The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-12-2017, 02:47 PM

Default Maybe a stupid question

Okay so :
a) I am new here.
b) I am 50 years old and have only been playing guitar for about a year.
c) I do not have a Taylor, Guild, Breedlove, Martin or a Gibson Dove.... Just pretty basic stuff.

There's a local guy who has a sort of oddball guitar shop, more for his own guitar collection and hobbies than any real business aspect. He makes electric guitars out of toilet seats and stuff like that....

I was talking to him one day and he mentioned that when he works on acoustics that he will take about half a bottle of 'Gorilla Glue' (the wood glue type), mix it with some boiling water, then pour it in swirl it around to seal the inside cavity (sound chamber) of an acoustic guitar to seal it up.

I have a Gretsch G-3500 that I am going use a camping guitar. I was thinking of doing this to help seal it up for cool nights a little bit of humidity ect...

The question is ... Am I out of my mind to try this? What is the potential 'downside' ?
Old 06-12-2017, 03:27 PM
Guest 1928

There have been worse ideas in the history of guitar repair, but not very many. Among other things there is no perfect way to "seal" a wooden instrument completely, future repair would be more difficult, deadened sound, and so on. This fellow needs to stick with toilet seats...
Old 06-12-2017, 03:33 PM

Yikes! This sounds like a piece of advice someone would give on April 1st. Introducing a bunch of Gorilla Glue and water to the inside an acoustic guitar is one hugely counterproductive way to keep humidity out of it. Don't do it.

Maybe that repairman sees water and humidity as two unrelated entities.

Last edited by mb propsom; 06-12-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:06 PM

A guitars finish can deaden the sound if it is applied too heavy. All that glue would be like insulating a wall the more insulation the less sound gets through. Same thing on a guitar. The more glue or finish the less sound. Maybe a better analogy would be of a speaker. If you have watched a speaker when music is playing loud you will see the cone vibrating in relation to the music and volume. Put something on that cone that prevents vibration and you get less sound. A guitar soundboard works the same way. It vibrates with the vibration of the strings. That is where you get your volume and tone. That is why a guitar is not sealed that way from the factory. Don't do it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2017, 05:07 PM

I do agree that the clear coat on the guitar does muffle the resonance of the wood, and I have seen wood glue can be used to seal up wood.
I know that you are never going to seal it up 100%, nor would you necessarily want to. Keeping in mind that the fibreglass and other composite materials can also give a good sound without 'breathing'.

But, as far as the adding water that's not an unusual thing and we know that wood acclimates to the environment, the moisture comes and the moisture goes. If I remember correctly that is the 3rd law of thermodynamics, basically that everything is always trying to reach a state of equilibrium.

I do think that the idea is crazy, so I wanted to see what others thought. I just thought that maybe additional sealing of the instrument may prolong it's life as a 'campfire guitar' .

I'll just leave it as it is, I am sure it'll be fine. Thanks for the help!!
Old 06-12-2017, 05:26 PM

A used Ovation beater can't be much more than a hundred. And suited for the camp trip.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitars. View Post
Okay so :
a) I am new here.
b) I am 50 years old and have only been playing guitar for about a year.
c) I do not have a Taylor, Guild, Breedlove, Martin or a Gibson Dove.... Just pretty basic stuff.

There's a local guy who has a sort of oddball guitar shop, more for his own guitar collection and hobbies than any real business aspect. He makes electric guitars out of toilet seats and stuff like that....

I was talking to him one day and he mentioned that when he works on acoustics that he will take about half a bottle of 'Gorilla Glue' (the wood glue type), mix it with some boiling water, then pour it in swirl it around to seal the inside cavity (sound chamber) of an acoustic guitar to seal it up.

I have a Gretsch G-3500 that I am going use a camping guitar. I was thinking of doing this to help seal it up for cool nights a little bit of humidity ect...

The question is ... Am I out of my mind to try this? What is the potential 'downside' ?
If you have an inexpensive guitar it's probably made of plywood. Plywood guitars, even though they usually don't sound all too good, can handle humidity changes and rough handling that solid wood guitars can't.

At any rate, if your friend had just a tad more knowledge about wood and instrument making, he wouldn't be entertaining and passing on such wild ideas.

EDIT: I just looked up your Gretsch. It's a plywood guitar so don't worry about taking it camping.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
a local guy who has a sort of oddball guitar shop..........................................he will take about half a bottle of 'Gorilla Glue' (the wood glue type), mix it with some boiling water, then pour it in swirl it around to seal the inside cavity (sound chamber) of an acoustic guitar to seal it up.

That is one of the craziest ideas I have heard yet.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 06-12-2017, 08:01 PM

Let's see, Gorilla glue needs moisture to cure. And he uses it as a moisture barrier.

Anybody see anything wrong with this picture? Even without mucking up the inside of the guitar so it is hard to repair in the future. I doubt GG is a good sealer.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:19 PM

Run!!!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2017, 10:16 PM

Lol. Ya. I thought it seemed bizarre that's why I asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1978 Yamaha G-231 - Classical
2012 Gretsch G3500 - Folk

Electrics:
2005 Fender MIA Strat - modified
2000 Fender MIM Strat - very modified
2014 Fender MIM Telecaster - Custom Shop designed
1980s Telecaster partscaster
2005 Godin SD22 - PRS USA pickups
2006 Fender MIM P-Bass
1970s Marches MIJ Jazz Bass
Old 06-13-2017, 01:25 AM

Mix a little cement with it, too. fill the entire sound hole and interior with it. Wait until it sets and you'll never have to worry about damage again............

Just in case you are wondering - NO, I am not being serious. redir has the right idea. RUUUUUUUNNNNN!!!!
Old 06-13-2017, 05:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Lol. Ya. I thought it seemed bizarre that's why I asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So, it was in fact not a stupid question, but a really good one!
Old 06-13-2017, 06:06 AM

Ummm.....Don't know what to say about that......Perhaps the worst solution to a non existent problem ever!

Gorilla glue is on the Lutherie shop banned item list! Along with WD-40, adjustable wrenches & silicone based anything. All of which i expect to find where a guy makes "guitars" out of toilet seats and stuff....
Old 06-13-2017, 08:46 AM

Take it one [small] step further and just fill the entire guitar with expanding closed-cell urethane foam. Then no moisture can get in or out. Of course, sound won't escape either and the surfaces won't vibrate, but that's a different issue.

Run! Run like the wind! Don't even let this guy change guitar strings for you! He'll find a way to muck that up.......

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair