The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-28-2018, 06:54 PM

Default A great experience

i wanted to take a minute tonight to relay a story about a wonderful encounter I had with a local builder yesterday. I live in the DFW area and am always on the lookout for quality repair work. A while back I e-mailed Steve Kinnaird to ask if he could recommend a quality repair person in the area. Steve told me that if I ever needed anything done to contact Chris Jenkins from Lame Horse Guitars, including for any work I may need done on my Kinnaird guitars. Just a few weeks ago a good friend of mine passed away and I received his Martin D-28, it was a mess, hadn't been humidified or cleaned in quite some time and was in dire need of a setup. I e-mailed Chris and asked if he would be willing to take on this project. He said he would and when he got back from NAMM he would contact me. We got together yesterday and he looked over the guitar and told me that he would be happy to do the work, despite the fact he was fighting a timeline trying to get some guitars ready for a show in Berlin. We talked guitars, he showed me the guitars he was working on for the show and even explained the history of a particular guitar he was building for the show. We went in the house and I had the opportunity to play a couple of his completed guitars. They were amazing, impeccable workmanship and sound. He was gracious and hospitable and I had a great time. His guitars were stellar in all ways. All of this from a simple cleanup of a regular Martin guitar. What I have found with this community of builders is more than just their talent in building guitars, it is the amazing experience of the build process. I think its one of the main reasons we all return time after time to commission new guitars. Thanks to all the builders on this forum for making it more than just getting a new guitar, thanks for making it special and rewarding. Thanks Chris for a great afternoon of talking and playing guitars. if you have had similar experiences please add to this thread.
Martin J-41
Old 02-28-2018, 07:25 PM

Very well said and I agree 100%.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

Dave, I knew Chris would treat you right. I'm glad you had the chance to meet him. Not only is he a fine builder/repairman, but a prince of a man.
Plus, he has an infectious laugh!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop