The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-18-2024, 04:28 PM

Default AER Compact Mobile 2 Battery Replacement

Hi, can anyone recommend a battery replacement for the AER Compact Mobile 2? Perhaps something available on Amazon.

Much appreciated!

Rick
Old 03-19-2024, 06:45 AM

This is a used amp, my first experience with AER. I must say, the sound this produces is very nice! This is quite a testament to their quality, since I have a Daedalus / Sps-1 PA system. Boy, this thing is pretty heavy! Anyone else have experience with AER? At just under $1000 used, it seems like a good deal, but I would have to replace the batteries for about $45 dollars. What do you think, worth it or not?
Old 03-19-2024, 07:26 AM

I have this amp and love it though it is a bit heavy with the battery. It is nice to have the versatility to play anywhere.

I think vocals sound great too.

I had the battery changed on mine by AER but I don't live too far away from their factory. If you can do it yourself for $45 you can't go wrong. Enjoy.
Old 03-19-2024, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robroy View Post
I have this amp and love it though it is a bit heavy with the battery. It is nice to have the versatility to play anywhere.

I think vocals sound great too.

I had the battery changed on mine by AER but I don't live too far away from their factory. If you can do it yourself for $45 you can't go wrong. Enjoy.
I haven’t tried vocals yet, but this unit sounds very nice. The fact that it is battery powered is also a main consideration. I like the portability of a battery powered amp. It weighs 28 pounds, which is a bit heavy for longer totes, but I have a small folding dolly for ease of mobility. I like being slightly amplified in certain circumstances so as to not draw much attention to myself.

I found a couple 6volt 12aH sla deep cycle batteries to replace the old ones. I don’t mind replacing them myself, even though it requires removing the top handle, the back electronics panel, and the front speaker panel. I think I can do this without removing the front speaker panel.

I read the user manual which provides tips and insights how to get a good signal dialed in. Sounds wonderful!
Old 03-21-2024, 01:39 PM

Interestingly, after a search on this forum, there aren't many threads specifically about the AER Compact Mobile 2. Also interesting, the manual says the batteries are expected to last 5 years. The life and health of these lead acid batteries can vary dramatically. They function best when continuously used and exercised. I also noticed this to be true for a cordless mower I have had for many years. I keep it plugged in at all times, and the batteries are still in great shape after many many years. If you leave the AER unplugged and unused without charging for a long period of time, the batteries will just die. Replacement doesn't appear to be too difficult, but is more involved than most people would want, especially considering what these units cost new. For me, having the portability of a quality battery operated AER amp is pretty cool!

Tomorrow I will install the new batteries. I am super excited about this little beast!

Last edited by Rick Shepherd; 03-21-2024 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-22-2024, 10:47 AM

I think it is similar to the mobile 1. They just changed a bit the FX section.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 03-22-2024, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
I think it is similar to the mobile 1. They just changed a bit the FX section.
Oh? Okay, good to know. I replaced the batteries. Had to take it apart completely, which wasn’t a big deal, and made the process very simple. I let it charge for a few hours so far, appears to be gaining more power per hour. Awesome! I also tried it out with vocals, and wow, it sounds great! It is hard to believe an amp this size can produce such nice sound. I also noticed my ES v1.0 guitar works with it too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification