The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-10-2024, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Default And it continues….

Last week 2 new AKG C214s…scheduled to arrive tomorrow - New Mixer Day. So between the Amps mics software and the new mixer I’m asking my boss for a month off for a deeply religious month of solitude to awaken my creative processes. He just laughed laughed and laughed the mountain he was drinking right out his nose. You realize I blame this website and forum for my latest addictions...

IMG_1704902441.438492.jpgIMG_1704902495.693869.jpgIMG_1704902518.815239.jpgIMG_1704902543.068498.jpg
Old 01-11-2024, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjFuzzyMcPickle View Post
Last week 2 new AKG C214s…scheduled to arrive tomorrow - New Mixer Day. So between the Amps mics software and the new mixer I’m asking my boss for a month off for a deeply religious month of solitude to awaken my creative processes. He just laughed laughed and laughed the mountain he was drinking right out his nose. You realize I blame this website and forum for my latest addictions...
There is a reason that originally the most popular forum web site for studio engineers was called Gear Slutz , with AGF -Record, being a microcosm of said GAS
Yes Alice this Rabbit Hole is both deep and wide .

What started as a simple home set up with G4 MacBook , a Digi 002, and Studio Projects C1 mic 20 years ago, has morphed into ::

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 01-11-2024 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-11-2024, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

35 years ago I thought I was done with recording. Back in the days when there was only rosewood & mahogany guitars. When there was only super expensive recording equipment. And then I found the Acoustic Guitar Forum. I found out that a new era of glorious sounding acoustic guitars with new woods and bracing techniques.

Then I found AGF Recording...and found that it was no longer as expensive as it once was to get a good recording. Or so I thought?

But all is good! Not only am I learning about recording, I have met some wonderful, caring, fellow musicians through AGF recording. I have learned many real life recording lessons on AGF recording. While I have learned some very interesting things on Gearslutz(now Gearspace) I find it to mostly be a bragging gear fest. And none of the brotherhood, that I find here.

There are very few things in life that can offer you as much inner joy and self accomplishment as music does. Recording our music is proof of our existence in the music world.
Old 01-11-2024, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

As a raw novice to recording, I get your fascinating situation/ordeal DJfuzzy....

My interest in recording started about a year ago with a simple comment to my son saying, "I'd like to be able to record some of what your mom and I am playing."

Of course being the awesome fun son he is, he showed up with an interface as a father's day gift, and since then we have been collecting studio speakers, assorted cables, another microphone, etc...

Previously, as in years ago, my only experience recording was to play guitar in a group and one of the other guys had the recording gear.

I have virtually no clue what I am doing, but have to admit that my wife and I are really having fun with it, learning about DAWs, how to set things up, room preps, different mics, etc....

Off to shop for more!
Old 01-12-2024, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
There is a reason that originally the most popular forum web site for studio engineers was called Gear Slutz , with AGF -Record, being a microcosm of said GAS
Yes Alice this Rabbit Hole is both deep and wide [/img]
Holy 1.21 giggawatts Dr KEvWind...that is a sweet set up. I'm gonna have questions folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catndahats View Post
As a raw novice to recording, I get your fascinating situation/ordeal DJfuzzy.... My interest in recording started about a year ago with a simple comment to my son saying, "I'd like to be able to record some of what your mom and I am playing." Of course being the awesome fun son he is, he showed up with an interface as a father's day gift, and since then we have been collecting studio speakers, assorted cables, another microphone, etc...Previously, as in years ago, my only experience recording was to play guitar in a group and one of the other guys had the recording gear. I have virtually no clue what I am doing, but have to admit that my wife and I are really having fun with it, learning about DAWs, how to set things up, room preps, different mics, etc....Off to shop for more!
Well 1st off - Good Kid!! I was obviously a Dj and a Sound guy for 28 /35 yrs overall. And although played guitar since I was 15, never learned much about recording and after all the years of learning Dj software, general apps, helping with house sound 100's of times I had / have a general knowledge of boards. That said...that's about where it ends. I decided to start learning for a similar and yet completely different reason both. It's the newest addiction in the never ending world of there goes my $$. So trust me...We'll figure it out together because even though Presonus Studio One 6 is great software, I feel like I need a college course.

Where I got reeeeaaaaalllllllly LUCKY!! One of the GC's here in the Minneapolis area I ran into a kid (30ish) who has his degree in engineering and taught at one of the areas best schools in the Midwest IPR (Institute Production Recording) has been giving me 2 hr sessions for a very reasonable rate. Swings by every couple of months having only my 3rd session here on sunday. I feel like I'm sooooo lost on soooo many things is an understatement to say the least. Without his help, I'd be as lost as could be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticDreams View Post
35 years ago I thought I was done with recording. Back in the days when there was only rosewood & mahogany guitars. When there was only super expensive recording equipment. And then I found the Acoustic Guitar Forum. I found out that a new era of glorious sounding acoustic guitars with new woods and bracing techniques.

Then I found AGF Recording...and found that it was no longer as expensive as it once was to get a good recording. Or so I thought?

But all is good! Not only am I learning about recording, I have met some wonderful, caring, fellow musicians through AGF recording. I have learned many real life recording lessons on AGF recording. While I have learned some very interesting things on Gearslutz(now Gearspace) I find it to mostly be a bragging gear fest. And none of the brotherhood, that I find here.

There are very few things in life that can offer you as much inner joy and self accomplishment as music does. Recording our music is proof of our existence in the music world.
Since you probably don't know my story and many most on here don't (many do and were amazingly helpful during this time) Let's just say I went through the worst possible injury possible to anyone especialy someone who's a musician (GUITAR ESPECIALy) and had to basically completely re-learn to play opposite hand / dominate hand. From righty to a lefty. Your post resonantes HUUUUGE with a big part of why I do this. No delusions of granduer. Just love learning the process of recording as long as I'm sort of starting over. (switched 4+ yrs ago and killing it!

Last edited by DjFuzzyMcPickle; 01-12-2024 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-12-2024, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

It’s hereIMG_1705115323.275664.jpg
Old 01-14-2024, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catndahats View Post
My interest in recording started about a year ago with a simple comment to my son saying, "I'd like to be able to record some of what your mom and I am playing."
Similar story here. I wanted to record what I was playing, so I started with a couple of inexpensive condenser mics and stands and an audio interface, which came with a DAW. I thought I was set, but then I needed headphones, and then monitors, and monitor stands, and more cables, better mics, an interface with more ports, a DAW upgrade, a bit of room treatment...

Well, you get the picture. It is definitely a rabbit hole.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD