The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-11-2015, 01:18 PM

Default effect pedals to get warm sound

Hello guys, Its' the first time to write here.

I use pedal board, Red-eye Di, Wet reverb, korg tuner, AMT LLM-2 volume pedal.

and I'd like to add some pedals to make sound warmer.

Now strumming sound is good enough, but that of fingering isn't perfect to my ear. Its a little chilly.

Is there anything to get recommendation?

thanks.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:30 PM

Would a graphical EQ pedal like the MXR 108 or MXR 109 do the trick? You would want to tone down the treble and increase the lower mids and bass.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:53 PM
Guest316

moved from general
Old 12-11-2015, 07:25 PM

What a lot of people think in terms of warm is tube sound. So if you were to get a tube preamp for example then it will 'warm' up the sound.

A compressor could give a similar effects
Old 12-11-2015, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

It would help to know what pickup system you have in your guitar(s)... frequently, there can be slight tweaking done to a pickup that will shift it's tonal centers, before having to do anything else...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 12-11-2015, 09:49 PM

Unless I missed it..?...I'd also ask..what guitar do you have?

Basically, you can "accentuate", but not truly produce what you don't have already. For an example...I had a Alvarez Yairi DY59 for years that was a beautiful strummer. Finally passed it along and got a Taylor 214...grand auditorium body (SATIN finish top and a great fingerpicker!)

That went to my daughter as a first guitar...acquired a Martin that I swapped for a Taylor 612CE that I LOVE. This works "ok" for bare fingerpicking (great with picks) and fabulous for strumming!

So, summing it up...yes, you can EQ the sound up to enhance a bit of low-end. But, you'll lose out on the richness if the body-style & top aren't conducive to fingerpicking subtleties.

If your guitar isn't a "natural" fingerpicker by design, I'd say a Fishman Aura or similar style pedal may help...but, nothing quite like the real deal.

All the best!
BradM

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><
Old 12-11-2015, 10:47 PM

Different strings can help
Old 12-12-2015, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

The new Baggs Session DI sounds like it could be right up your alley.

-Mike
Old 12-12-2015, 08:34 PM

try the mini-sized Xotic EP Booster, it will give you a little boost in the low mids and a little push to the top end - many electric players use that as an "always on" pedal as it adds a nice little some-something to your tone. It is supposed to be based on the pre-amp circuit in the old Echo-Plex box. It kind of reminds me of that "Loudness" button that was on stereo receivers in the 80's, same kind of low & high end little boost to the overall signal.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:33 PM

Sansamp Para DI
Old 12-15-2015, 01:08 PM

If what you want is a warm and fairly true acoustic sound you must start with your pickup. You can help a poor sounding pickup sound better but not much and nobody really has a magic pedal that has all the answers. However if a pedal is what you want get something designed for acoustic guitar pickups by a company who specializes in that! There are a few, Baggs, Fishman, Radial, etc. You should be able to mostly get what you want with a decent EQ. Gear made primarily for electric guitars can be used for acoustics but it won't work well! Also consider what you play through. Best acoustic response will come from a full range PA. Everything else changes in degrees as you move away from full range and quality.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:59 AM

The best approach to amplification is to reproduce the natural sound of your instrument. An already great-sounding guitar paired with a high-end pick up should be all you need to generate a full-spectrum, transparent signal. However, with a sub-par instrument, you'll be wasting time and money trying to make it sound better with effects and processing.

Also, if you're playing live, make sure to buy your sound guy Starbucks and take the time to work with him on your sound. Nothing is more frustrating than spending time and $$ on your front-end set up only to have it butchered by an inexperienced PA tech.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:54 AM

The most important things:

1) What kind of guitar is it?

2) What kind of pickup is it?
Old 12-20-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilemike View Post
The new Baggs Session DI sounds like it could be right up your alley.

-Mike
+1 This is basically an effects pedal in a D.I. format. View this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA7N2h0RgTU
Old 12-20-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlight View Post
The best approach to amplification is to reproduce the natural sound of your instrument. An already great-sounding guitar paired with a high-end pick up should be all you need to generate a full-spectrum, transparent signal. However, with a sub-par instrument, you'll be wasting time and money trying to make it sound better with effects and processing.

Also, if you're playing live, make sure to buy your sound guy Starbucks and take the time to work with him on your sound. Nothing is more frustrating than spending time and $$ on your front-end set up only to have it butchered by an inexperienced PA tech.
This is the most insightful and helpful post. I'm particularly amused at the notion of buying your sound tech Starbucks. If there is one thing I would add it is I find less is more- but I also realize that there are many players who need "more" in order to pull off what they do.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
effecter, pedal, warm