The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-28-2021, 01:49 PM

Blues comes in different flavours, but for old-time country blues, delta and Piedmont, the best instructors I've found are Steve James, John Miller, Ernie Hawkins and Ari Eisinger.
Steve James has a video on Homespun and a couple of books with audio linked to Acoustic Guitar magazine, the others are on Stefan Grossman's roster. For an overview of styles, from simple to more challenging, Steve James's first two books work really well.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
There's a guy named David Hamburger who has a few courses available on TrueFire - those were my introduction to the blues and to fingerpicking. You can start out really fundamental but you don't have to if you've got other fingerpicking experience. He also has his own site called Fretboard Confidential where he teaches somewhat more advanced stuff in a totally different format. There are a lot of folks out there, but he's a guy that helped me break through many false starts at blues fingerpicking, so I recommend him pretty highly. But whether he's a good fit for you only you'll be able to tell...

-Ray
I agree
Love his Truefire stuff
Old 04-07-2021, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Another vote for David Hamburger. I have been doing his Fingerstyle Five monthly membership for a year and a half. It is really well put together and thought out.

If you go to his fretboardconfidential.com website you can get on his mailing list and be notified when enrollment opens. He also has alot of free Youtube content so you can check out if his teaching style is for you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write