The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Default Need help with a transition (fingerstyle)

I'm not too good with music theory and such, so I am hoping someone here can help me out. I play "Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus" fingerstyle in A, and "Oh How He Loves You and Me" in G. I'm trying to figure out a good transition from the first to the second so that I can keep them in those keys. The outro for the first is fingerpicking through the following chords: X02200 4X2200 200230 X23200 to an A chord. The intro to the second basically is the last part of that songs melody played over 320033 and X05505. I know there are rules of thumb about changing keys, I just don't know them.

Last edited by MattM; 12-21-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:17 PM

What is the "other string" in the last chord of the A walk down?
You have only 5 strings listed.

I can probably give you several "ideas," but you'll have to make the final decision.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allman_Fan View Post
What is the "other string" in the last chord of the A walk down?
You have only 5 strings listed.

I can probably give you several "ideas," but you'll have to make the final decision.
OOPS! The low E is Xed.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:56 PM

The simplest way to move between keys is to pick the second and fifth chords in the scale of the second song and give them half a bar each. So in your case to move from A to G I'd typically go

A / / / | Am / D7 /| G / / / |

Lag Autumn Jumbo
Lag Autumn CE Jumbo - Nashville strung
Taylor 614ce
Yamaha NTX700
Taylor GS Mini e
Old 12-22-2009, 10:01 AM

I don't have a guitar with me, but that seems to be an odd chord. Anyway . . .

I looked up the first song and found this to be the "chord structure" of the chorus (in A):
1. A - E - F#m - A
2. D - Bm - E7
3. A - A7 - D - Dm
4. A - E - A

I'll give you an overall suggestion with two possibilities.
When you get to the end of the song, play a "Reprise" by repeating the end of the chorus once again (lines 3 & 4). However, you will rewrite the fourth line which will lead into the key of G. In concept, both wiil start out line four, by using the Am chord. Since you are in the key of A, the listeners may be put off with the flatted third, so use the A2 chord (x02200) which can really be A major OR minor. To access the A2 chord from the Dm use (as a passing note) the C note on the third fret of the A string.

Then, you either go to the D ( & then D7) for Transition I, or
go down (in a similar fashion, i.e., using the G note on the low E string) to Em. Then walk up to a G using the D/F#.

So, Transition I would be (something like):

4. A2 - - - D - - - D7 - - -
G

Transition II would be (something like):

4. A2 - - - Em - - - Em - D/F# -
G

Really, I haven't heard this song, so I don't know exactly how the rhythm goes.

But, the concept is to do a "Reprise" of the last part of the chorus (or at least the beginning of it) When you do this, it might be good to add emphasis by "strumming" the entire chord (on the 1 beat of the new chord), in the the first (few) chord(s) of line 3.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write