The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-20-2009, 06:07 AM
happiness

Question Performance confidence?

I did a 2-song floor spot at the local folk club Christmas party last night, which was plugged-in (it's usually unplugged at the folk club) and one of the organisers was taking photos as the evening went on, which he then put onto a computer during the interval, and the photos were shown as a slideshow on a big screen during the break.

My performance went well, everyone sang along with the song they were meant to sing along with, and I received an enthusiastic round of applause with some cheering, and a few people complimented me afterwards - all of which is great! But seeing the photos up on the big screen, alongside the photos of everyone else, really brought home to me how UN-confident I look when performing.

And I really try to look confident when I sing, I remember to smile and everything. But I think that's the problem - I'm TRYING to look confident, I'm not genuinely confident! It's partially the setting at the folk club, because the host band are so good, and I'm such a fan of theirs, I get ultra-nervous performing when they are in the audience. And most amateur floor-singers at the folk club tend to probably do what I do, just get up and sing or play without really trying to make it more of a performance than that - and let's face it I'm just an amateur who's only been singing for around 2 years so I give myself credit for doing as well as I am doing. But I'd like to do at least a little better than I am doing at the moment.

I know you sometimes have to fake it till you can make it, but if that's the case, then I need to get better at faking it. I don't want to come across as arrogant. I think I need to try and emulate my former singing teacher, a charming lady (and lovely singer) named Mal - I can visualise her walking on stage with an air of "I'm going to enjoy this performance and so are you."

So, my new year resolution is going to be to keep that image of Mal in my mind, try to channel a little of her style, and keep on working on it to develop my own style. But other than that, any tips? How do I get to a stage where I will be genuinely confident in my performance, not just faking it?

Fliss
Old 12-20-2009, 06:55 AM

Read the book 'The Inner Game Of Music' by Timothy Gallway & Barry Green. I know plenty of musicians who have managed to resolve issues about performance/confidence from reading this...

Old 12-20-2009, 07:17 AM

You might be able to get some tips from reading a book (never read that) but nothing beats experience. SEEK out as many Open Mics as you can. (Put some effort into it) Travel a little if you have to (Hey no one will know you so you'll have less to worry about) Around here there are Open Mics at least 3 days of the week and several different places some of those days. The more you play in front of people, the more confident you will get. It's as simple as that. Sometimes I'm amazed at watching people who "I think" aren't really even that good have a great performance all because "they think" they are good. So confidence doesn't necessarily even come from actually being good. It's a state of mind somewhat. (maybe a book CAN help you get psyched out) I think I comes from just doing it so get out there and have some FUN!
Old 12-20-2009, 08:37 AM
Musical minimalist

just before you start playing, take a deep breath and think of your favorite place on Earth. Visualize yourself there taking it all in......that should add to your calmness factor and give you the "perma-smile" (as I call it) that won't appear fake.

Of course the other factor is to have your songs down so well that you CAN actually have fun doing them Which I'm guessing you do.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:58 AM

Hi Fliss, Performing huh? That's a big one. Then again... One thing in your note that got my attention - seems you felt pretty good about your performance until you saw some photos. Don't be mislead by photos. I perform a lot. I rarely see a photo I like. 1 in 54 is my ratio. : )
Don't "try" to be confident. Confidence is a result. The comment you made about your teacher says it all. "I'm going to enjoy this performance and so are you." Enjoy yourself. Everything else is a result of that.

I'd recommend a book by Steve Rapson "The Art Of The Solo Performer". I think it's a great book. I met Steve at a Folk convention and has since interviewed him and booked him in my area for a show and a workshop on performing. His is website is www.soloperformer.com.

Good luck Fliss

(And for Bob) Gook luck. lol
Old 12-20-2009, 09:10 AM
Guitar Gourmet

The truth? I've found that the only thing that has had a real abiding effect is the sturm und drang of life. The older I've gotten and the more settled I've become in who I am, and, correspondingly, the less I've needed to be seen as a good musician, the easier it has become. I still usually choose the first song as one that can make a big splash while I frantically get my feet on the ground and get settled onstage.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-20-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
The truth? I've found that the only thing that has had a real abiding effect is the sturm und drang of life. The older I've gotten and the more settled I've become in who I am, and, correspondingly, the less I've needed to be seen as a good musician, the easier it has become...
Bob
There's no better teacher than experience. Spot on Mate.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fambroski View Post
There's no better teacher than experience. Spot on Mate.
I agree, the first 1000 performances are tough then it gets easy!!

I have the opposite problem and I'm being serious, I have been performing for 43 years, and my mind can wander on stage!!

Before I perform I make my set lists and practice EXACLY how I will play, meaning using microphones into my full rig (even if the venue has a house system) and no stopping during a set.

So, what that does for confidence is there isn't any doubt, no question of if I can perform the evening's list, I've already done it, zero worry, it's just a repeat that happens to have people listening.

I am a big fan of a "dress rehersal", all the songs, in the order they will be played, no stopping. You KNOW you can do it, you already have!

Back to my problem, I do sometimes "drift", I am totally comfortable playing, and occasionally find myself thinking about work, what I have to do tomorrow, whatever, then come out of the fog finding myself on stage in the middle of a song.....yikes, what's the next verse!! When that occasionally happens it reminds me I'm getting too mechanical and need to "put on a show" and I do then focus on doing my best the rest of the night.

So, a full exact practice of your sets/performance in order no stopping is my recommendation. If it's only a few songs for an open mike do it a few times, then you know you can do it, and play with that attitude!!!!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 12-20-2009, 09:52 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I still usually choose the first song as one that can make a big splash while I frantically get my feet on the ground and get settled onstage.

Bob
that's a biggie as well.....

I used to always play "Let Time Go Lightly" an old Steve Chapin tune to set the mood and get the crowd to feel at ease with me too (it does work both ways) If they were listening, I had them.....kind of like we were "friends" already....

Old 12-20-2009, 10:05 AM
happiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
I agree, the first 1000 performances are tough then it gets easy!! ...
That's good to know!

Thanks for all the comments, recommendtaions and encouragement. Yep, a proper rehearsal definitely sounds like a good idea. I do practice a lot at home, but I usually do it sitting down (which is how I normally play at the folk club and at singarounds, and indeed how most people do) but I'm going to make a point of playing/singing standing up. Last night, I had four Christmas songs in my repertoire ready to play, and I didn't decide till the last minute which two I was going to play, so I don't think that helped.

Miche, you may have a very good point about photos! There are some people that the camera loves, and I'm definitely not one of them!!! My husband was with me (in the audience) and he said I didn't really look like that

Fliss

Last edited by Fliss; 08-08-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:14 AM

Fliss,

You're "doing it",. some folks never get to the first step, good for you.

Again, doing exactly what you're going to do with no stopping really does build confidence, and practice until you are satisfied with the reherasal. Then you can say to yourself "I know I can nail this, I already have"!!!

Happy Holidays!

Old 12-20-2009, 10:43 AM

Probobly you are the only one that sees it that way. You know how you felt. All of us just see a good performace. Were all afraid when we perform, that's just the way it is.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Probobly you are the only one that sees it that way. You know how you felt. All of us just see a good performace. Were all afraid when we perform, that's just the way it is.
Sorry Wolf, gotta completely disagree, I am not afraid, not even close, I look forward to performing (also do a lot less than I used to so it's even more "fun").

When I first started out yes there was some stage fright, but that's gone decades ago.............

Old 12-20-2009, 11:19 AM

My problem is memorizing all those songs. As an electric player in a band all these years I never seemed to have a problem. (I also didn't sing an awful lot) Now words and chords don't always stick for me. Too much partying when I was younger no doubt. It seems many acoustic plyers I see get away with having music on stage. I don't like it myself but I don't really see it bothering anyone.

I could never figure out why horn players always have charts and it never bothers anyone.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:37 PM

I've been playing in bandsand have done solo spots for over 25 years. I used to get nervous for the solo gigs. A friend of mine told me to be honest and genuine - tell the crowd your nervous. That worked well for me and I think I even got a little empathy from the crowd.
2101 Voyage Air VAD-06 Travel Dread
Danelectro '64
Kala ASAC-T Solid Acacia Ukulele
'81 Peavey T-40 bass

... and my baby - Bruce Johnson hand made AUB-2 Ampeg Scroll fretless bass - #30

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write