The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-08-2018, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Is that a TV screen behind you in the photo? If it is you need to drape cloth over it. It's reflecting the sound directly into your mic. That will cause feedback.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
Is that a TV screen behind you in the photo? If it is you need to drape cloth over it. It's reflecting the sound directly into your mic. That will cause feedback.
Nope. It's a wall hanging I made:

2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 09-09-2018, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Start by moving the amp out of the corner. It will reduce low end build up. Also make sure you are using a 1megohm impedance for the guitar input. If neither of these work then get an Ultra Tonic pickup.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Start by moving the amp out of the corner. It will reduce low end build up. Also make sure you are using a 1megohm impedance for the guitar input. If neither of these work then get an Ultra Tonic pickup.
Knowing nothing about electronics - obviously - I have no idea how, or what, to check for 1megohm impedance.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

Old 09-10-2018, 08:26 AM
*mahoganut*

Default SA220 / 330 pot cleaning

Hi lpa53. Your description of "wind noise" on Ch 2 makes me think perhaps the pots (potentiometers) are dirty. I've had that happen a couple of times.

I posted a thread earlier this year about cleaning them - https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=515664 - you might check it out.

What I heard was white noise - gargle sounds the best I can describe it with my voice - even when all pots (knobs) were 0. Removing the circuit boards and spraying with contact cleaner, then with compressed air to help it dry, then reassembling it and I had no more white noise.

My SA220 is not used very often; El Conquistador and I are friends and he's told me he's not had a problem, but his is used frequently. That may be a factor.

First step is to physically turn all knobs full on / full off and see if the noise changes or decreases or quits. (Do that with the master volume set very low.) If that doesn't "clean" them, then go on with the contact cleaner.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
Hi lpa53. Your description of "wind noise" on Ch 2 makes me think perhaps the pots (potentiometers) are dirty. I've had that happen a couple of times.

I posted a thread earlier this year about cleaning them - https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=515664 - you might check it out.

What I heard was white noise - gargle sounds the best I can describe it with my voice - even when all pots (knobs) were 0. Removing the circuit boards and spraying with contact cleaner, then with compressed air to help it dry, then reassembling it and I had no more white noise.

My SA220 is not used very often; El Conquistador and I are friends and he's told me he's not had a problem, but his is used frequently. That may be a factor.

First step is to physically turn all knobs full on / full off and see if the noise changes or decreases or quits. (Do that with the master volume set very low.) If that doesn't "clean" them, then go on with the contact cleaner.
I remember seeing that and the fix was a bit intimidating. I might give it a go, though. Here's a link to a recording of the sound I get when I turn the Chanel 2 gain up past 12 with nothing plugged in. Channel 1 has some slight noise but nothing like this. Do you think this sound could be caused by dirty pots?
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

Last edited by lpa53; 09-10-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:57 AM

Thanks to all for the many suggestions. I'm getting somewhat better results after moving the amp out of the corner and forward of the mic, though it's still touch and go. The slightest move of any one element, mic, speaker, or guitar, or even capoing to produce a new resonant frequency, can muck things up. It's definitely a learning experience.

One thing I'm noticing is that with the speaker moved forward of me a bit, and further away, I seem to here more treble than before. Why that is, I don't know. Liking a more mellow rather than right sound, I tend to increase the bass, but I've had listeners tell me the bass is too pronounced.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

Old 09-10-2018, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

The impedance of the soloamp may be a mismatch. If you are using a k and k I suggest you get a k and k preamp.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:37 PM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
Thanks to all for the many suggestions. I'm getting somewhat better results after moving the amp out of the corner and forward of the mic, though it's still touch and go. The slightest move of any one element, mic, speaker, or guitar, or even capoing to produce a new resonant frequency, can muck things up. It's definitely a learning experience.

One thing I'm noticing is that with the speaker moved forward of me a bit, and further away, I seem to here more treble than before. Why that is, I don't know. Liking a more mellow rather than right sound, I tend to increase the bass, but I've had listeners tell me the bass is too pronounced.
and remember - although the SA220/330 does spread the sound - that what you hear on the stage may be quite different than what your audience hears - not even accounting for individual perception. If you can get a buddy to play from your chair and use your mics while you move around the audience space you may hear a difference.

Phil
Old 09-10-2018, 02:40 PM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
I remember seeing that and the fix was a bit intimidating. I might give it a go, though. Here's a link to a recording of the sound I get when I turn the Chanel 2 gain up past 12 with nothing plugged in. Channel 1 has some slight noise but nothing like this. Do you think this sound could be caused by dirty pots?
Possible... you won't hurt anything easily if you take your time and use the right stuff to clean it (contact cleaner). You remove the grill, then remove the "head" screws, then gently lift it out as you unplug the two ribbon cables. Spray cleaner, spray air (not a required step), then replace it all. Seriously not hard if you don't drop parts etc.!!

I got your pm - just reply with email address and I'll send the pdf that Fishman sent to me. It's minimal but the job is not complex.

Phil
Old 09-10-2018, 07:11 PM

FYI, I picked up some noise in a pot recently on an SA220 and contacted Fishman. They sent me step by step photographic instructions for taking the unit apart and cleaning the pots, but they said not to use contact cleaner until I had first tried compressed air, because they said the contact cleaner would remove the lubricant from the pots. He said I should only use contact cleaner if the compressed air failed to solve the problem.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 09-11-2018, 04:16 PM

I had both the SA220 and the 330x. I eventually couldn't deal with the feedback issues despite liking the sound and loving the convenience. I use a condenser mic and it was almost impossible to do a gig feedback free if I had to use any volume at all. Because I needed the additional power, I went back to a traditional PA/acoustic-amp-as-monitor setup. I don't want to sound like I'm knocking these types of systems but they just don't work for what I do.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:37 PM

My go to system for small to medium size gigs is a Fishman SA 330, fed by a Gibson Hummingbird Pro with a Baggs Element pickup system, into a TC helicon Play acoustic on the instrument side and a Beta 58 into that Play Acoustic to a separate channel on the Fishman. I sometimes use a regular SM 58 and last weekend an old A.T.M.41 A. Other than a bit of easily tamed low frequency sustaining of the guitar, I've never had a problem with feedback. I keep it about 3 to 4 feet to the side of me and barely behind my back. The sound is great, I can hear it fine without a separate monitor, and it gets pretty loud. I chose it over other offerings because I liked the sound, portability, and the flexibility of the on board mixer. It is fairly sophisticated with a pad button, sweepable notch filter (it works!), and a low cut filter for each channel. Of course it has gain, Hi Mid and Low EQ for each channel and a Master Volume. This thing, and the SA220 I had before, has played a lot of gigs with zero problems for me and I travel all over the Rocky Mountains of Colorado.

I've never used a condenser mike with it so maybe that's the problem. Have you tried to use a Dynamic mike? Good luck! I hope you sort it out soon.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:13 PM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
FYI, I picked up some noise in a pot recently on an SA220 and contacted Fishman. They sent me step by step photographic instructions for taking the unit apart and cleaning the pots, but they said not to use contact cleaner until I had first tried compressed air, because they said the contact cleaner would remove the lubricant from the pots. He said I should only use contact cleaner if the compressed air failed to solve the problem.
Good idea! I didn't ask about what to do - I had used contact cleaner once before successfully.

Thanks!

Phil

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 09-12-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredtrash View Post
I had both the SA220 and the 330x. I eventually couldn't deal with the feedback issues despite liking the sound and loving the convenience. I use a condenser mic and it was almost impossible to do a gig feedback free if I had to use any volume at all. Because I needed the additional power, I went back to a traditional PA/acoustic-amp-as-monitor setup. I don't want to sound like I'm knocking these types of systems but they just don't work for what I do.
All that just to keep using a condenser mic??

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification