The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-21-2019, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Default American Music Furniture Any Experience?

I'm considering purchasing a medium size American Music Furniture guitar habitat. The main advantage I can see if it protects and humidifies acoustic guitars. The down side is they're expensive! The medium size cabinet is close to $5k. That could buy a pretty nice guitar. Does anyone have experience with these or other humidified guitar cabinets? Are they worth the money?

1959 Gibson Country Western
2017 Conner Spruce / Bubinga
1997 Taylor 810
1990 Fender American Strat
2019 Gibson Les Paul 1959 Historic
2023 Martin D-18 Custom Shop
Old 02-21-2019, 11:04 AM

I recommend AccessNSight. Probably about the same price but definitely worth the money. I have one for my guitars. Visit their website or call. They will work with you to get what you want.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:06 AM

See if a local cabinet shop will do it less expensively
Old 02-21-2019, 11:43 AM

No question that they are beautiful pieces of furniture but costly. I have two well padded open racks that my guitars live in. Total cost under $100. Yes I have to maintain two humidifiers but you’ll have to maintain one in the cabinet. For $5k I’d buy two excellent used guitars.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 02-21-2019, 11:45 AM

I've also thought about purchasing one but $5k is just the base model. Like a car, including "options" can take the price well over $7k. I was able to check one out locally at Rudy's Music. They are quite nice but, as you mentioned, I could buy a really nice guitar with that money.

I've also looked at Access N' Sight but haven't been able to see one in person. They are somewhat less expensive than AMF but you're still looking at around $5k. The main difference that I can see is that ANS seems to use those humidity packs while AMF uses a true "system" that you can either manually fill with water or have it connected to your water source.

I've wondered if it was possible to buy a wardrobe and make somewhat simple modifications to it to achieve the same goal. It would certainly cost much less than having one custom made and shipped.

Curious to hear people's thoughts on this, especially if you own one.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:21 PM

I have an oiled cherry and cedar American Music Furniture medium Guitar Habitat in the living room holding five guitars. The humidity system has worked perfectly and it is a beautiful piece of furniture.

It is, without question, worth the money to me because of its dual function as guitar cabinet and furniture.

It takes a few months from the order to arrival--more or less like ordering a custom guitar; and the delivery expense was substantial for the trip from Pennsylvania to California. If you were to order one, I strongly recommend you order the lighting upgrade and the neck restraint.

Since I love guitars maybe more than one should, I'm planning on ordering a second.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumming View Post
I'm considering purchasing a medium size American Music Furniture guitar habitat. The main advantage I can see if it protects and humidifies acoustic guitars. The down side is they're expensive! The medium size cabinet is close to $5k. That could buy a pretty nice guitar. Does anyone have experience with these or other humidified guitar cabinets? Are they worth the money?
They are well-made and surprisingly sophisticated.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:32 AM

A friend recommended American Music Furniture to me and I recently Talked with Darrell (sales) for considerable time about their products. He was very helpful.

I live in a very dry climate and have to humidify all year. I have been using a room humidifier with some success, but requiring a lot of attention and maintenance.

I have four rather expensive guitar so I thought it was worth the expense. I have a medium Habitat on order.

Be aware the is an additional "crate charge" and the freight is costly

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion