The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-20-2018, 07:25 AM

As others have mentioned for those in the know it will carry some extra weight and my guess is that anyone interested in that guitar would be in the know anyway. And if they are not I'm sure approximately 100% of them will do a quick Google search and find out that Mad is more rare and prized and is generally accepted as a replacement for BRW. So I am of the opinion that it is working in your favor. I would not expect to sell the guitar for more then you bought it but I would expect you to be able to sell it quickly and for a reasonable price. If not then hold on to it.

A good Mad set is gonna cost you about $4-500 dollars. EIR is about $100. In a custom shop it would be considerably more.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

I have a C.E. Sobel classical with a 4 piece Madagascar RW back and it sounds wonderful - fairly plain, though. Chris built it while another NW luthier (name forgotten) built one with the sister cuts from the same log. They had planned a GAL article about the two builds and comparisons of the two instruments - not sure if it ever came about, though. Really great sounding instrument, though.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:39 AM

Default Madagascar Rosewood

Although you’re ultimately at the mercy of what folks are willing to pay, I’d emphasize how favorably it compares to Brazilian in the listing. The adage that I’ve always hear is that Maddy is “80% the look and sound of BRW at 20% the price”. Like most statistics, this is a bit arbitrary, but the sentiment is there. To my ear, Maddy is often more lively and lush in the upper register than Brazilian, but it lacks the big, dark bass.

I’d start with 85% of what the current cost of a D-42 is with Maddy (were it still available)
Old 07-20-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGSRobinson View Post
To my ear, Maddy is often more lively and lush in the upper register ......... but it lacks the big, dark bass.

I'd have to say that is generally true of most Collings guitars anyway - - -
Old 07-20-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
.....The short version, Madagascar was a premium option, and the builders who used it baked it into their pricing. I'm sure a Collings D42 with EIR was less expensive than the custom with Madagascar. Whatever used Collings get versus original MSRP, would apply to he higher priced Madagascar model. You need to prove the original price and apply the same used ratio to resale value.

...Your Collings D42 Madagascar cost more than their standard D42, the difference should be reflected "proportionately" in the used price. Best of luck.........
Good answer Rich, though I believe "proportional" does not value it highly enough because it is no longer available. If you're wondering what kind of set would be on a Collings 42 series? I haven't seen the OP's guitar but it's pretty safe to assume it would be a Really nice set.

...and WHM as others have mentioned, potential buyers of the OP's guitar will absolutely know what Madagascar is and be willing to pony up for it.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:35 AM

Responses here makes me think it's worth more, but the public is largely ignorant of MRW's value and rarity over IRW.

If I was selling a MRW guitar my ad would briefly explain why MRW is more valuable.
Then I'd tell the shopper to google what MRW adds to the price (over IRW) of new guitars in 2018.

Many, but not all, buyers know about Brazilian RW.
MRW is also widely perceived as more desirable than IRW, but is quickly going the way of BRW.

Yes, MRW will likely take longer to sell if you price it the same percentage above IRW that they charge for new guitars today, but I'd accept that and hold out for my price.
It's worth more.

Same logic for BRW.
I wouldn't sell a used BRW guitar for the same price as IRW just because some of the public is ignorant.
Use your ad to educate.

Last edited by Tico; 07-20-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Definitely worth more than EIR!

Although the average person not might be familiar with Madagascar RW, I have a hard time believing that people looking at 10K guitars won't know what it is...
Old 07-20-2018, 12:01 PM

I'm not guessing I've sold two Martin Madagascar's, MSRP's of $6500 and $9500, the buyers were well aware of Martin's new/used pricing, and the Madagascar upcharge, there were no cost issues.

With established companies like Martin/Bourgeois/Collings/Santa Cruz/H&D, etc. there should be no problem getting proportionate prices for upgraded/custom models.

What you do need is "proof" to justify the higher prices. I keep the original receipt and spec sheet in the guitar case, so it's black and white. These are the upgrades/customizations that justify the cost, take it from there..........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 07-21-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipguitar_pro View Post
Definitely worth more than EIR!

Although the average person not might be familiar with Madagascar RW, I have a hard time believing that people looking at 10K guitars won't know what it is...
Precisely. There are many people who aren't registered AGF members who know a lot about acoustic guitars and tone woods. If they're in that market, they know what they're looking at and they expect to pay the upcharge.

The average person isn't shopping for a 10K guitar.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 07-23-2018, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Have a look, if you will, at the back and sides of Madagascar Rosewood, Dana Bourgeois chose for a guitar I have here here on the AGF. Absolutely lovely, and it produces a tone and power that really is worthy of wonder.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:08 PM

I had and foolishly let go of a 2009 716ce Spring Ltd. Maddie and I kick myself everytime I think about it! It sounded so good and looked amazing, but I was looking for that next guitar and traded it off. It had two knots in the back that looked like eyes and with the grain and color of the wood, it looked like Chewbacca, so "Chewie" was it's name!! I'd love to have it back.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 07-24-2018, 05:26 AM

I own a SCGC Otis Taylor model that is Madi/Italian. it was Otis Taylor's main touring guitar. It is an incredible sounding instrument.....The guitar was reviewed in Acoustic Guitar Mag. The back was described as looking like "Storms on Venus" with wonderful swirled grain and eye spots.
I agree with others that the increased value of Madi is realized by those who would be looking for a guitar like yours.
I think sometimes we sell guitars too cheaply

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...
Old 07-24-2018, 07:13 AM

I have seen it called something like -closest to Brazilian rosewood in sound -
Not sure becasue I dont own a Madi wood guitar -Thou I own a few Brazilian .
Seems harder to sell exotics -your either into it or not - most have no idea
because they cant find one to play . I know what to expect from Brazilian and even that is from good to great -experience a phenominal EIR guitar and it may leave a decent Brazilian or Madi in the dust -its all in the builder and their talents .
I'm betting your Collings is a great guitar ( with knowing their quality reputation )

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion