The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-03-2021, 12:55 PM

Default Strap locks on a Yamaha FG830?

Hello, friends.

I just picked up a (nearly) new Yamaha FG830, and I'd like to install a strap lock system so I can quickly/easily remove the strap when I stash it in it's hard case. I'd also like to install the same strap lock (i.e. the D'Addario Universal Strap Lock) on my other Yamahas (an FG800 and an FS800)

Unfortunately, all three of my Yamahas are fitted with stock "push pin" style buttons rather than the typical style that's attached using a small wood screw.

Aside from removing the stock pins, filling the hole somehow, and redrilling... Does anyone have any advice on how to install aftermarket locking strap buttons on Yamaha FG series guitars?

Maybe there's some way to through-bolt a new strap button into the oversized hole that would be left behind if I pulled out the plastic button?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Cheers,

~Alex
Old 06-03-2021, 01:32 PM

This is what the end pins look like, FYI.

It looks to me like there will be a ~1/4” hole left behind if I remove the plastic pin.

https://replacementremotecontrols.co...strap-end-pin/
Old 06-04-2021, 05:51 AM

The easiest solution is to just buy strap locks -- on Amazon, eBay, or from a guitar store -- drill holes, and install them in a suitable location on your guitars.

There's little to no risk to doing this, as long as you have a drill bit that is slightly smaller than the strap button thread.

Good luck!

Last edited by geelinus; 06-04-2021 at 06:04 AM.
Old 06-04-2021, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geelinus View Post
The easiest solution is to buy strap buttons -- on Amazon, eBay, or from a guitar store -- drill holes, and install them in a suitable location on your guitars.

There's little to no risk to doing this, as long as you have a drill bit that is slightly smaller than the strap button thread.

Good luck!
The question he asks is about the end pin. They are the kind that push into the bottom of the guitar, instead of the output jack style for guitars that have pickup installed.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 06-04-2021, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
The question he asks is about the end pin. They are the kind that push into the bottom of the guitar, instead of the output jack style for guitars that have pickup installed.
Sorry for any confusion. I originally meant to write "strap locks" instead of "strap buttons" - (See my edit above) .

I'd just leave the plastic endpin in the guitar. I'd also place a small piece of wood or plastic inside the guitar and screw into it for reinforcement - or pick a spot that lines up with an existing brace.

Last edited by geelinus; 06-04-2021 at 06:10 AM.
Old 06-04-2021, 06:24 AM

Look inside your guitar using a small mirror. The end pin area normally has a large tail block glued there, so you shouldn't have any need to add reinforcement.

Strap lock buttons vary a bit in what they need to attach to, but if I were doing this job I'd drill out the existing pin hole to 3/8" using a Forstner bit and glue a section of 3/8" dowel in the bored hole where the strap lock will be installed.

Trim / sand the protruding bit of dowel and install the new strap lock button.

If you work carefully the strap lock button will cover the dowel and will look like it came from the factory that way.
Old 06-04-2021, 03:00 PM

Thanks guys.

On second thought, I think I’m going to go with a simpler solution and try out a D’Addario “Auto Lock” strap rather than messing with the guitar itself.

I don’t want that strap lock bad enough to start drilling and glueing...
Old 06-05-2021, 05:48 AM

There are quite a few systems that use a short leather tether under the endpin, and the straplock is attached to this tether. I use the LOXX version but there are plenty of other suppliers. You drill and attach the other straplock in the usual way.
Here's a link to the LOXX site but you can find them online in most countries.

https://www.loxx.shop/en/music/acous...o-nickel/a-466
Old 06-05-2021, 06:29 AM

Never has seemed that difficult or time consuming to remove the strap from normal acoustic strap buttons.
Old 06-05-2021, 06:53 AM

Personally I've never felt a need to install a strap lock system on any acoustic I've owned. It's pretty darn hard to have a strap accident with a light acoustic guitar if your strap fits the pins properly. In my own humble opinion (which you didn't ask for ) it seems like overkill. But that's just my own perspective.

Easier and cheaper than strap locks - get some of those rubber washer-looking thinks that fit over the strap button on top of the strap, for those occasions where you want extra security. I've used those on my electrics for years. Very effective.

Another thing I don't like about strap locks - when you remove the strap from the guitar, your strap is now fitted with weighty metal objects. One false swing of the strap and you've got a nice ding in your guitar (if that sort of thing bothers you).

I realize I've offered opinions here that don't answer your question, but I guess I'm just offering a different perspective.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair