The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-07-2010, 04:19 PM

Default Cordoba Guitars...

Hi.
I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on Cordoba guitars in general. I've never owned one, but now that I'm in the market for a crossover classical, I don't want to overlook them if they need to be considered. Any thoughts?
Old 05-07-2010, 04:55 PM

In a nutshell, for the Iberia and Fusion series ...
  • Their tone and volume are usually better than Yamaha - at least the old CG series (111, 131, 151, 171 and 201) which is being discontinued. Don't know how they compare to the new CG series (122 through 192).
  • Their quality can be inconsistent. Examine closely and play before you buy.
  • You'll need to file and round the fret ends. Somebody in the China factory is not doing their job. If you don't know how to do it yourself, this will cost you a bit more.
  • Unlike Taylor, Martin or Yamaha, they're usually included in the the large-percentage (15%-20%) sales at the big retailers. If you can, wait for a sale.
Find a good one at a sale price and it's good value.

That's my opinion based on playing a lot of samples and shopping with and for friends.

Can't comment on the Espana or Loriente line. Haven't had played a lot of samples - just 2-3 from each.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:17 PM

If you are looking for a crossover, the new Cordoba GK (Gipsy King) Studio is excellent. Better than the new Yamaha NTX 700 (better neck and better neck width). However, as other members already said, play one before buying it because Cordoba guitars could be a little inconsistent.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

Just returned one to MF - a Fusion model that needed the fret ends filed and the electronics were AWFUL - noisy and the overall sound was thin, nasal and absolutely useless in a gigging or performance situation. There are probably decent ones out there but as has been said here, TRY before you buy!
Old 05-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Guitar Gourmet

The one I have is built in Spain. Basically, Cordoba is a German firm that built a network of apprentices in classical guitar shops in Spain who would build their guitars in their off-time. Since then they've added some other locations, but my experience is with their Spanish guitars. Yes they can be about as inconsistent as Gibson guitars, meaning you want to audition the guitars and look for a good one. I happen to have come across a guitar with balance and projection that far exceeds its price class, to the tune of sounding more like guitars twice its price. The other examples of the same model I tried were not nearly as powerful or balanced.

There is a chance a Cordoba might need to be set up right out of the box. I find most guitars I buy do.

Pix of mine HERE.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-07-2010, 09:04 PM

Cordoba's lower-end models have a good pedigree, having been designed by Kenny Hill and possibly one or two other high-end luthiers. However, consistency is an issue, at least among the models built in China. When I bought my Fusion 14 RS there were three at the store, only one of which had a decent setup and enough saddle material to indicate that it had been built properly. I'm happy with the one I bought, but I would have passed on the other two.

BTW, the fret ends were fine on all three, but in my opinion the string spacing at the nut was too narrow for the neck width. I had a new nut made for a very reasonable price whiich improved the guitar's playability considerably.

I also owned a C5-CE briefly that was very good, with a somewhat richer tone than my Fusion and nice workmanship, but since I'm plugging that guitar in most of the time the crossover is the better choice.

Last edited by cpmusic; 05-07-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
Just returned one to MF - a Fusion model that needed the fret ends filed and the electronics were AWFUL - noisy and the overall sound was thin, nasal and absolutely useless in a gigging or performance situation. There are probably decent ones out there but as has been said here, TRY before you buy!
Not to be argumentative, but I have a feeling you had a defective set. B-Band has an excellent reputation for acoustic pickups, and the system Cordoba uses in the Fusion produces a tone which to my ear is very close to natural. That doesn't mean you shouldn't have returned the one you had, but while acknowledging the QC problems with the Chinese-built Cordobas, I don't expect the electronics to be a widespread issue.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:22 PM

As far as acoustic-electrics go, I would spend my money on a Yamaha with the new ART system. Yamaha seems to have it together when it comes to A/E guitars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Basically, Cordoba is a German firm that built a network of apprentices in classical guitar shops in Spain who would build their guitars in their off-time.
That's different from what I had heard but perhaps you know better than I do.

It was my understanding Cordoba is a brand managed by an American firm known as Tornavoz Music down in Southern California that sub-contracted the building of their instruments to Spain, China and Portugal. They got into China through Kenny Hill.

Tornavoz also imports some major brands from Spain (Ramirez) and Japan (Kohno) and owns the Loriente line (which has now been moved under the Cordoba label). It was my impression that they also owned or managed Guitar Salon International.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:28 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarVlog View Post
As far as acoustic-electrics go, I would spend my money on a Yamaha with the new ART system. Yamaha seems to have it together when it comes to A/E guitars.

That's different from what I had heard but perhaps you know better than I do.

It was my understanding Cordoba is a brand managed by an American firm known as Tornavoz Music down in Southern California that sub-contracted the building of their instruments to Spain, China and Portugal. They got into China through Kenny Hill.

Tornavoz also imports some major brands from Spain (Ramirez) and Japan (Kohno) and owns the Loriente line (which has now been moved under the Cordoba label). It was my impression that they also owned or managed Guitar Salon International.
As I recall, the info I got was from the old Cardoba website, before the latest update. I have no doubt that by now they are a subsidiary of some other large outfit. Your info doesn't really seem at odds with mine at all.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-08-2010, 08:35 PM

I have fond memories of an all Koa cutaway a/e Cordoba that I played at Guitar Center about 2 years ago.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:29 AM

Thumbs up

Just bought a GK Studio! I was @ the Guitar Center in San Marcos and there were two GKs to choose from but only one was set up properly... in fact, it was the best playing nylon in the store. Sound is bright and punchy with a bell like sustain through the A-B-E strings in higher frets (I'll be adopting a mute technique to balance this out). Quality is excellent! I would consider the GK Studio a great bargain.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2PraiseHim View Post
I have fond memories of an all Koa cutaway a/e Cordoba that I played at Guitar Center about 2 years ago.
Me too! I sometimes wonder about pursuing that model. As far as classicals go, it was pretty comfortable to play, had a good sound, and was drop dead gorgeous. It came with a humicase and didn't cost an arm and a leg, relatively speaking. I never tried the elctronics on it.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:23 AM

I own the Cordoba Dolce and LOVE it! Not as good as my old Martin was of course but splendid value and a very good instrument for the money.

Jim
Old 06-26-2010, 06:21 PM

I love my FCWE I also played some good 55FCE's when shopping around, which are the closest current model to FCWE, I think.

However... those are the only two models I've played that I liked. Their cheap classicals are awful, and I don't like GK Studio either. I played one at GC a couple months ago and it was rather bland sounding. I'd stick with the Spanish made models, and make sure you get to play it before buying.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:42 PM

I have to respond in 2 steps:

1. I bought an Ibanez thinbody nylon for about 300 bucks. All laminate and the neck was a touch thinner than the standard 2 inch classical neck. LOVED it and still do. But I decided I wanted a thin body classical with a solid top which leads us to step

2. Bought a Cordoba thin body classical, full width neck, about 500 bucks. It's ok, but since I almost always play them plugged in, I like the Ibanez better. It has a better plugged in sound, and I dig the slightly narrower neck.

The quality on the Cordoba is fine, but it just never sang to me. My daughter wanted a classical and I gave it to her. The Ibanez is sitting right next to me at this moment, waiting to play some more.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical