The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-13-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee1 View Post
Am a hybrid picker.. Can get a Chet sound with rhythm and melody. Much more pleasing to me and sounds fuller playing solo.
One of my problems is I'm a thumb and 2 finger finger style player. I try my best to incorporate my 3rd finger, but its really weak, and always sounds better if I just forget about it. So Hybrid leaves me with the pick and one good finger, and I can get a decent rhythm going, but not like my finger picking. Just need to train that ring finger to really get the most out of it though.
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Old 04-13-2020, 05:16 PM

Learned how to flatpick but have been exclusive fingerpicker in the past 2-3 y. Love it.

Ll.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:26 PM

I do both but am a better flatpicker.
Old 04-14-2020, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolbury View Post
One of my problems is I'm a thumb and 2 finger finger style player. I try my best to incorporate my 3rd finger, but its really weak, and always sounds better if I just forget about it. So Hybrid leaves me with the pick and one good finger, and I can get a decent rhythm going, but not like my finger picking....
That describes me. Two-finger travis picking since 1962. I could do bump-ditty country flat picking but thought it simple and boring. And hybrid picking was and still is awkward.
But a few years ago on YouTube I saw complex picking. First with the songs of Steve Goodman, then with Clarence White, Norman Blake, David Grier. It is a new challenge, even more interesting than finger picking.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:54 PM

OK, this got me thinking about what I'm actually doing when I play. So I went through my repertoire and came up with this (percentages add to more than 100% since I often use multiple techniques in a song):

47%: Strum with pick, but adding a lot of bass notes
36%: Strum with pick (without the bass note work)
21%: Flatpick riffs or fills without strumming
19%: Fingerpick (often, but not always, Travis picking)
19%: Flatpick solos
14%: Flatpick Arpeggios (often with a little mini-strum at the top of the arpeggio)
05%: Strum with fingers (this is always for fingerpicked songs that have a strummed part)
03%: Straight-ahead flatpicking. I have a few bluegrassy songs like this

So, I guess I have a pick in my hand more often than not, but I'm comfortable with all of these techniques.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write