The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM

Totally off topic but I will comment on the various iterations of the ES:

- 2003-06 is the ES1: used the AA batts, and was "ok" yet many suffered from body sensor failures. And the batt compartment sucked.

- 2007-09 is the ES1.2: used the 9v batt and is a huge leap forward over the AA-ES1. It sounded much better, was a solid live performer and was rock-solid reliable, and needed modest EQ to get it to sound excellent.

- 2010 following for a "few" years is the ES1.3: this 3rd version is the best of their ES systems. The preamp was revoiced again for a better live tone, and this version needs very little, if any, EQing to get it to sound excellent live. It ran concurrent with the ES2 for a few years, which is why this one is tough to nail down as each guitar model varied in this era. This ES1.3 is easily my favorite system, and this is absolutely a top performer over many systems even today.

- By around 2013 or so, most (if not all) all of Taylors were ES2 ...the ES1.3 by this time was pretty much phased out completely. I can EQ the ES2 to make it sound decent live. It's not my favorite system and not my first choice, but it is not a bad system by any means whatsoever!

FWIW, I have owned all four iterations of "ES" over the decades, so these are my impressions from actual use live. I still use/gig the ES1.3 and ES2 so I stand by the fact that these are still excellent systems that equal and excel many today. Yes, all IMO and IME, through a console and PA, in solo/duo use up to full-band situations.

Edward
Old 03-21-2024, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward993 View Post
Totally off topic but I will comment on the various iterations of the ES:

- 2003-06 is the ES1: used the AA batts, and was "ok" yet many suffered from body sensor failures. And the batt compartment sucked.

- 2007-09 is the ES1.2: used the 9v batt and is a huge leap forward over the AA-ES1. It sounded much better, was a solid live performer and was rock-solid reliable, and needed modest EQ to get it to sound excellent.

- 2010 following for a "few" years is the ES1.3: this 3rd version is the best of their ES systems. The preamp was revoiced again for a better live tone, and this version needs very little, if any, EQing to get it to sound excellent live. It ran concurrent with the ES2 for a few years, which is why this one is tough to nail down as each guitar model varied in this era. This ES1.3 is easily my favorite system, and this is absolutely a top performer over many systems even today.

- By around 2013 or so, most (if not all) all of Taylors were ES2 ...the ES1.3 by this time was pretty much phased out completely. I can EQ the ES2 to make it sound decent live. It's not my favorite system and not my first choice, but it is not a bad system by any means whatsoever!

FWIW, I have owned all four iterations of "ES" over the decades, so these are my impressions from actual use live. I still use/gig the ES1.3 and ES2 so I stand by the fact that these are still excellent systems that equal and excel many today. Yes, all IMO and IME, through a console and PA, in solo/duo use up to full-band situations.

Edward
Thanks Edward, I really do like the sound I'm getting from my ES-2 equipped AD12e and GTe, it's just battery life that's a concern. And you are correct about the need to EQ, I leave my amp / PA settings the same as they are for my JJB equipped guitars and just sweeten the tone with the controls on my ES-2, They sound great and I'm very happy. But at this point on my AD12e I'm getting about 2 shows before the battery needs to be changed, my GTe is a little better but not by leaps and bounds. I always unplug my guitar when I'm not actively playing, so unplugged between soundcheck and the first set and unplugged between sets, etc.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification