The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-17-2019, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Default Transition lenses

Just got home from a safari in Kenya. Interesting, wonderful, exhausting trip.

I didn’t take my prescription sunglasses, just wore my transition lens regular prescription glasses as I was trying to bring as little as possible. They didn’t work! I had no idea. I’m in between flights in NY and they work fine here.

So my advice Is that if you’re going to be near the equator bring your sunglasses :-)!

Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST
Old 03-17-2019, 02:05 PM

Steve that is pretty interesting. I've been using transition lenses for years now. I used to get my glasses prescription filled at this expensive place up the road (in Kingwood, TX), but for the last couple of years, I've been getting my glasses from the Costco here in Humble.

The place in Kingwood offered a type of transition lens that would get dark even if you were driving. Apparently, the windshield glass blocks a lot of the UV light and these special transitions lenses would work w/out being exposed to UV.

The transition lenses I've been getting from Costco will not get dark unless they are exposed to UV.

Your post made me wonder if you get less UV exposure close to the equator. It seems like you would get more, but I don't know...

--gordon
Old 03-17-2019, 03:01 PM

A long time ago (when I was in the Navy), I laid out by the pool in Mombasa, Kenya, for 30 min. at around 1pm. I got 2nd degree burns all over my chest and abdomen. There's plenty of UV.

I suspect OP means that his Transitions lenses just didn't get as dark as he wanted for how bright it was outside. But that's just my guess.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleFingers View Post
A long time ago (when I was in the Navy), I laid out by the pool in Mombasa, Kenya, for 30 min. at around 1pm. I got 2nd degree burns all over my chest and abdomen. There's plenty of UV.

I suspect OP means that his Transitions lenses just didn't get as dark as he wanted for how bright it was outside. But that's just my guess.
The transitions did get very slightly dark (really a meaningless amount) but nowhere near as dark as in NYC or where I live in FL. And yes the sun was bright! I wouldn't leave the tent without my trusty Banana Boat SPF 50 on any exposed area. And Deet.

I think it has to do with different angles of UV polarization near the equator or something like that.

Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST
Old 03-17-2019, 05:43 PM

I’ve used Transition lenses for about 15 years now. How old are yours? What I’ve noticed is that they eventually don’t get as dark to the point they don’t transition at all. I say after 3 years or so you’ll notice a degrade.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
I’ve used Transition lenses for about 15 years now. How old are yours? What I’ve noticed is that they eventually don’t get as dark to the point they don’t transition at all. I say after 3 years or so you’ll notice a degrade.
A couple of months old. Definitely an equator event. Spoke with a friend of mine and her husband used to travel to places at or near the equator and had the same issue with his transitions.

An interesting tidbit.

Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST
Old 03-18-2019, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-arino View Post
A couple of months old. Definitely an equator event. Spoke with a friend of mine and her husband used to travel to places at or near the equator and had the same issue with his transitions.

An interesting tidbit.

Wow that is very interesting stuff. I’d think the closer you get to the equator, the stronger the UV rays.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:47 AM

My transition lenses have been great for me when outdoors... BUT they don't work when driving.. The UV blocker in the windshield seem to prevent them from "transitioning".

My solution was to go to Walmart and get a cheap pair of those clip-on type sunglasses that clip onto my existing glasses use when driving.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 03-18-2019, 07:48 AM
Anticipation Junkie

My transition lenses seem to work really well. The optical establishment I frequent offered me free clip-on sunglasses that perfectly fit my lenses. I don’t use them often...the only time really is when driving for the reason already mentioned. Interesting about the equator effect on them. Don’t know if/when I’ll ever be able to test that!

Last edited by Acousticado; 03-19-2019 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:51 AM

The smartest move I did on this topic was get same frames in two colors - one with the no line bifocal that do get darker and the other with polarized and single correction for distance only.

So far no version of multi-focal lens I’ve had can beat dealing with the brightness, and the distance only correction is vital for agility, balance, and doing sports.

Another good strategy is get contacts for distance only because that opens up the whole range of regular sunglasses, and lets you wear a dive mask.

On the sports and activity aspect... The clear plastic frames can be a distraction if you do not have a visor over your eyes. The single distance corection means carry some reading glasses or those credit card magnifiers but it brings back how fast you can do stairs and keeps you able to do sports where you’re in the air or have a lot of motion.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:21 AM

I tried to live with “Transitions” but found them pretty much useless.
YMMV, of course.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:45 AM

Mine even works if it’s bright in the house.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:05 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleGorch View Post
Mine even works if it’s bright in the house.
LOL.........that's a good set of lenses!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic