The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-22-2009, 06:21 AM

Default strumming technique

Hey guys, I've been trying to replicate this type of muted strumming with little success, has anyone got any pointers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Nv7bj2ingA

I'm not sure of the strumming pattern either? It seems to change quite a bit
Old 12-22-2009, 06:43 AM

The key is in the left hand, not the right. Instead of letting the chord ring, you sort of release/squeeze just a little, basically choking it off. The right hand's operation doesn't really vary much from what it always does. There are variations, though...you could mute it with the right if you really wanted to, but that's a bit of a different effect.

Last edited by darkwing; 12-22-2009 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:59 AM

ah right I know that technique - just tried that though and it rings quite a bit, maybe I'm not doing it right but the sounds don't come out the same - you either get a ringing chord, buzzing chord, or a chuck
Old 12-22-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianardo View Post
ah right I know that technique - just tried that though and it rings quite a bit, maybe I'm not doing it right but the sounds don't come out the same - you either get a ringing chord, buzzing chord, or a chuck
If you want a truly pitchless string scratch, you have to mute with both hands. The left hand alone is not sufficient, as you generally end up with a lot of harmonic ringing in the sound.

You mute with the left <more on that in a moment> and also use your palm to mute with your right hand.

Also note that on chords with open strings, it is not sufficient to simply release the left-hand pressure on the strings. You also need to shift your hand and/or move free fingers to mute the open strings as well.

The right hand technique is a little hard to describe verbally. On a down-stroke, you want the palm to land on the lowest (pitch, not physical location) string just before your pick attacks it and just before the break in your wrist starts in the strumming motion. Then, as your wrist breaks, the palm will successively add strings that it is muting - leading the pick. The upstroke is just about the reverse of this, but my experience with most students is that when they get the downstroke, the upstroke comes pretty easily. I REALLY wish that I had a video of this...
Old 12-22-2009, 04:16 PM

Hi Laird, thanks for your in depth answer, although I've got the muting part down. If you skip to 10 seconds into this video below - that's the strumming I was trying to replicate, sounds like something between muting and letting the strings ring as it doesn't sound like either

After messing around on the guitar I reckon it's a bit of both, it's really hard to break down strumming as it's such a natural free flowing constantly changing thing! if there's anyone who can replicate this strumming above I'd be interested to know how it's done, as I can't get anywhere near how it sounds- if not nevermind *scratches head*
Old 12-22-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianardo View Post
Hi Laird, thanks for your in depth answer, although I've got the muting part down. If you skip to 10 seconds into this video below - that's the strumming I was trying to replicate, sounds like something between muting and letting the strings ring as it doesn't sound like either

After messing around on the guitar I reckon it's a bit of both, it's really hard to break down strumming as it's such a natural free flowing constantly changing thing! if there's anyone who can replicate this strumming above I'd be interested to know how it's done, as I can't get anywhere near how it sounds- if not nevermind *scratches head*
This is pure right hand muting on the lower 3 strings...VERY close to the bridge. Do not mute with your left hand. Experiment with palm placement. You will find that as you get closer to the bridge, the pitch starts to become identifiable. Go slow and you'll find it.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:02 PM

Ahh genius! Muting half the strings never crossed my mind before - thank you! I will give this a go and experiment

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write