The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-25-2011, 01:39 PM

Have just added a Lakewood M-14 to the household. Cedar over mahogany (actually sapele).

Very pleased with the Lakewood in all regards.

I'm a fan of cedar tops. I have two others, one with walnut and one with rosewood.

I have tried a variety of strings, and now more or less stick with PB, usually Elixir nanos. The Lakewood came with Elixirs, which to my ears suit it quite well.

David
Páirc Thoir Thuaidh

Old 06-25-2011, 04:07 PM

I had a cedar/hog Tak EG10ce that I wish I had never sold. It was a great axe that didn't break up under my heavy right hand strumming.

BIG GAP in GAS
'87 Guild D25-12 w/ K&K PWM- acquired in '07
'12 Voyage Air VAMD-02
'16 Alvarez MFA70- new to the herd 1/4/17
Ultrasound AG50DS4

Now playing in honor of The Bandito of Bling, TBondo & Dickensdad
Old 06-25-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDavid View Post
Have just added a Lakewood M-14 to the household. Cedar over mahogany (actually sapele).

Very pleased with the Lakewood in all regards.

I'm a fan of cedar tops. I have two others, one with walnut and one with rosewood.

I have tried a variety of strings, and now more or less stick with PB, usually Elixir nanos. The Lakewood came with Elixirs, which to my ears suit it quite well.

Yes I like mine too. The wood also look lovely with maple binding.

Lakewood's CEO recommends John Pearse strings too.
I agree they sound great on the guitar
Old 06-25-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulfillingsoul View Post
Lakewood's CEO recommends John Pearse strings too.
I agree they sound great on the guitar
I like John Pearse strings a lot with some guitars (just put a set on one of my Guilds this morning in fact). But both my cedar-topped McIlroys do better with Elixirs.

When it's time to change strings on the new Lakewood, I may give the JPs a shot.

David
Páirc Thoir Thuaidh

Old 06-25-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
Count me in as another convert. I spent a bit of time last winter with a Tim McKnight Highlander OM-D made with solid Cuban mahogany with a western red cedar soundboard......
I spend time every day with that same combination....like Tim's cedar with Cuban Mahogany bought it after 2010 McJam....

Another really great cedar combination I owned was a Goodall - cedar and curly maple - that was really a sweet guitar - just so much overtone that it was a little too sweet for my taste...Tim's is "just right" for my ears

2010 Simon Fay German Spruce/ EIR OM
2010 Taylor NS24ce Nylon
2006 Cordoba 55R Nylon
2008 Takamine Nylon Crossover TC135SC
1978 Takamine Nylon C128
2006 Miranda Nylon (My Motorcycle Guitar)
1973 Guild G37 Sitka/Maple
Old 06-26-2011, 04:59 PM

Default Cedar/hog - nice surprise with Alvarez

Hi - my first post, good to be on board... I've recently discovered the pleasures of a cedar top and hog sides and back. I bought a (barely) used Alverez cutaway dread AD62SC - a real find(especially here in England), great guitar. This has these woods and wow does it throw out the sound, there's something very crisp and clear about the tone. Very good contrast to my Taylor DN3 (spruce and sapele).

I also just noticed recently how cedar/hog is popular and very effective in good quality pro classical guitars, having played a few in the local music store the other day (plan to take my first steps in classical sometime soon). Cedar sounded nicer than spruce to me in the examples I tried.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:02 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abelville View Post
I’ve seen some cedar top, mahogany back and side guitars just recently - Washburn G-series & Seagul. Played a few and thought they sounded pretty good. I’ve always thought that Rosewood back and sides sounded best with Cedar. Could I get some of your views with on the cedar/hog wood combination.
Mahogany.
Mmmm..mmmmmm.
\mə-ˈhä-gə-nē\
Looove mahogany.

The combo can sound great.
Can sound like crap.
Depends on who built the guitar, the individual guitar, and what the person playing it likes to hear.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 06-26-2011, 11:11 PM

Default It was Cedar,Mahogany for my first Guitar....

First, I am a noob to guitar period! Purchased my first one just a few months ago.

I had asked many others who played guitar what guitar I should select as my first one. Advice varied but a consistent thread seemed to bind them all together. That was to purchase a guitar that you love the sound of primarily and then one you like the looks of. Everyone said it would be easier to play a guitar you like and enjoy. I looked for months, listened to many various guitars some within my budget and some way over!

That said I chose a Takamine EF340SCGN Cedar/Mahogany and I love it. The warm tone is excellent and secondly.... as a bonus, I like the looks too!

If I had to do it over again I'd make the same choice!

Takamine EF340SCGN
Old 06-27-2011, 01:52 AM

cedar/mahogany is exactly my guitar...i can't be happier. each tone is expressed with a clarity and balanced frequencies, high responsiveness and beautiful "woody" sound. a few months ago i played OM cedar/rosewood, came to me similar in sound, maybe less bassy but it might be because of a smaller body than my GA
Old 06-28-2011, 01:57 AM

Does Goodall or Santa Cruz make cedar/mahogany guitars? Any comments?
Old 06-28-2011, 06:47 AM

I have a Cedar/Mahogany guitar that is crisp and warm sounding! I guess the builder will bring out the best of both woods...

It’s all up to what your ear tells you.

’11 Bashkin Belleza - GC (Cedar/Mahogany)
’89 Taylor 712
Takamine EN-50
ESP Ltd MV-200
Old 06-28-2011, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulfillingsoul View Post
Does Goodall or Santa Cruz make cedar/mahogany guitars? Any comments?
As I commented earlier, yes Goodall does. I have a Custom Concert Jumbo that is awesome. See pics in Goodall picture section if you like. It does it all; full rich strumming, articulate fingerstyle, very responsive with balance.
It is featured on several of my YTC vids with just the laptop mic.
I think the body size works good with hog and the cedar really complements it and balances the rich overtones normally associated with Goodall. I tried the GC eir/eng first before I decided on this size and wood combo which had a better bottom end.

Enjoy the journey,

noledog
Old 03-08-2013, 09:13 AM

Default "Expecting"

Hello Everyone - I'm expecting the delivery (in April) of a Carvin AC375, on which I specified a Western Red Cedar top with Mahogany back and sides. I'm very happy to have read so many wonderful comments about this combination of woods. I currently play a Taylor 612, which has an Sitka Spruce top and flamed maple back a sides. I love the way this guitar sounds, which is very bright; but hope that the new one will have a more mellow and/or warmer tone. I will be sure to post my observations when I've had the chance to play the new one for a while. - Joe Frame
Old 03-08-2013, 09:33 AM

I'm 5 days into my Stonebridge c/m OM, and am loving discovering the huge variety of tones I'm able to coax out of the cute little thing.

I'm absolutely bowled over by it.

Comfy '07 Stonebridge OMS-22-CM for enjoying; Thumpy '93 Seagull S6 for thwacking on; Mellifluous '66 S.Yairi for being nylon on.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:54 AM

A borrowed Fylde Orsino - cedar mahogany (dread-ish shape though a little smaller than some, and slightly tighter waisted)), double tracked - one strummed, one fingerpicked with a bit of flatpicking thrown in -

https://www.box.com/shared/ssye3vy43i

This is fairly representative of it's sound.

I own a cedar/mahogany Fylde Ariel (small 12fret guitar) and a cedar/mahogany Lowden S10 (small body). Both lovely guitars, and each sounds different from the Orsino.

I do like the cedar/mahogany sound, but also v much like cedar/rosewood as in my Lowden O25 and Fylde Custom Alexander.

Keith

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion