The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-30-2021, 08:25 AM

Well, I've now whittled down the list to 8 songs. I figure my friends can handle 25 minutes of me singing and playing.

I spent so much time memorizing and mastering a number of songs I won't even play - kind of a bummer.
Old 08-04-2021, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony123 View Post
Well, I've now whittled down the list to 8 songs. I figure my friends can handle 25 minutes of me singing and playing.

I spent so much time memorizing and mastering a number of songs I won't even play - kind of a bummer.
Just curious- are you going to be back ground music or center of attention?
The reason I ask is; I've been invited to play next month at a monthly lunch get together- so, I'm trying to decide on song selection. I've whittled down from 7 to maybe 5, because each song has a back story. At 5 the time is 25 or so minutes. With 7 it nears 45 minutes. As back ground music a back story wouldn't be heard. AS center of attention stories should be told as introduction- IMO
Old 08-06-2021, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdjjr View Post
Just curious- are you going to be back ground music or center of attention?
The reason I ask is; I've been invited to play next month at a monthly lunch get together- so, I'm trying to decide on song selection. I've whittled down from 7 to maybe 5, because each song has a back story. At 5 the time is 25 or so minutes. With 7 it nears 45 minutes. As back ground music a back story wouldn't be heard. AS center of attention stories should be told as introduction- IMO
Definitely center of 100% undivided attention. Haven't thought much about stories - maybe I should do a little research on the songs between now and tomorrow!

Here's what I'll be playing:

Save The Last Dance For Me
Love Yourself
Freebird (without solo :-)
Hey There Delilah
Wicked Game
Rhythm of the Rain
Tears In Heaven
When You Say Nothing At All
Old 08-06-2021, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Definitely center of 100% undivided attention. Haven't thought much about stories - maybe I should do a little research on the songs between now and tomorrow!

Love Yourself
Hey There Delilah
Wicked Game
Rhythm of the Rain
Tears In Heaven
Nice list- fortunately I know the stories behind the songs I want to pass on-

I'll start with an original I wrote last November- Coffee and Cigarettes- as a kind of introduction to my thought processes-

After that I'll just explain why the next song strikes my fancy- that selection is an on-going, at this point, process- I want one song theme to segue into the next somehow and that depends a lot on the reaction of the crowd- again. fortunately, I know a lot of songs-

But, I was advised to do two covers then one original- so that's what I'm working towards.

Good luck! And have fun!
Old 08-06-2021, 07:44 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdjjr View Post
Good luck! And have fun!
Thanks - you too! Maybe someday I'll be able to add an original tune to the mix as well.

I wish you an attentive, appreciative audience.
Old 08-06-2021, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Love Yourself
Hey There Delilah
Wicked Game
Rhythm of the Rain
Tears In Heaven
We each see things in our own way and from our own perspective. Here's my view...

Those songs on your list are great songs that are well recognized by a large number of people. I can't imagine why any of those songs would need a verbal intro at all. There is nothing wrong with some communication or repartee with those around you in between songs, but those songs don't need any explanation as far as I can see. Every time a singer provides an intro to a song that doesn't need one, he risks insulting the audience.

Regarding the metronome, most of us guitar players experience that tool as a practice tool. It's not a performance tool. Once you have practiced with the metronome and you know how to keep the beat and the proper tempo, you should be able to internalize that information and not need the metronome for a performance. You referred to using the metronome as a "major faux pas." From a musician's standpoint, I think it is.

A drum machine or similar is more of a performance tool. Used right, it may not be a detriment, though if you can do these songs without it, it's often better. Some of the songs on your list -- Save the Last Dance for Me, Wicked Game, Freebird, maybe Rhythm of the Rain -- might work okay with a drum machine if used judiciously.

YMMV, of course. I hope some of this helps.

- Glenn
Old 08-06-2021, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Where do you live? I'll come back you up.
Old 08-06-2021, 02:56 PM

"Back Story" - informative about song choice

Old 08-06-2021, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi H123

Work up a song or three with a friend (or three) and sprinkle them throughout the event.

Of just work up all 10 with the help of friends.

This, I think doing split sets with other guitar players is a good plan no mater what and an under-utilized strategy. You play a couple songs, they play a couples songs, you collaborate on a couple songs together. Keeps the whole set fresh and interesting.
Old 08-09-2021, 04:28 AM

Thanks to those who chipped in with suggestions - the evening went very well and was a lot of fun. So I'm motivated to keep working on my chops. :-)

My non-native English speaking audience said they really appreciated the background stories and explanation of the lyrics, since they had heard the songs before but never knew what they were about.

I particularly like the backstories to 'Save The Last Dance For Me' and 'Wicked Game'.
Old 08-09-2021, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Thanks to those who chipped in with suggestions - the evening went very well and was a lot of fun. So I'm motivated to keep working on my chops. :-)

My non-native English speaking audience said they really appreciated the background stories and explanation of the lyrics, since they had heard the songs before but never knew what they were about.

I particularly like the backstories to 'Save The Last Dance For Me' and 'Wicked Game'.
Awesome! Fun- that is the key!
Old 08-10-2021, 08:38 AM

I don’t own this yet but plan on getting one and it looks like might fit your needs

https://www.boss.info/us/products/dr-01s/
Old 08-10-2021, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougt View Post
I don’t own this yet but plan on getting one and it looks like might fit your needs

https://www.boss.info/us/products/dr-01s/
That does look pretty good, and well-suited to acoustic guitar.

Please report back on how you like it in case you buy one.
Old 08-11-2021, 08:21 AM

One of the most memorable "performances" I attended was a demonstration of a type of African music where each audience member got handed a simple rhythm instrument and was shown an interlocking part to play.

Setting up a few of your participants with the instruments to do the percussion part of what you need could be very cool!

It was a refreshing surprise to see someone turn a "watch me play" thing into a participatory event.

Last edited by Rudy4; 08-11-2021 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-13-2021, 06:02 AM

I played for a friend Wednesday- she's never heard/watched me play in person, only on videos- I played nearly an hour and it was enjoyable. My first, outside of family, gig- she was impressed and said so and I know she was, I could see it in her looks at certain songs- I had 10 (of what I think I do best) and she even said I had made good choices on my song selection

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write