The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-26-2021, 08:01 PM

Default Positive Grid Spark??

Has anyone actually seen or sampled one of these? It looks like it might be a piece of gear for a couch player looking for something with features to help a novice at home player advance their skills. Just wondering if the advertising is fairly accurate or just hype.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:11 PM

I just got one. Will set it up tomorrow and let you know if it was worth the $260.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:43 PM

Alright! Thank you, Sir.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:32 PM

When I was practice amp hunting, I watched a lot of videos of the spark. But Positive Grid’s shady amp rollout (people waited for months after promised date pre-ordering and got nothing but excuses from Positive Grid), and no place to try it out myself made me stay away from it. A review from a member here would be quite neat since the amp is cheap enough for me to still consider it.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:13 PM
Charter Member

My son bought one, likes it for what it is (he also has more tube amps than I).

He likes that he can just plug into his DAW and do a quick demo and send it to my other son for collaboration, quick ideas, etc.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

My music partner has one and is very happy with it. Good for practice and solo jamming. He was on the list for one for quite a while and says it was worth the wait. He had a THR desktop amp (I bought a THR30ii after playing through his) that he sold after getting the Spark.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:16 PM

I currently have a THR 5A acoustic. I like it but the features on the spark are significantly more useful for self learning... I think. I haven’t been impressed by the comments on customer support on their forum. It’s not a lot of money though, so might be worth taking a chance on. Tonally, my eye is on the Boss Nextone stage 40 watt, but for skil and knowledge building the Spark really has me curious.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:05 PM
Charter Member

I was on the waiting list, but after many delays, I dropped off. I figured I can use a Trio with any amp if I so desire.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:09 PM

I've had mine since last summer. It's a versatile, decent sounding practice amp. Full functionality requires the App (to choose different amps, tweak settings, choose effects) but I found that the four pre-programmable slots on board make it easy to choose the most common types of tones I would use without having to rely on the app too much. Excels at electric guitar amplification, but also works well for acoustic or bass.

The weakest link in tone is likely the speakers, which tend to weigh a little heavy on the bass side, though you still get good results. Headphone out is actually pretty nice.. I use the headphones a lot for late night practice (or just to work through material that's to rough to be proud of), and feel pretty satisfied with the tones.

The beastie can get loud if you want it to, but won't compete with a drummer (or banjo player).

There is a good selection of presets on their Tonecloud, though not all of the many thousands are that great. Usually can find good user presets by screening for highest rated/most downloaded presets.

The feature that really sells me is the integration with backing tracks on youtube. Fantastic practice tool. The autojam feature and built in backing tracks are useable, but not inspiring. It is particularly difficult to get decent results with the autojam. Also simple matter to stream songs from your phone to play along with.

I like it for the price.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
When I was practice amp hunting, I watched a lot of videos of the spark. But Positive Grid’s shady amp rollout (people waited for months after promised date pre-ordering and got nothing but excuses from Positive Grid), and no place to try it out myself made me stay away from it. A review from a member here would be quite neat since the amp is cheap enough for me to still consider it.
Yea, the amp rollout was terrible. I heard about it a few times listening to Phillip McKnight's podcasts over the past few months (great to listen to while driving). He's also said he likes the amp.

I'd like to try it out.
Old 01-29-2021, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

I have one. Lots of cool features with the app, and a good value.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 01-30-2021, 08:12 PM

I have one, too. I like it - I don't necessarily use all the stuff it can do all the time, but it's nice to have those things available. It's very tweakable; even the preset sounds can be adjusted into what you want them to be. I've found my own way to use it based on how I play. It's fun.
Old 01-30-2021, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

I’m enjoying mine. I knew about the long wait when I bought it, so that part didn’t bother me. It took far longer to get the carry case than the amp. I had to update the firmware to get it to work properly. Once that was done, it’s been a lot of fun, especially for practice or small jams.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 02-02-2021, 10:14 PM

I was interested, but poor CS takes any item off my want list. Months of angry folks told me all I wanted to know. Am I missing out? Maybe, but I refuse to deal with companies that jerk folks around.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-04-2021, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

I purchased this amp last month. Took three weeks to get. No biggie. Perfect for my needs for rehearsing at home. So many sounds and options to play against music tracks. Amazing piece of equipment sub $ 300.00

come to one of our shows just east of Atlanta!
http://mikeandkayte.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars