The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-17-2021, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Default Wood veneer tops on CF guitars - are they as weather resistant?

Will a wood topped CF guitar still be weather resistant like a purely CF guitar?
Longtime wooden guitar player here interested in my first CF guitar.
Follow up question, your favorite CF guitar brand? ( sorry if this repeats a discussion.)
Old 06-17-2021, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Emerald guitars "woody tops" are actually made of CF with only a very thin layer of veneer fused to the composite that is only there for decorative purpose. These tops are supposed to be as impervious to humidity and temperature changes as their "standard" CF tops.

From what I understood Rainsong is actually using a thicker layer of spruce "cooked" with a layer of CF to make their SFT tops. The wood is used to give a mellower tone to the guitars, not only for the looks. It's also supposed to be fully resistant to humidity and temperature variations.

Another option is the eco-friendly composite used by Blackbird guitars called eKoa. Made of flax fibers, looks very organic almost like wood, and sounds the most "authentic"/wood-like compared to other composite brands. Their latest iteration of the Savoy and El Capitan are very resistant to humidity and temperature changes, but less so than CF (linen is hydrophile after all).

I would have a hard time to pick my favorite brand for composite guitars...
Right now I have a McPherson Sable which has in my opinion the best tone among carbon guitars and a satin neck that is just amazing... but it's heavy, expensive and quite ugly

Emerald has the most ergonomic instruments shape wise, very innovative and bombproof. The X20 is my favorite, and it looks super cool (not for everybody though!). Plus you can chose between many guitars and many options, the veneer, the pickup systems etc...

If money is no object and you don't plan to go for some extreme conditions (I mean really extreme!) I would probably go for a Blackbird El Capitan. It sounds fantastic, very loud and "woody", plays well and looks really good (even more so with a burst!).

Argh, so many choices!!!
Old 06-17-2021, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

ToF covered the durability, they are tough. My favorite is the Sable too, but I think it is beautiful.
Old 06-17-2021, 11:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tøf View Post
Emerald guitars "woody tops" are actually made of CF with only a very thin layer of veneer fused to the composite that is only there for decorative purpose. These tops are supposed to be as impervious to humidity and temperature changes as their "standard" CF tops.

From what I understood Rainsong is actually using a thicker layer of spruce "cooked" with a layer of CF to make their SFT tops. The wood is used to give a mellower tone to the guitars, not only for the looks. It's also supposed to be fully resistant to humidity and temperature variations.

Another option is the eco-friendly composite used by Blackbird guitars called eKoa. Made of flax fibers, looks very organic almost like wood, and sounds the most "authentic"/wood-like compared to other composite brands. Their latest iteration of the Savoy and El Capitan are very resistant to humidity and temperature changes, but less so than CF (linen is hydrophile after all).

I would have a hard time to pick my favorite brand for composite guitars...

Right now I have a McPherson Sable which has in my opinion the best tone among carbon guitars and a satin neck that is just amazing... but it's heavy, expensive and quite ugly

Emerald has the most ergonomic instruments shape wise, very innovative and bombproof. The X20 is my favorite, and it looks super cool (not for everybody though!). Plus you can chose between many guitars and many options, the veneer, the pickup systems etc...

If money is no object and you don't plan to go for some extreme conditions (I mean really extreme!) I would probably go for a Blackbird El Capitan. It sounds fantastic, very loud and "woody", plays well and looks really good (even more so with a burst!).

Argh, so many choices!!!

Thank you for this excellent info! I will look further at Emerald and Blackbird. I did not know about Blackbird, and I love organic!
Old 06-19-2021, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellHawaii View Post
Will a wood topped CF guitar still be weather resistant like a purely CF guitar?
Longtime wooden guitar player here interested in my first CF guitar.
Follow up question, your favorite CF guitar brand? ( sorry if this repeats a discussion.)
Yes, they're as weather-resistant as straight-up, no chaser carbon fiber tops. You've already got some wonderful wooden acoustic guitars, so, let me suggest that you consider a RainSong Classic Series WS1000 for the pure unadulterated tone and looks of carbon fiber, and rejoice in your choice! I've had a dozen RainSongs and loved them and I've now got an Emerald which I also love. I dig the tone and looks of carbon fiber without any add-on nod to wood.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 06-19-2021 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-20-2021, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

Yes, the wood veneer tops are weather resistant. More like weather-proof. I would have no problem playing any CF guitar I've owned in any weather, other than the lack of comfort playing in bad weather would be for ME!

Both the Emerald and RainSong wood fused tops are basically the same as a full CF top from a weather resistance standpoint. But they look way cooler (Emerald) or more traditional (RainSong).

The RainSong wood layer is thicker than the Emeralds, so in that case the wood actually does affect the tone in that it makes it more warmer, taming some of the brash trebles that wood traditionalists don't like with CF guitars.

Lots of choices and options in terms of sizes, styles and other customizations with both the Emeralds and RainSongs. I've owned 5 Emeralds and 3 RainSongs. Great guitars!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber