The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-31-2024, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Default More LR Baggs HiFi Duet Recordings From NAMM

What do you think?
Old 01-31-2024, 09:37 PM

I think the HiFi sounds very good on its own. My favorite tone was with the mic blend at 25%. Not sure the mic is worth an additional $250 over the HiFi though, but I think a low blend of the mic does make a great pickup sound a little bit better. I’m not going to send the HiFi that I am waiting to install in my Taylor back so I can wait for the Duet though.

Edit: Thanks for doing this demo. I would also add that has to be the best direct recording of a pickup that I have heard.
Old 01-31-2024, 09:54 PM

Very good sounding system in this recording Aaron. Really glad you were able to get a little time to record it at NAMM! I am curious how the controls were to use and how you felt the weight of the instrument felt?
Old 01-31-2024, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Very good sounding system in this recording Aaron. Really glad you were able to get a little time to record it at NAMM! I am curious how the controls were to use and how you felt the weight of the instrument felt?
All of the components are light.
Old 01-31-2024, 10:52 PM
Charter Member

Sounds really nice. I preferred it at 50%. At 75% the mic started to get a bit Woofy on the low end.

No NAMM noise so I assume the signal is direct into the recording device? Have you had the opportunity to hear it through a PA?

Aaron, now that you experienced 1st hand, would you make the switch from the Anthem?

Curios to see if the market will justify the price. Don't think it will show up as the "Stupid Deal of The Day" any time soon.

I think I might have to bite the bullet and give one a try, though it might be worth waiting to see if the price comes down.

Thanks for posting, Aron.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 01-31-2024, 11:01 PM

I think it sounds very good.

I wonder if it would work easily in other guitars since Baggs seems to use compression on the low end and that not every guitar are the same in this matter....

I mean the Baggs element is very reliable. It will sound the same in any guitar. So I guess it is easier to voice both in frequency and amplitude... But soundboard transducer are more picky and lead to more eratic results...

so I wonder if you'd get the same results with a 00-15 or a D-28A. We know now that there are "good and wrong match" as far as pickup & acoustic guitar association.

All the more, they installed the pickup themselves.

From my personal experience and AGF threads, one can have various results with SBT depending on installation (ex: TA Amulet, Dazzo...).

If I was Aaron, I would have just bought the demo guitar with the pickup in
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 01-31-2024, 11:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Sounds really nice. I preferred it at 50%. At 75% the mic started to get a bit Woofy on the low end.

No NAMM noise so I assume the signal is direct into the recording device? Have you had the opportunity to hear it through a PA?

Aaron, now that you experienced 1st hand, would you make the switch from the Anthem?

Curios to see if the market will justify the price. Don't think it will show up as the "Stupid Deal of The Day" any time soon.

I think I might have to bite the bullet and give one a try, though it might be worth waiting to see if the price comes down.

Thanks for posting, Aron.
I’d have to try it. I think it will be a different flavor to the Anthem. It’s not going to stop the Anthem from being a great sounding pickup.
Old 01-31-2024, 11:17 PM

I listened again. It's really close to Aaron's usual taste in pickups.

A solid bright string tone with no quack. I agree 25%-50% mic is fine.

Honestly the price is the main problem. In Europe it will cost around 470€ which is non sens. For that kind of money, I'd rather make my own dual source pickup... lol.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 01-31-2024, 11:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
I listened again. It's really close to Aaron's usual taste in pickups.

A solid bright string tone with no quack. I agree 25%-50% mic is fine.

Honestly the price is the main problem. In Europe it will cost around 470€ which is non sens. For that kind of money, I'd rather make my own dual source pickup... lol.
You are absolutely right, it IS the kind of tone I like. Slightly scooped, sparkly but still defined. It is basically the pickup that I wanted back in 2017 but how will it hold up tho the Anthem and Cole Clark. Only time will tell...
Old 02-01-2024, 12:38 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Aaron. I was hoping you would play through the HiFi Duet with your touch. Being an owner of the original HiFi, I am very encouraged by the Duet. It adds the air and detail the original HiFi lacks. I think it's going to be a home run for Baggs. I will definitely want to try one of these, even though reports indicate they are going to be pricey. $449?

I am impressed enough with the sound as it is. After watching your Video from the Baggs booth I learned they are still gathering data and Baggs may make tweaks before these ship.

I also learned that no matter what percentage of the Mic is dialed in, the HiFi Duet is like the Anthem in the way there is always some degree of soundboard transducer producing the low frequencies. (much like the Anthem) In other words, 100% Silo Mic is not Purely the Mic alone. Correct me if I'm wrong. I think that's an important thing to know.

Also, there is a thumbwheel on the underside of the control panel so skilled users can tweak the strength or amount of Silo mic. But it's tucked away so it can't be inadvertently screwed with by the unknowing.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 02-01-2024, 07:32 AM

Thanks for the demo! I just have a couple thoughts...

First, my main issue with the HiFi demoes I have heard and I hear it in this video as well is that twangy/sparkly top end. I have never been a fan of this type of tone. Yeah, it might cut through a mix but it kind of thins out the tone. It's the exact same reason why I struggle with the Voiceprint. It seems to have scoop the mids and increase the bass and high end, but to a point where the guitar sounds thin. Having said that, acoustically, the demo guitar does sound twangy so maybe it's just amplifying that (I hope at least).

Second, what's strange to me is that as you increased the mic, I noticed a more natural tone and not much change in the bass, but once you hit full mic, the bass was almost too much. I realize there's a crossover going on there, but the mic itself seems to add bass and it's almost overbearing. I definitely prefer a lesser blend of the mic but I really want to hear this system in a guitar that's not so bright.

One thing that seems to be a signature of Baggs pickups is their bright punchy tone. It's often problematic to me, but I still think this pickup has a tone of potential.
Old 02-01-2024, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

An interesting side note: I asked Paul McGill where the microphone is on his Ga Acoustic Audio pickup system and he said on the circuit board at the end pin and sent back this picture:

Old 02-01-2024, 09:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

This design is very promising and I'm anxious to hear it in the real world. On-paper, a small amount of the Silo mic might be all it needs to sound realistic enough, without being too distant. K&K Trinity is the closest comparison these days, and this new LRB allows the player to stay free of crazy glue. This could be a big win.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 02-01-2024, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
This is at least the second time Aaron's demo of a pickup sounded better than the original manufacturer's.
Old 02-01-2024, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
This is at least the second time Aaron's demo of a pickup sounded better than the original manufacturer's.

Aaron’s got the touch.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification