The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-21-2019, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeway View Post
I use my X20 as my number1 guitar and sometimes in my dreams (I play really well in my dreams).
That cracked me up....thanks! I needed that.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
How do I use them?

Normally the left hand holds the strings down and the right hand picks or strums them.
Darn Arizona wise guy
Blackbird: Savoy
RainSong: CH-OM, CH-WS
Journey: OF660
McPherson: Touring(Honeycomb and gold), Sable
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-21-2019, 11:41 PM

It gets played more cause it's hung on the wall vs the case and as a result gets me playing more. I take it around with me everywhere, leave it in my truck for a few hours sometimes even when it's -40 outside. Always stays in tune, unless my kids play with the tuners when I step away for a minute. They are awesome instruments to own, especially for people who live in harsher climates.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:23 AM

It's inspiring to hear that y'all are playing everywhere. I need to expand. Should've started twenty years ago.

It's wonderful that CF durability encourages lots more play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeway View Post
I use my X20 as my number1 guitar at home, at retirement home gigs, at singlongs, and sometimes in my dreams (I play really well in my dreams).
Love this!

Old 02-22-2019, 05:20 AM
Charter Member

I picked up my rainsong mainly for camping and car travel.
If there happens to be an extended dry spell or a particularly wet week then It will be played in the house more, but my preference is a wood guitar.
The Rainsong is also the guitar my 18 month old daughter gets to stum/pick on...daily, with some oversight of course

Furch Vintage 3 D-SR
Furch D25SR,
Furch D32LM
Voyage Air VAD-2
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Tacoma Papoose
proud to be a Furch Artist
72 Fender Strat
Old 02-22-2019, 09:52 AM

My first CF (Emerald X7) was purchased specifically for travel and as a 'beater' to bring to work, etc. My second (Rainsong Shorty SG) I purchased as an 'everything' guitar that would also flourish under treatment that would make wood guitars cry.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:58 AM

It's always my choice for travel, camping, large jams, and any other situation where there's a possibility for misadventure. It sits out on the stand at home, while the others get put back in their cases when I'm done playing. Otherwise, it's just one of the choices.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:39 AM

I opted for a no-electronics Rainsong Parlor so I don't use it live. It is my travel, camping, and "sits on the living room stand during the coldest winter months when the house is at 20% RH and my studio is still at 50% RH".

I have played it wandering along the beach, lounging in a friends swimming pool (again, no electronics), floating in a canoe, top of a snowy mountain (the backpack gig bag work pretty well and its super light), and around many campfires. I wouldn't expose my pricier Taylor to any of these situations.

And they truly sound amazing, what's not to like. All they are currently missing is a low-cost entry point; however, the ~$1200 I paid for my Rainsong is a hell of a deal in my opinion.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:16 PM

My friend uses his as a couch guitar which is left out all the time and also at open mics. It is the only guitar that keeps a tune...
Old 02-22-2019, 10:11 PM

Gig guitar when it's too cold to take a wood one, living in the midwest that's usually 4 or 5 months a year.
It's rare when getting to a gig you have time to allow the guitar to warm in its case long enough to avoid the risk of finish checking, so I take the carbon.
I also use it when stages are small ( ding avoidance ) , outdoor gigs, the sun beating down on a guitar does not make wood happy. Heavy dews in the early evening etc. etc.
With a good pickup and DI I truly believe I'm not losing much tone compared to a wood instrument, some harmonic reverb maybe but I can get a very good mahogany type fundamental tone out of my carbon instrument when it's amplified.
The leads are being done on a Sable with a Trance amulet M through a Radial Engineering Pre Z DI.https://www.facebook.com/Gravelroadb..._post_reaction
Old 02-23-2019, 09:54 AM

big yes to CF guitars voyaging and adventuring away from home. Love outdoor jams and singalongs!
Old 02-23-2019, 12:28 PM

The same as my other guitars. They get played more than wood these days, and I don't hesitate to take them on road trips. I can see the day when most of the wooden guitars are sold or donated. I will always keep my two koa guitars and one koa ukulele.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

I only play mine...

- Enjoy buying interesting guitars.
- Playing at home (Beach Cottage) for personal enjoyment.
- Performing for family and friends.
- Performing at open mics and small venues.
- Performing at medium and large venues.
- Learning and practising.
- Playing songs with family and friends.
- Playing out with friends and newly met folks.
- Playing in severe conditions.
- Travel and festivals.
- Other.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:57 PM

I play at Ren Faires and pubs and such so having the Carbon Fiber is amazing since most of our gigs are outside in all kinds of weather.

it holds tune on days like this

And loud enough to carry to the crowd without amplification when its like this

Old 02-27-2019, 06:14 PM

Yo Cheeks;

Nice addition to the thread, nice guitar, great visuals. Thank you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber