SS or E20SS. They can be found in the $700-800 range quite easily and have a great sound, just not very Gibson sounding

Also if it's just the slope shoulder aesthetic you're after and you like 12 fretters, you may want to consider a Larrivee SD40. I have one in mahogany/Sitka, and it sounds and plays fantastic. But again, not a Gibson tonal palette.
To the OP, I'm the gent to whom Zissou sold his Eastman E-10SS about three years ago. It is with me for life. Here's a vid many here have seen, of me playing it directly into a mic, with a really good pick. Not bad for about $800 or so.

Enjoy:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion