The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-23-2019, 04:47 PM

Default Bronze and Silk - So nice! Not done yet....

I recently acquired a Waterloo WL-14X and have been working my way through strings looking for the best match,

I like warm and low tension.

PB lights were to stiff, but I like the overtones and depth they brought to this small body.

Nickel Bronze - nope. Stiff and metallic and muted overtones. And I had such high hopes.

A week into GHS Silk and Bronze. Easily the best so far! Less tension and the PB overtones are there. I was expecting a loss in volume, but no. I am getting close. I wonder how the John Pearse version compares? Those may be next.

I also may try some silk and steels, but from what I have read those may go to far into the mellow territory, I like that they may be even lighter in tension, but if they are bland and quiet then no thanks.

Open to suggestions and experiences!
Old 03-23-2019, 04:49 PM

You might try the John Pearce version.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:54 PM

I use them both.
The John Pearse are a little louder with a touch more of that new string zing straight out of the pack but that soon settles down.
Both are very good.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-23-2019, 06:57 PM

I will add the Santa Cruz medium or light tension. They have a nice feel and last about 10 weeks for me. Experimenting with strings is one of the easiest ‘mods’ you can do, so enjoy the journey! And if you don’t like a set just try the next one.

Last edited by srick; 03-24-2019 at 04:20 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:07 PM

Thomastik Infeld strings, Plectrum or Spectrum series, Plectrums have less tension than the Spectrums. Best strings period. They know it cause the price reflects it. That is all I use on my acoustics. They are worth reading up on.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie View Post
Thomastik Infeld strings, Plectrum or Spectrum series, Plectrums have less tension than the Spectrums. Best strings period. They know it cause the price reflects it. That is all I use on my acoustics. They are worth reading up on.
Another fan of TI Plectrums.

I’ve had subjectively good results with SCGC strings, GHS, DR, JP, and Martin (Retro) including trying some silk/bronze and silk/steel variations. In comparison, the gauge Plectrums I like (11-50) are not the loudest but they are very balanced (i.e. sweet) and have excellent feel. Those with a heavy attack may find the lower tension unacceptable. I love them for fingerstyle. For me they last a long time, typically 12-16 weeks so they are a good value. But what really separates them from most other string brands is how little string squeak or screech there is to the wound strings. These attributes make the Plectrums consistently good to great for my style of playing which is 90% fingerstyle.

Worth a try IMO.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 03-24-2019, 04:24 AM

Default JP 610LM

I had been through this journey for my all mahogany alvarez (which I sold recently) which has a little more high frequencies than I liked. To mellow it down JP 610LM worked the best.
It doesn't have the zing pf JP600L but that's exactly I didn;t want from my all mahogany which I need for darker and deeper and mellower sound.
Guild D120 - All hog
Old 03-24-2019, 07:46 AM

Thanks all for the suggestions.

I agree, string testing is a fun part of getting a new guitar. I enjoy the process.

I am going to have to give the TI Plectrums a spin, I liked what I heard on a few videos I watched.

My old P bass has worn the same set of TI Jazz Flats for over 15 years, TI makes a quality (if not pricey) string,
Old 03-24-2019, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I wasn't aware of the tension difference, I just ordered Spectrums. I'll use them tuned to cgdgcd and dadgad, so I guess I'll survive,

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-24-2019, 09:23 AM

I really like Martin SP Flexible Core Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings MFX130 Silk/Phos 11-47 on my ‘62 Martin 00-21NY. They do not have the typical silk and steel soft mellow sound which I do not like. The phosphor combined with silk and flexible core makes a nice sounding and playing string.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I wasn't aware of the tension difference, I just ordered Spectrums. I'll use them tuned to cgdgcd and dadgad, so I guess I'll survive,
Yes. I use the spectrums on dadgad guitar. Everything else has the plectrums. For 12 string, the plectrums make the guitar effortless to play, plus minimizes the stress on the neck and bridge.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:01 AM

Default TI Plectrums

Quote:
I'm interested in these strings.

Are they long lasting strings? I don't mind paying a premium for strings but, when I do, I'd like them to last longer a bit than cheaper strings. In my case, guitars that are played "occasionally" get somewhere between 3 & 6 months (maybe more) a set of, say Pearse or GHS PBs. Guitars played "regularly" usually get around 3+ months before I'm ready to put a fresh set on.

That said, I'm almost 8 months in with my first set of Martin Titaniums on my D-18 & they still sound great. Don't know how long they'll last but, as long as they sound as good as they do, they'll stay on. I'm wondering if the TI Plectrums are in a similar league.

Thanks!

Frank
Old 03-25-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwphoto View Post
I'm interested in these strings.

Are they long lasting strings? I don't mind paying a premium for strings but, when I do, I'd like them to last longer a bit than cheaper strings. In my case, guitars that are played "occasionally" get somewhere between 3 & 6 months (maybe more) a set of, say Pearse or GHS PBs. Guitars played "regularly" usually get around 3+ months before I'm ready to put a fresh set on.

That said, I'm almost 8 months in with my first set of Martin Titaniums on my D-18 & they still sound great. Don't know how long they'll last but, as long as they sound as good as they do, they'll stay on. I'm wondering if the TI Plectrums are in a similar league.

Thanks!

Frank
Those dang Titaniums!
If only Martin would sell them for a more reasonable price.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-25-2019, 07:30 AM

I recently reviewed the Thomastik Plectrums in 0.11 and I will summarize: great volume, light tension, lovely sound, long lasting - highly recommended.

I like the LaBella Silk and Steels too, in 0.12 - bit warmer, almost earthy sounding but heavier playing. Horses for courses.

Didn't care for: Martin Silk & Steel (low volume), GHS Silk and Bronze (felt heavy for 0.12's).
Hofner Club 50 (currently for sale)
Jose Rodriguez estudente classical

Formerly owned:
K. Yairi NY0021
Guild D25-NT
Epiphone PR5E
Heritage H-127
Godin SG Summit
Ibanez TTR30 Talman Nylon
Epiphone Telecaster copy
Hofner 175 (II)
Eko 'SG' short scale bass
Old 03-25-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Those dang Titaniums!
If only Martin would sell them for a more reasonable price.
Yeah, I know. If only they didn't sound so good on my D-18! :-)

So, instead of getting my usual sets from about $6-10, I'm looking at strings that go for $25 a set vs. $40!

I gotta say, though, my primary concern is how they sound on my guitars. I've been tracking string usage on my 3 good guitars for a couple of years now. I've gotten very close to choosing the strings that I like on each. Its not so much the cost of the strings, its how they sound that matters to me. (I'm fortunate to be able to buy $40 strings if I darn well want to! :-) I've heard so much good about the TI strings that I might have to try a set or 2 myself.

Take care,

Frank

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion