The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2019, 07:58 PM

Default Have new guitars at big music stores had set-ups?

I was wondering if I go to one of the big name instrument places, and I play a guitar they have hanging up, and I like it, should I assume it's had a set-up done in their shop? Like for string height, action, ease of play, etc.

If I find one I like right off the wall, will they sell me That very guitar?
Am afraid they'll just order me one, get it shipped in and it might not play as nice as the demo.

Is it pretty reasonable to demand that they sell me the very guitar I tried out?
Not looking to get a "demo" discount, but just get the benefit of it having had a good set-up performed.
Thanks!
2 Kala baritone ukuleles
1 Kala baritone uke/tenor guitar hybrid, steel strings
Oh, and a Z*#&$=#@, Travel size
Old 02-22-2019, 08:01 PM

No. it does not usually get set up by the store.
And, if you are not a regular customer, they may ask you to pay for any extensive setups.
That' s typical of most "big box" stores, but you could encounter something totally different. Good luck !!!

PS: If you find one that you like, they will sell you that very instrument. And, with a big smile on their faces.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Stubs View Post
I was wondering if I go to one of the big name instrument places, and I play a guitar they have hanging up, and I like it, should I assume it's had a set-up done in their shop? Like for string height, action, ease of play, etc.

If I find one I like right off the wall, will they sell me That very guitar?
Am afraid they'll just order me one, get it shipped in and it might not play as nice as the demo.
It can’t be setup until you buy it. It’s like the tailor hemming the pants before he knows who is buying the suit and how long their inseam is. Setups are very individual.
If you like that particular guitar, then take it to the counter and pay for it. I’ve never had them order one, I have always got the one I played. Guitars are a lot more consistent than they used to be IMHO.
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model
Old 02-22-2019, 09:18 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadfulnaught View Post
It can’t be setup until you buy it. It’s like the tailor hemming the pants before he knows who is buying the suit and how long their inseam is. Setups are very individual.
Yep...this. /\

Old 02-22-2019, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

In my experience, the big box stores just take them out of the box and hang them on the rack. So it is luck of the draw. Some might be factory fresh and have a good action from the factory. Others might have been bumped a round, or sat in a hot container for months in shipping, or been hanging their for years with improper humidification.

I've played Martins at GC that have had really good setups and others have been darn near unplayable they were so bad.

Regarding which one you get, most stores prefer you buy the one on the wall to get it out of the store. Many discerning customers actually prefer the opposite though and try to get them to order one to get one that is factory fresh.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:41 PM

Ok, thanks everyone, that gives me more of a clue.
(hard to get a sales person to speak with, is what I've noticed)
2 Kala baritone ukuleles
1 Kala baritone uke/tenor guitar hybrid, steel strings
Oh, and a Z*#&$=#@, Travel size
Old 02-22-2019, 10:51 PM

The guitars are set up by the Factory to Factory specs. This may be too high or to low for you.

The big companies like Martin PLEK all of their instruments to save money. Smaller shops like Larrivee set up by hand.

Most tend to leave it a little high, because lowering is easier than raising the action. Last time I bought a Martin I payed to have a new saddle made because the action was too low (I really hate fret rattle).

Unless I see you play, and know your style, and talk to you about what you want, how would I ever be able to do a setup for you?
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 02-23-2019, 12:19 AM

I know that most factory's set-ups are not consistent (their work keeps me employed). We can acknowledge that "some like it high" and it's easier to lower things than visa versa but there's inconsistency there that doesn't impress me.
Some post shipping movement is possible and sometimes the final stage people just don't do it well.

It's rare but it can happen that a new guitar will have no adjustment left if set-up nicely (it needs a neck reset already) - it's one that shouldn't have left the factory but it did, so there isn't better advice for you than to learn what well made guitar geometry looks like and what a good set-up looks and feels like .. that, or take someone who knows with you.

From my experience most large stores are about moving stock and will only get a guitar seen to if it's not selling. The store I mostly work is ethical but will likely only ask me to set-up a guitar if the customer wants that as part of the purchase.

Last edited by Russ C; 02-23-2019 at 12:34 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:43 AM

Ms. Stubs, I agree with most of the comments in this thread so far, but some exceptions exist. Top notch music stores like Elderly Instruments in Michigan and Gryphon Stringed Instruments in California set up the guitars that come in if need be.

But a local Guitar Center? Probably not.

However, when you purchase a guitar you’re well within your rights to request a set up as part of your purchase price. Now, if you’re purchasing an inexpensive entry level guitar, your chances of getting that included for free are not particularly good. You’d probably have to pay for a set up.

But if you’re getting a more expensive instrument, you’re not being unreasonable to insist on that being part of the deal.

The store will very happily sell you a guitar without mentioning or including a set up, because that’s faster, easier and more profitable for them. But it’s a reasonable request and one that they will honor if you insist upon it and make the sale contingent on it.

They’re not going to include a set up if you don’t ask, but if they know that they’ll lose the sale without one, they’ll comply.

The single biggest problem I generally see with factory actions is that the strings at the nut are left too high, and this makes pressing the strings to the frets more difficult than it needs to be. So if you like everything else about a guitar you think you might purchase but find it kind of stiff to play, request that the action be lowered at the nut.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 02-23-2019, 07:32 AM
Guitar Gourmet

HERE is a little treatise on new guitar setup on my site. Perhaps you'll find something useful there.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-23-2019, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Stubs View Post
...hard to get a sales person to speak with, is what I've noticed
Count your blessings.....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-23-2019, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Martins are usually set a little high, so a simple adjustment can reslve matters if wished.

Gibsons , from my experience, are not set up i any useable way and need considerable work and repair out of the box.

Bourgeois are set up, but tend to be rather low.

Collings are set up to their standard which is 2/32" treble and 3/32" bass.

H&D ...well , no comment.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:46 AM

A friend of mine ran the repair department at a large, well respected and well known brick and mortar store in New York. He said that when he got the job he was appalled at the condition of the guitars on the floor. Ancient strings, horrible setups etc... Both new and used guitars equally. He talked the owner into letting him and his guys spend Friday afternoons setting up guitars in the store. After a year they had the inventory pretty well in control and at that point, they were able to pay real attention to every new guitar before it went out. That kind of thing is not going to happen at a Guitar Center.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ C View Post
It's rare but it can happen that a new guitar will have no adjustment left if set-up nicely (it needs a neck reset already) - it's one that shouldn't have left the factory but it did, so there isn't better advice for you than to learn what well made guitar geometry looks like and what a good set-up looks and feels like .. that, or take someone who knows with you.
Very good advice. Unless you have a lot of experience or take specific measurements, you won't know if an overly high action, once lowered, will reveal a poor neck angle, one that will need a potentially expensive neck reset in the near future, something to avoid on any new instrument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
However, when you purchase a guitar you’re well within your rights to request a set up as part of your purchase price. Now, if you’re purchasing an inexpensive entry level guitar, your chances of getting that included for free are not particularly good. You’d probably have to pay for a set up.
... But it’s a reasonable request and one that they will honor if you insist upon it and make the sale contingent on it.
I'd go one step further on an "expensive" instrument and insist that a condition of the sale is that it be setup to my satisfaction and ensure that after the setup there is sufficient saddle projection above the bridge for future movement.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:37 PM

After I wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton
... But it’s a reasonable request and one that they will honor if you insist upon it and make the sale contingent on it.
Charles responded:

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
I'd go one step further on an "expensive" instrument and insist that a condition of the sale is that it be setup to my satisfaction and ensure that after the setup there is sufficient saddle projection above the bridge for future movement.
Yes, that too.

whm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion