The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-23-2015, 09:22 AM

Default Trance Amulet M install - how difficult and how long?

looking at getting one but wow, sure looks like a hassle even compared to a K and K ? Anyone installed and any idea how long it takes so I can get an idea of cost when I send to my luthier
He has never installed one of these

Thanks
Old 12-23-2015, 09:39 AM
AGF Sponsor

It's a little more involved than a K&K, but only because of the cure time. You need to adhere one lens, and clamp it lightly for 8-12 hours before doing the 2nd one. Should you finish the install and find that you prefer slightly relocating the lens for a warmer tone, brighter tone, or to solve any string-to-string balance issues, it's just time-consuming but not that the luthier is working on it for hours. Its the wait time. Technically the install takes 2 12-hour sessions but the work is less than 2.

From my experience, my bandmate's experience and the feedback we get from happy customers - it's well worth it and I recommend this pickup to everyone who's looking for the best SBT. My .02 and best of luck!
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 12-23-2015, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

The Trance can be a little more involved than the K&K the first time you install. Just reading the directions takes quite a while! But in the end, it's no more complex than the K&K, and arguably a bit easier - double sticky tape instead of glue. If you follow the instructions, you'll do at least 2 installs, with the white tape, then the red, with restringing, etc. My experience was that the trial install with the white tape was useless, other than as a practice run to make you feel confident about the process with easily removable tape. (The red stuff removes easily, too, tho)

The guys at Gryphon, who have installed 100s now, say they have seen no benefit from long clamp times, and just reach in and stick the pickups on, hold by hand for a few minutes, and they're done. I used this approach on my most recent install, and it sounds very good to me. (Of course, you may want to stick to the manufacturer's recommendations).

But all in all, now that I've done the install a few times, a full install, including making a template, unstringing, placing the pickups, endpin, battery, restringing and testing, would probably take less than an hour. If you skipped the template, it literally comes down to putting on the tape, reaching inside and sticking it on. Can't get much faster than that!

It does depend on how much experimenting you want to do. With K&K's you have no option - glue them in, and you're done, (and hopefully, it sounds good). With the Trance, you have the option to try it, move it a hair and try again, repeat infinitely. So you certainly could spend days or weeks or months tweaking. But you don't have to, and if you have someone professionally install it, they aren't going to do that, they'll just stick them in the standard place and it'll be done, so you can do the same.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:04 PM

Default Amulet

Great thanks everyone for your input

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification