The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-15-2019, 09:07 PM

Default Gretsch ID

I am looking at a maybe early 50s model Gretsch Synchromatic. Inside the bass f-hole is I assume the serial number penciled in as 8203. According to my Gruhn's Guide the numbers for 1949-1965 are not totally reliable but the guide shows that number from 1953.
There are other indications in the guide based on the guitars anatomy that it is a 47 or 48.
Getting to my question. Below the penciled in serial number is the word GRETSCH in upper case block print (stamped). It is very clear.
Below that in cursive (stamped) appears to be two words.
It could be one word but it looks like a space in between. It's that fancy type of cursive that is hard to read (at least for me LOL)
The first word clearly starts with an upper case S. It looks like a 5 letter word and might be "Super.
Maybe it simply says "Synchromatic" in fancy cursive writing. I just can't make it out.
The second word looks like about 9 letters and the first 3 letters look like "Str."
There's nothing in the Gruhn's Guide that addresses this.
I'm hoping somebody is intimately familiar with this and can help.
Sorry, but I can't take any pics through the f-hole and doubt I could get the letters to show anyway.
Appreciate any help, even speculation.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:08 PM

Default Found my answer

t's a 1946 Synchromatic 100
The name is "Superstructure."
Guitars made by Gretsch for other companies. One of which was Bacon Belmont.

Last edited by ozarkmac; 03-16-2019 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Added Information

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops