The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-21-2020, 12:03 PM

Feedback from OU:

1. We haven’t seen the frets wear out yet, so I don’t really know how long they will last.
2. Yes, we offer the twin pickup for the guitar.
3. Yes, you can order or two strap buttons. The second button would be installed on the neck.
Old 04-21-2020, 03:04 PM
Guest 928

And so, has anyone ordered one of these? If not, I think we should push Kramster to the front--if he doesn't have one, he should. And then he can play it for us, give us a review, throw in a couple of lake and other front pictures.

He's probably taking a nap right now, but he'll eventually wake up.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:06 PM
Guest 928

While waiting for Kramster to finish his nap, I re-read the thread and found that I missed the fact that the frets are molded. My first thought was how do you re-fret? And then I read the part about the company coming out with replacement necks. It seems to me that it would be cheaper to do standard fretting than making a new neck--but I don't know. I wonder what the neck will cost?
Old 04-22-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
And so, has anyone ordered one of these? If not, I think we should push Kramster to the front--if he doesn't have one, he should. And then he can play it for us, give us a review, throw in a couple of lake and other front pictures.

He's probably taking a nap right now, but he'll eventually wake up.
I think he is calling naps = social distancing :-)
Old 04-22-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
While waiting for Kramster to finish his nap, I re-read the thread and found that I missed the fact that the frets are molded.
I have been noodling on this point. Their carbon poly is pretty tough and after 2+ years have had no issues with my tenor and soprano ukes. I know that they use only Fluorocarbon Strings but I believe their guitar is more like a baritone uke with 6 strings ... meaning not like a proper guitar that you can really dig into. Given that the bass strings are coated... perhaps fret ware will be minimum. Will have to see.... They have only been shipping for a couple of months so may be a while before we know ...
Old 04-22-2020, 05:04 PM

I have not seen one of their new guitars in person, but I have played several of their ukulele. I have a couple of Fluke and Flea ukes too, both with molded integral frets. So far I have not noticed any abnormal fret wear on those after several years, even using my preferred wound low G string. The fact that they could provide a replacement bolted neck would assuage my fears about eventual fret wear, although that likely won't be a really cheap option. I really doubt that any coating would prevent or slow down fret wear. If they are using heavier unwound strings for the low E and A that would be useful.

The bigger concern to me is the very short 20" scale length. You correctly identify that as more like a baritone ukulele but with six strings. At least it is a 1.75" nut width. We have a CA Cargo and I find the 22.75" scale length a bit cramped, just as I did when we had a 23.5" scale GS Mini. The 24" scale of the Emerald X7 is nice, although I would not want to go any shorter. I play 17" scale tenor ukes all the time, but that is only four strings. I guess that trying one is the only real option.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:02 PM
Guest 928

Good thinking Earl. It's nice having options and since Kramster is still sleeping you have a chance to be first scout. I look forward to your reports.
Old 04-23-2020, 03:06 PM
Guest 928

Whoever gets one of these, I'm really curious about a sound hole in the back of a guitar--is that designed to help the player feel the music? If I got my hands on one of these, I'd play it and then tape over the back hole and play it again--it seems to me that the back hole would dilute the sound.
Old 04-23-2020, 04:30 PM

You want to completely cover that hole using something with a little bit of mass to it, not just lightweight tape. Cardboard backing from a legal pad, for example. Seal it airtight all around. I predict very little difference, since that decorative hole will usually be pressed against your body anyway in the playing position. It is a cool feature though.

I wish Outdoor Uke well and would love to try it out, but won't be getting one. I'm far more in a downsizing and selling off mood than adding anything these days. But I have read their web site from the start. I was interested at one point a couple of years ago in getting one of their ukulele, but I have plenty of ukes too. Even after selling a couple recently, the hall closet is full of ukulele and their cases. My ultimate goal is to get down to my Emerald guitars, my original Rainsong WS-1000, and my Blackbird Farallon ukulele.
Old 04-25-2020, 06:49 AM

Nice video of the Outdoor Guitar finger picked.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_Ytdmyn...=1tzddo9b0mkyl

In different times I would jump right on this for a test run!
Old 04-25-2020, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
Nice video of the Outdoor Guitar finger picked.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_Ytdmyn...=1tzddo9b0mkyl

In different times I would jump right on this for a test run!
Same video is on their website: https://www.outdoorukulele.com/collections/guitars

Sound quality seems to be better there. At least it is for me.

If I did not have a guitalele already to cover my "very small nylon guitar" needs I'd be tempted as well.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 04-25-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Whoever gets one of these, I'm really curious about a sound hole in the back of a guitar--is that designed to help the player feel the music? If I got my hands on one of these, I'd play it and then tape over the back hole and play it again--it seems to me that the back hole would dilute the sound.

The sound hole in the back is to allow access to the neck bolt so you can swap out the neck when the frets wear down. This is not a snide comment, it comes straight from the manufacture. It is designed with a bolt on neck so it can be easily replaced.

An long distance friend of mine has one and she likes it. She says it is on the quiet side with out a lot of punch or treble but that’s what she likes about it.

I own a Pepe Romero 6 string baritone guitalele, 20” scale. Even with a custom frankinset of heavy gauge strings E-E tuning is still not great. It really is best tuned up to G-G.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:24 AM

So...I bought one and I hate it. It sounds like a toy. However, I really my Outdoor tenor ukulele. I use it all the time at school. But this one is not my cup of tea.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementarymusic View Post
So...I bought one and I hate it. It sounds like a toy. However, I really my Outdoor tenor ukulele. I use it all the time at school. But this one is not my cup of tea.
Thank you for sharing... would love to know why? Is the sound really small? How is the playability? Does it strum well or more of a picker? I felt that way about the banjo.... the proportions were weird body to big for neck. It looks like the neck to body ratio looks off on the guitar with body to small for neck but hard to tell. PM me if you are looking to dump it... I know from my OU banjo that returns are expensive :-(. from one teacher to another :-)

Just curious and any thoughts would be appreciated..

Last edited by Fixedgear60; 04-25-2020 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:41 AM
Guest 928

Elementary;

I see Fixed is willing to help you out--me too, depending upon what the price might be. You might try a "make offer" on the forums advertising section. That would be fun.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber