The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-23-2019, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_19 View Post
I am considering buying a Taylor, but I have no way of knowing firsthand how they sound without Elixirs on them. If the tone I'm hearing from them is due to the sound of the guitar itself and not the sound of the strings, and if changing the strings won't really alter the sound much, then I think I'd be spending my money poorly.

There's not really a means for me to experiment with changing strings on a guitar that I don't actually own, so the next best thing IMO is to get the opinions of other people who play guitar
Of course that would be true for any make of guitar you are trying out in a store that has some set of strings on it.
However for what it's worth IMO the type of typical strings a guitar in a store is likely to have on it does not make
that much difference in how the guitar sounds.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-23-2019, 10:28 AM

I have many acoustics of different makers. Every once and then I would try a different brand of strings on a guitar or another. Sometimes I take note not to put a particular string type on a guitar again, but most of the time I hear a new sound I may like under certain circumstances. It becomes a matter of hearing and taste. I generally use Elixir nanoweb on my Taylors, but used to put Martin MSP4150 (0,0125 !) on my dreads to save my fingerpicking brittle nails.
So your question is a matter of taste and you have to try any brand you think of.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Of course that would be true for any make of guitar you are trying out in a store that has some set of strings on it.
That's a fair point. I suppose I don't really notice it too much on any other brand aside from Taylor, so perhaps it's just the sound of the Taylor itself that I'm not very fond of
Old 02-23-2019, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's a fair point. I suppose I don't really notice it too much on any other brand aside from Taylor, so perhaps it's just the sound of the Taylor itself that I'm not very fond of
It may be that Taylor guitars are not for you. You like what you like; we all do.

Do you like the sound of Martin guitars or have you not had the opportunity to play very many examples of Martins?

To me, Martin is sort of the other side of the sound spectrum from Taylor, though you can certainly find exceptions.

- Glenn
Old 02-23-2019, 10:41 AM

If you can’t try them with different strings in the store maybe make sure to try them with a variety of picks + fingers + fingernails? That can have a big effect too in somewhat the same way strings do.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am considering buying a Taylor, but I have no way of knowing firsthand how they sound without Elixirs on them. If the tone I'm hearing from them is due to the sound of the guitar itself and not the sound of the strings, and if changing the strings won't really alter the sound much, then I think I'd be spending my money poorly.

There's not really a means for me to experiment with changing strings on a guitar that I don't actually own, so the next best thing IMO is to get the opinions of other people who play guitar
Hi Scott

While Taylors have a reputation for sounding bright, I've owned an older 714CE EIR/Cedar which was anything but bright. Taylor all-solid models come in at least 5 combinations of wood, and several body designs…to conclude they are all the same tone profile defies common sense.

In addition, as a guitar teacher for nearly 40 years locally, I've heard and played many great Taylors which are anything but bright. To conclude that a guitar which is well balanced tone-wise is thin or bright, is to conclude that all dreadnoughts are muddy.

Most people who dislike the Taylor tone profile are Martin or Gibson aficionados who are as narrow in their preferences as they claim Taylor is in their manufacturing process.

I'd suggest you get around your community and ask people to play their Taylor guitars.

Personally I'm in the camp of folks who just like great sounding guitars, and I'm not particular which label they wear on the headstock or the sticker inside.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-23-2019, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
... While Taylors have a reputation for sounding bright, I've owned an older 714CE EIR/Cedar which was anything but bright. ...
Yes, the older Taylor 714CE (cedar top, EIR back and sides) is a great example of a Taylor with a very mellow and yet big sound. Not all Taylor guitars are bright.

- Glenn
Old 02-23-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Scott

While Taylors have a reputation for sounding bright, I've owned an older 714CE EIR/Cedar which was anything but bright. Taylor all-solid models come in at least 5 combinations of wood, and several body designs…to conclude they are all the same tone profile defies common sense.

In addition, as a guitar teacher for nearly 40 years locally, I've heard and played many great Taylors which are anything but bright. To conclude that a guitar which is well balanced tone-wise is thin or bright, is to conclude that all dreadnoughts are muddy.

Most people who dislike the Taylor tone profile are Martin or Gibson aficionados who are as narrow in their preferences as they claim Taylor is in their manufacturing process.

I'd suggest you get around your community and ask people to play their Taylor guitars.

Personally I'm in the camp of folks who just like great sounding guitars, and I'm not particular which label they wear on the headstock or the sticker inside.

Superb post, and so like all you posts, sir! Thank you, yet again, for your continual reasoned opinions that are clear, and always convey your point while offering the larger "answer" that involves objectivity and thought. Seiously, I appreciate your contributions!

To the OP, read and consider each point Larry addresses in this past post: I will agree with each point; likewise based on my decades of experience (albeit not a music teacher), experimenting with all manners of gear, and thoroughly getting around in different circles.

Bottom line: to conclude that all "brand x" strings sound like this or that is, likewise, as much an overstatement as all brand x guitars sound like this or that, or all body-type x guitars. The more objective and discerning one becomes, the more one realizes how much variety there is and how much tonal color one can impart. And the string brand/composition is arguably one of the most significant factors in all guitars' tone, all of them. So many factors in the tone equation, and you are weighing a significant one that cannot be readily answered with a "brand recommendation." It really is true: some strings will make a pricey guitar sound like poop; other strings can make an inexpensive modest instrument sound like a someone mis-priced it in the back room. And all of this depends on the player's own biases: so what tone do you prefer is the real question.

If you're considering a Taylor or otherwise, just go play a bunch and get a sense of the body shape and wood tones you tend to like/dislike. Then go play more different ones to confirm or deny. And know this, too: innumerable guits on store walls suffer from dead strings, so one's perception of "gee that guitar is bright" may just be more a function of "wow so many of those others sound dull" by virtue of strings more than the guitar itself.

Edward

Last edited by edward993; 02-23-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:24 AM

I think I've gathered enough opinions now to make a more informed decision. Thanks for the input, guys. It's much appreciated
Old 02-23-2019, 12:51 PM

I am surprised by some of the comments in this thread, to me Elixirs are some of the least bright strings around. I don't know where the idea that they are bright came from. The coating often makes the strings sound like they have a "wet blanket" over them (as others have mentioned).

I don't use Elixirs because I don't like the slippery feel, it makes playing more difficult. But I do like their sound on Taylor because they tame some of the brightness due to their coating. They take off the sharp edge that I find present on Taylors to some degree.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:42 PM

I bought two new Martins and a Taylor last year. I thought the factory strings on all three sounded great. And they lasted a looonnnnnngg time. I put Retros (nickel) on the Rosewood Martin (+1) and non-coated Martins on the Taylor (yikes!). After it got done puking, the Taylor settled down and sounds pretty good. #3 still has Martin factories on it.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I think I've gathered enough opinions now to make a more informed decision. Thanks for the input, guys. It's much appreciated
Good luck. You really just have to try different strings to find what you like. I've tried lots of strings on my guitars (except my 000-15sm, which still sports the originals, LOL), but usually come back to Elixir PBs. I'll soon be trying some Martin Monels on the 000-15sm.

Last edited by DukeX; 02-23-2019 at 04:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-23-2019, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

D'Addario Nickel Bronze for me on my Taylor GS's...2 customs and one limited edition.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:37 PM

I had a 414ce and never liked the sound of Elixirs on it. I finally put some John Pearce strings on it and the difference was amazing. This was the sound I wanted from this guitar. Highly recommended for the Taylor Spruce/Ovankol tonewood combination.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 02-23-2019, 03:47 PM

I put Elixir PB’s on all my guitars - Martin, Taylor, Yamaha, Takamine ... I did put Martin Lifespan PB’s on my Taylor 818, but I didn’t hear enough of a difference to keep the switch.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion