The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-28-2011, 07:36 PM

Default Flash Gordon Soundtrack - Need Help w/ Some Chords

All,

I'm a big fan of the 1980 sci fi movie, 'Flash Gordon'. I've been trying to learn some of the songs on the soundtrack, which, as many of you know, was composed by Queen. The second song on the soundtrack, titled 'In The Space Capsule (The Love Theme)', begins with two chords that sound very exotic. Synthesizer music begins to play right after these intro chords are played. I've been trying and trying to figure out what chords they are, but to no avail. Could someone please help me out? Here is the song:

http://youtu.be/AIl7C38Jgys

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-28-2011, 08:37 PM

Tune your low E down to D and play these two fingerings:

Barre entire second fret and finger fourth string, fourth fret (third finger); and first string, fourth fret (pinkie) (don't play fifth string): not sure what to call it (F#min add 9/E?; Amaj7 add 6/E?)

Sixth string open; fifth string, fifth fret (pinkie); fourth string, fourth fret (third finger); third, second, and first strings, barre second fret (first finger): Dmaj7

Does this sound close?
Old 12-01-2011, 11:04 AM

Smile Thanks

bishopdm,

Yes, that's it! I was almost there, but wasn't dropping the low E to D. Also, a couple of fingers were not in the right places. They're much easier chords than I thought. Now if I can just figure out how to get that cool Brian May tone...LOL! Thanks for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopdm View Post
Tune your low E down to D and play these two fingerings:

Barre entire second fret and finger fourth string, fourth fret (third finger); and first string, fourth fret (pinkie) (don't play fifth string): not sure what to call it (F#min add 9/E?; Amaj7 add 6/E?)

Sixth string open; fifth string, fifth fret (pinkie); fourth string, fourth fret (third finger); third, second, and first strings, barre second fret (first finger): Dmaj7

Does this sound close?
Old 12-01-2011, 11:07 AM

You're welcome! I'm glad I could help.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write