The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-28-2009, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Default Chords - Anchor Finger tutorials

Does anyone have a link to any online tutorials that focus on anchor fingers that make changing chords easier. Thanks!

Tom
Old 12-28-2009, 07:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRC View Post
Does anyone have a link to any online tutorials that focus on anchor fingers that make changing chords easier. Thanks!

Tom
Hi Tom,
What is an 'anchor finger'? Is it a fretting hand thing you're referring to?

HE
Old 12-28-2009, 07:37 AM

e.g. Moving from an open G chord to an open D, you'd hold the D note on the 2nd string -- is that what the question is about?

Best way to play a chord progression smoothly is to know each individual chord on the tip of your fingers.

Once you know each chord, then you can play the chord progression at various speeds, "doubling" the parts that you find difficult, playing it in reverse, etc.

But seriously, once you know the chords well, "anchoring" as you suggest will be done automatically, IMO.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:02 AM

There are a few little tricks that are commonly utilized when switching chords that involves moving to the bass notes first if playing alternating bass lines. But for the most part, it is important to understand that repetition is the key to playing guitar, you basically play the tune until you HATE it and your fingers are in a constant state of PAIN and then you play it some more and again.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:03 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNewbie View Post
e.g. Moving from an open G chord to an open D, you'd hold the D note on the 2nd string -- is that what the question is about?

Best way to play a chord progression smoothly is to know each individual chord on the tip of your fingers.

Once you know each chord, then you can play the chord progression at various speeds, "doubling" the parts that you find difficult, playing it in reverse, etc.

But seriously, once you know the chords well, "anchoring" as you suggest will be done automatically, IMO.
Hi Joe,
Ah............I have always told my students that a finger left on a note from a previous chord that stays the same in the next chord is a 'pivot' note. That note, or notes, plus the thumb on the back of the neck, is the 'support' that helps make the transition less busy, more seamless.

I always think of the term 'anchor' as the laying, or placing of fingers on the pickguard so as to restrict the picking hand movement.

Regards,
Howard
http://www.howardemerson.com/
Old 12-28-2009, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Tom…
I don't know of any written, but I suppose there probably is.

When working through difficult passages with quick changes I often work out which fingers hold in place while others move and have made-up a few new fingerings to chords for particular pieces because of it.

As a teacher, I share these with students, and we build an exercise or two, but they are mostly based on actual use rather than theory.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-28-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Hi Joe,
Ah............I have always told my students that a finger left on a note from a previous chord that stays the same in the next chord is a 'pivot' note. That note, or notes, plus the thumb on the back of the neck, is the 'support' that helps make the transition less busy, more seamless.

I always think of the term 'anchor' as the laying, or placing of fingers on the pickguard so as to restrict the picking hand movement.

Regards,
Howard
http://www.howardemerson.com/
Hi Howard,

I have the same definition of "anchor" as yours. I'm intrigued and fascinated by all of the questions here. The OP's question is a valid one -- albeit one that I never really thought about. When the progression didn't sound right, I'd just play it over again, and again...

Joe
Old 12-28-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:

Tom
I don't know if there are any tutorials, but the best example of a guitarist who moves from chord to chord in an efficient manner is James Taylor.
If you want to develop an efficient method, watching his performance videos won't hurt, and you get to hear some great music in the process.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:55 AM

It's not an online tutorial, but Bruce Emery's books (http://skepticalguitarist.com/scratch.htm) talk about pivoting on an anchor finger like C to D7 and back where the index stays down on 1st fret, 2nd string. He cites other examples besides this. Emery's books helped me a lot.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

I found this video tutorial very helpful and would love to find more tutorials along these lines

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=.../0/pBacbX9yefA

Tom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write