The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-13-2019, 11:44 AM

Different guitars sound and feel different, and are played differently by different people. With electric guitars, you add the complexity of the electrical, deliberately "inaccurate" amplification, and often effects.

So there's no scoring system or objective anything to this kind of question.

The one thing I can say for sure is that the "Chibson" you saw is overpriced. Unless you've fallen in love with it's neck, feel and sound there's nothing generically to recommend about it.

Over the years I have dozens of electric guitars, including a number of two humbucking pickup single-cutaway solid-body electrics, the "Les Paul type". I enjoy several of them still. One is super low-priced Samick with a bolt-on neck (though with nice jumbo frets) and unknown pickups that I like. There's no generic reason to recommend this guitar.

Does is sound like a Les Paul?

In what way and which model Les Paul? The best I can say is that it sounds good and I like playing its neck. It's also a decent weight and neck/body balance, which helps. I think I paid about $150 used for it.

I also have a Gibson Les Paul, one of the low cost satin finish models from a few years ago. This model has 57 Classic pickups and a nice slightly asymmetric neck carve. Not a looker in the fine-brown-furniture division of Les Paul-dom, but I like how it's sound works in some things, and enjoy playing that neck. I got a deal on it too: $600.

Is guitar G four times the guitar that guitar S is? How do you figure that? Even for just me and my needs, I couldn't do the math. I don't even know what the variables would be in the equation.

So cutting to the chase: if you're looking for a Les Paul style guitar, buy the one that you like. If you want to do Internet research, look at market prices so that you don't overpay, but the real research should be in picking a guitar that you like in your hands with a sound that appeals to you in your context.

And if you have some other "non-instrument" desires (like color, looks, brand-name), well that's OK too. Not about music and art is fully rational, it's about feeling.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-13-2019, 12:52 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
somehow a "2" got in the link. i've eliminated it and here are the corrected links.
www.gibson.com
www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio-60s-Tribute.aspx
play music!
Oh, yeah. Thanks! When Gibson redid their site they moved off the www2 subdomain they had created. I've been scurrying around changing links for the last couple of weeks. My Standard page linked to their page about weight relief and it was moved as well. I fixed those two pages today.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-13-2019, 05:32 PM

Are you located in the US? I think it's illegal to sell a Chibson that has "Gibson" on the headstock. I'd stay away.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:59 PM

In Indiana. Need to check on that one.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars