The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-21-2019, 06:50 AM

Default Anyone Using Or Witnessing Baggs Synapse At Gigs?

I'm fascinated with this thing because it seems like a possible solution for a situation which I've been dealing with for four years now. I'd like a more even distribution of sound around the bar area and less sound reaching the restaurant area in back.

SpruceTop's Synapse thread made me aware of this system, but I've seen little about it beyond that.

Last edited by guitaniac; 02-23-2019 at 06:39 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:54 AM

Sorry, I can't help you. I love what I've heard from the Synapse in videos, but WOW they are expensive. That's what's kept me from really looking at one.
http://sptfy.com/94Ue
Old 02-21-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmarino View Post
Sorry, I can't help you. I love what I've heard from the Synapse in videos, but WOW they are expensive. That's what's kept me from really looking at one.
It does indeed seem expensive. We are definitely agreed on that.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:03 AM

Price and weight seem to be the drawbacks. The sound in videos is very good. There are a few products with speaker arrays that will give you the same performance in terms of "beam forming." So far, none of the portable PA systems is a panacea. So, you'll need to pick your poison so to speak.

For what it's worth, I've use the following systems with arrays in various gig situations with success. I had one room I played in that had a very long wine bar that was hard to hit the back of the room without blowing out the people in front.

1. JBL Eon One (weak channel input gain, no mid frequency controls for instruments.)
2. HK Nano 608i (No obvious weaknesses. Price and weight are marginal.)
3. Bose L1 (No obvious sound weaknesses. Very expensive.)
4. Bose S1 Pro (No obvious sound weaknesses. Moderately priced. Might no be loud enough. AeroUSA uses this in bars.)
Old 02-21-2019, 03:11 PM

Thanks for the info, Dave. Price is definitely a drawback for me, but the weight (and the number of trips) would be much less than I'm schlepping in there now.

Feedback considerations would limit the volume, but that would be a good thing in this scenario. Sound travels all too well in this converted old bank building with high ceilings. My concern is to be at a more even and comfortable level for the folks in the front and a more ignorable level for the folks in the back section of the restaurant.

Last edited by guitaniac; 02-23-2019 at 06:40 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Thanks for the info, Dave. Price is definitely a drawback for me, but the weight (and the number of trips) would much less than I'm schlepping in there now.

Feedback considerations would limit the volume, but that would be a good thing in this scenario. Sound travels all too well in this converted old bank building with high ceilings. My concern is to be at a more even and comfortable level for the folks in the front and a more ignorable level for the folks in the back section of the restaurant.
I got mine for $1799 from Sweetwater. Just ask if they can discount it when calling or emailing. By the way, Shoreline offers the Synapse for the same price with the AGF member discount and that's how I leveraged that price with Sweetwater. Shoreline didn't have the Synapse in stock but Sweetwater did, so ...
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-22-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I got mine for $1799 from Sweetwater. Just ask if they can discount it when calling or emailing. By the way, Shoreline offers the Synapse for the same price with the AGF member discount and that's how I leveraged that price with Sweetwater. Shoreline didn't have the Synapse in stock but Sweetwater did, so ...
Thanks! This is good information to know. They must not be "selling like hotcakes" at the moment. I suspect the Synapse is a little out of range for the bulk of the folks doing the type of gigs that it would be best suited for. In our area, the small gigs are still paying about the same (in unadjusted dollar amounts) as in the 70s. Its quite telling that $75 in 1975 had the equivalent purchasing power of $350.90 in 2019.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:12 AM

Yea i was facinated with the synapse when i first
heard about it. But i think if i didnt already have
several options for a pa that it might float my boat.
But as i dont think its any kind of grail and it
does seem overpriced i decided to pass.
But I think if you dont have a pa and you
have two grand to spend on one powered speaker
then this is a good one.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

I don't have the need for one, but if I did it is what I would get. I've heard a couple of people using them and they really sounded very good. I was definitely impressed.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:37 AM

Thanks for the comments, varmonter and The Growler.

I'm realizing that I should have titled this thread "Anyone Using Or Witnessing Baggs Synapse At Gigs?". According to the Baggs promo at least, the Synapse removes the need for a monitor and assures that both the performer(s) and listeners are hearing the same thing.

In any event, listener feedback is just as relevant as user feedback. I'm grateful to get it.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Thanks for the info, Dave. Price is definitely a drawback for me, but the weight (and the number of trips) would be much less than I'm schlepping in there now.
Gary, if you don't mind a 44 lb. PA speaker weight, the Bose F1 Model 812 is currently on sale (price drop) for $899. Of course, although it has two input channels, for effects and more input channels, and whatever else, you'll need a small mixer to feed the F1. This speaker, to me, represents the current ultimate value in tone, power, and sound dispersion. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e-f1-model-812
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-17-2019, 09:55 AM

Default LR Baggs System

So mine came in yesterday. I found a used one. It's a K8 with a wave-guide and a hard cut at 120, so for something so expensive and so heavy, it has zero low end. I mean zero. Recorded music sounds terrible through it.

Guitar and vocals are very clear, the 180-degree dispersion definitely works but it is a touch louder straight-on than it is from the side. I think the high-end horn-generated stuff is the issue but this definitely fires that sideways. The mixer is low-feature (again, for the high price) but it works, the reverb is nice, there are several ways to dial it in.

This system is a conundrum. I have other systems/speakers/gear that will do everything it does, and better, but not at the same time. It's smaller than a Bose L1 model II but has the same power rating (500 W), The Bose sounds better but it's way bigger, and in three awkward, heavy pieces. My ASG-150 (absolutely amazing amp and they're not available anymore unless you can find a used one) sounds better and has a better low end, but doesn't disperse sound anywhere near as well. It's uglier than any of my other systems--the wave guide looks like a plastic face guard mask. (But it works, so there's that.) I think my Bose Compact sounds better on the highs and lows but has the most rudimentary mixer with no effects at all or phantom power or I/O options. The Synapse is also one thing instead of two (though you need a speaker stand to get the most out of it).

But the most important thing if you're thinking of buying one: if this thing cost what a Schertler Tom does ($1400) it's a world-beater--it's perfect as a second PA system for small places or no-frills load-ins, or certain strange sound situations (see below). But at $2000, it's offered-up as a super-premium item when, minus the mixer and super-high dispersion, there are dozens of better-sounding PA speakers that cost less than a third of the price (QSC, RCF, dbT, etc.).

I may very well keep it, since I found it used at about the price of a Tom. I'm going to take it out into the wild on Saturday to see what it's like. I see it also as a good option when you're playing a stage facing a bar's latitudinal opposite wall, you can place it in the middle of the short wall and fire it downfield and it'll get the audience and stage at the same time. So there's also that versatility argument. If anyone's thinking about buying one and wants to hear how that goes, I'm happy to talk about it (of course I am, that's why I'm here). Again, there's that PRICE.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:26 AM

Thanks for the extensive appraisal. Unfortunately, I need something with a good bass response as I sing down to a B1 (61.7 Hz) on occasion. I had to get rid of two Audix OM5 mics because of poor bass response. The OM7s, on the other hand, work well for me.

Last edited by guitaniac; 12-17-2019 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renuzittostars View Post
So mine came in yesterday. I found a used one. It's a K8 with a wave-guide and a hard cut at 120, so for something so expensive and so heavy, it has zero low end. I mean zero. Recorded music sounds terrible through it.
[...] My ASG-150 (absolutely amazing amp and they're not available anymore unless you can find a used one) sounds better and has a better low end, but doesn't disperse sound anywhere near as well.
Thanks for the feedback!

In the case someone wants an ASG-150 they were produced for Godin by SR technology (...I think). When Schetler bought SR Technology, some guys started their own company called ACUS.

They make the same amps (ASG 150 = ACUS Simon 8)
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 12-17-2019, 12:56 PM

Default ASG-150

It's the same poweramp/mixer but the Godin has the tilt-back box. Otherwise, they're the same. I use that tilt-back box extensively.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification