The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-12-2021, 08:23 PM

Hi Karen,
I didn't have a foreign transaction fee on any of my Emeralds.
Barb
Old 04-12-2021, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Thanks Mbrody for this:
Quote:
They actually did remove the charge for me. So maybe try calling the credit card company and chatting with them about it
I can give it a whirl.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 04-12-2021, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Barb, that's really good that you had no charges. The person at the bank said that the charge came through as a "foreign transaction" which tiggered the foreign transaction fee. It certainly is worth trying what eatswodo suggested.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 04-12-2021, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

No foreign transaction fee on any Emerald Charge with my AMEX business card.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 04-12-2021, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

Same here - no transaction fee when I bought my Emerald ... really fine print on the VISA card indicates that foreign transaction fees are not charged ... I’d also recommend that you talk with your card and plead forgiveness
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 04-13-2021, 03:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Sprucetop, did you order straight through a credit card?
Yes, Citi Bank Mastercard.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 04-13-2021, 04:55 AM
Charter Member

For foreign transactions, I have not been charged such a fee. Using VISA & Mastercard, including though PayPal. I believe there is also an option in PayPal to process currency conversion through your credit card (lower rate than PayPal).

Additionally, I can make foreign purchases with a low fee & better currency conversion rate through the Transferwise service (now called Wise: https://wise.com/ ), which usually processes in about 4 hours through an ACH (Automated Clearing House) debit from my bank account, just like an electronic check for paying bills. Incredibly cheaper than bank wire charges. This is how I pay for auction wins in other countries (I am in the U.S.)
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579

Last edited by kkrell; 04-14-2021 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Foreign transaction fees depend completely on your credit card agreement with the issuer. Many of the same issuers charge foreign transaction fees on some of their card products and not on other. Different by card offer.

Most Chase cards charge 3% ftf, but Chase Amazon card doesn't.
USAA Rewards Amex doesn't.
Citi Double Cashback charges 3%.
Citi Costco Visa doesn't charge ftf.
Several AA Citi cards have no ftf, but some (AA MileUp and AA Aviator) do.

Depends completely on the whim of the card agreement with the issuer. You can typically find it on your card's web portal.

You might be able to argue it off as a courtesy with the card provider, but good luck.

I've not been charged ftf on any Emerald purchases but I've only used cards with no stated ftf.

Last edited by redi; 04-14-2021 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Thanks redi, kkrell, sprucetop, guitarwebguy, seannx, Barb1, Mbroady, eatswodo, EvanB, ac, PeterM,jdrnd, captain jack, for sharing your experiences and information. Very helpful.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:31 AM

Default Transaction fees

I ordered from Emerald and went through the new builder, no issues and no transaction fees. I know that it was posted in another thread regarding a North American office. I don't think they need it. Look at the last 12 months, all the guitar stores here have been closed so it wouldn't matter if they had an office it would've been closed.
Also it concerns me to read that you paid the fees, paid for shipping and you are already writing that "if you send it back" Have you got it yet? If you haven't, open the case and strum. I doubt that you will be disappointed.

I placed the order and then found someone by accident who had one. Now I can't wait. I just believe that it is very defeatest to see that you are having thoughts of cost and sending it back and we don't even know if you have received it yet.

Guitars are amazing, they come in all shapes and forms and there is one out there for everyone. I am on a countdown, can't wait for the email with tracking to arrive and then I will be beside myself. I hope you enjoy your guitar Karen and for that type of enjoyment, I don't care if you paid $700 or $3000. True happiness is in your hands.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I just believe that it is very defeatest to see that you are having thoughts of cost and sending it back and we don't even know if you have received it yet.
Not that you need to or should know my reasoning, but I went into this having doubts about the scale length and the 1 3/4 nut. I knew that I might have to return it. Guitars are very personal...the fit, the feel, the sound. Just because you love yours, does not mean that I will love, or should love the one that's being sent to me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber