The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-20-2015, 11:09 AM

Default Question on Grace Felix Demo

I am fasinated by the seemingly complete options on the Felix, looks awesome. But in hearing this demo, they dual source a DPA mic and a K&K pickup. At 8:20 on the demo you hear only the K&K and it sounds terrible? Mine never sounded that bad. In looking at the dials they seemed to have rolled off the highs and mids, maybe to let the mic fills those in? Anyway since I have the K&K Trinity it has me concerned?
http://youtu.be/w4r2wu8iv4Q
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 12-20-2015, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
I am fasinated by the seemingly complete options on the Felix, looks awesome. But in hearing this demo, they dual source a DPA mic and a K&K pickup. At 8:20 on the demo you hear only the K&K and it sounds terrible? Mine never sounded that bad. In looking at the dials they seemed to have rolled off the highs and mids, maybe to let the mic fills those in? Anyway since I have the K&K Trinity it has me concerned?
Yes, I believe what they're trying to do is show you what a dual source setup could be like, with each source EQ'd differently, and listening to the individual pieces. The point would be that the blend sounds good, but not necessarily the individual pieces. It's be like shutting off the tweeters on your stereo system and saying "this is what the woofers sound like".

Felix is a very high quality preamp, it's going to pass thru exactly what comes in. It sounds very good with everything I've tried with it, including the K&K. The only case I could imagine where someone wouldn't like it is if they're looking to deliberately color their sound - the Baggs Session DI being a good example. It also sounds great, but in a different way, and what you put in is definitely not what comes out. With the Grace, you'll get "your pickup, only louder"
Old 12-21-2015, 03:36 AM

Thanks much Doug
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 12-21-2015, 09:43 PM

just gotr one of these..with xmas coming up not sure i will get to it .. But i could do a review for this forum ..time not withstanding ..but I have to sit down and figure the thing out first...it doesn't look all that complicated ..but i just got it today so..
Lots of gigs coming up to help tweak it in jan/feb ..So it won't take to long.
i bought it specifically to a/b guitar and mando..now i think i will need
an a/b switch..in reading the manual it seems the only way to do one cord with two instruments would be an a/b box..or rewire one inst to run off the ring and the other the tip..and use the blending function..but i don't want to do that.

Can't wait to try this thing out.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:03 AM

Why do you only want to have one cable? As you know, there is a dip switch on the left panel that changes the stomp switch from A+B to A/B. No matter what you do you're still going to have two cables. Are you trying to avoid having separate instrument cables to the instruments themselves?
Old 12-22-2015, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
I suspect that they set it up this way to allow the more feedback resistant K&K to carry the lower frequencies, then mixed in the mic, tweaked to focus on the higher freq's -- sort of what the Baggs Anthem tries to do.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberkowitz View Post
Why do you only want to have one cable? As you know, there is a dip switch on the left panel that changes the stomp switch from A+B to A/B. No matter what you do you're still going to have two cables. Are you trying to avoid having separate instrument cables to the instruments themselves?
Yes ..I want to mute the felix ..unplug one inst. hang the cord on the mike stand ..and plug in the other inst.then toggle to the other channel/unmute(two seperate eq settings for mando and guitar).If i leave 2 inst plugged in
I will be wrapped up in cords....If i get an A/b switch i can have
2 short cords on the floor running to channel 1 and 2..and one cord into the
instruments.This is one feature felix did not think of...kind of important..
But an easy fix with something like this..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Saturnworks-...EAAOSwv0tVSEu~)

Unfortunately one more thing in my signal chain..

Last edited by varmonter; 12-22-2015 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:02 PM

Yep. Whirlwind makes one. You want one with good isolation between the channels.

Last edited by dberkowitz; 12-22-2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberkowitz View Post
Yep. Whirlwind makes one. You want one with good isolation between the channels.
Thanks ..I think this Saturnworks is a decent unit. If not ..well thats what ebay is for.LOL

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification