The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-02-2019, 05:27 AM

I'm from the other side of this. I actually can't understand why people say fingerpicking is harder, because I can't use a pick to save my life, but fingerpicking comes naturally. No idea what that's about.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 02-02-2019, 07:58 AM

I started playing back in the mid-70s, surrounded by friends who were all from the “folk revival” period. Fingerpicking on steel strings with picks was the standard.
Often, these were one-mic clubs and you needed the volume.... Hold the guitar up to the mic for “hot licks”.....

But almost at the same time, I discovered bluegrass and started learning to flatpick as well... Side by side.

That’s still the case today.... I don’t flatpick much anymore, but I can still churn out a solid bluegrass rythym and a few fiddle tunes.

My fingerstyle playing has evolved... I play mostly jazz chord-melody stuff on a nylon-string guitar using classical technique... But I also play my cigar-box resonator fingerstyle with picks, and I’ve been fooling with those early jazz-blues fingerstyle tunes ala’ Stefan Grossman and others.

I’ve never been able to master hybrid picking. The finger position dictated by holding the pick with the index seems quite alien after playing in the “classical” position for so long, and getting a balanced sound almost impossible.
The picked bass notes are too loud, and fingers/nails on steel strings are a disaster for me....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write