The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-13-2019, 10:26 AM

Default Martin Orders Paul Jr. Designs Cycle Car !

Long lost to my viewing, I happened upon the newest season of Orange County Choppers American Chopper Show. To my surprise and somewhat to my dismay, I discovered that Martin took delivery on a custom three wheeled motor bike car built on an existing three wheel bike platform by Paul Jr. Wow ! I know they are using the bike to celebrate a big upcoming anniversary, but I don't want their guitar prices to go up for them spending$150K-200K on show bike/car for a celebration. None of my business really, just having trouble getting my brain around a spending big bucks on custom bike to promote guitars. What ever sells them I guess. The custom anniversary guitars they build seem to better fit the product IMO. Not my money to spend, but I could have thought of a lot better ways to spend that kind of money on something that would truly represent their product and the majority of their owners. I guess there are some Martin players out there riding custom choppers.

Thoughts contrary or similar to mine ?

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 03-13-2019, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Having been an avid former viewer of the series, I always questioned the advertising value of an expensive motorcycle for a company outside of the automotive/motorcycle/tool & hardware industries. I personally can't see the connection between Martin Guitars and Orange County Choppers/PaulDesign....
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 03-13-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:35 AM

It's a marketing expense, but as stated, who are they marketing to? I think the advertising value is in having your product featured on the show as an hour long commercial, and the bike is a by product of the process. The cost of the bike is peanuts compared to an hour of prime time advertising.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:12 PM

I thought OCC went out of business. Any pics or link to the bike?
Old 03-21-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chistrummer View Post
I thought OCC went out of business. Any pics or link to the bike?
Both are back in business and on TV. I Imagine if you go to their web site and look under Martin Bike, you'd find it
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 03-21-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
It's a marketing expense, but as stated, who are they marketing to? I think the advertising value is in having your product featured on the show as an hour long commercial, and the bike is a by product of the process. The cost of the bike is peanuts compared to an hour of prime time advertising.
Very interesting point ! I did get more face time with Chis Martin than ever before !
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 03-21-2019, 07:32 AM

For the Martin “bike”, PJD purchased a perfectly good fully functioning manufactured vehicle, cut the body off and replaced if with sheet metal. Let’s not forget the “doodads”. He assembled a vehicle.

If I was Chris, I would ask for my money back. Just my opinion, YMMV.

Last edited by Humbuster; 03-21-2019 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:03 AM

ALL those"reality" shows are rip-offs. Can you just imagine the sound/lighting directing, dialog writers etc. Don't forget the underwater and aerial shots. The production companies don't have to hire actors so its really cost effective.

Chris Martin must've hit his head somehow, going from a Ferrari to some trash show vehicle! His Ferrari was a light green 4 door, so maybe his taste is questionable to start with. There's only one color that matters Ferrari-wise and that of course is RED!
Old 03-21-2019, 10:25 AM

I get such a laugh out of reality shows:

"Oh, look, she is way out there ALL ALONE and about to die!!!!!!"

Off-mic reply:

"Yeah, you're right! Have the grips move the cameras, scaffolding, and booms for a better shot. Move the mics. Tell the medical officer, producer, prop people, costumers, make up folks, and ESPECIALLY the catering crew to stay out of the way in case something happens. Move the picnic tables and motorhomes out of the shot. And go get nurse Betty."
Old 03-21-2019, 04:07 PM

Regardless that this was a Martin project (I haven't seen it and really have no desire to) I've never been a fan of OCC..

I've ridden for years, and I've seen a lot of their "custom" bikes at bike shows all over...cheap and gaudy looking in person, sloppy welds, and flimsy parts will fall off if you put normal pressure on them...I wouldn't be caught dead riding one in a circus parade, and it would probably break down right behind the elephants...

If anyone here is familiar with the world of bike building, you'll know what I mean when I say that the OCC clowns weren't qualified to carry Indian Larry's toolbox...
Old 03-22-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbuster View Post
For the Martin “bike”, PJD purchased a perfectly good fully functioning manufactured vehicle, cut the body off and replaced if with sheet metal. Let’s not forget the “doodads”. He assembled a vehicle.

If I was Chris, I would ask for my money back. Just my opinion, YMMV.
Yes this is the same criticism leveled at the show when they built two wheel bikes only. "They're not manufacturers, they're just assemblers slapping parts on a already made bike". That was true to a large degree originally, yet their show started a national explosion of custom choppers and bike builders, many using the same strategy. Then the corporate bike builders started the same. First Victory and this past year Harley start marketing "customizing your bike" with their after market parts to give your bike the custom chopper look. So while the purists spit on them, they're back on TV again and raking in the money.

Like you, I noted and was disappointed that they started with a complete platform and tore down and added stuff. They did explain why they had to go that route in the show. It nonetheless did irritate me as Paul repeatedly said this was the toughest build he's ever done, as if you watched any of the earlier original shows, you'd know that is BS.

Your comment about Chris however, would suggest you didn't watch the show as it was Chris who wanted a three wheel bike. That was totally his idea as was the third wheel being in the back (not a chopper trike) AND the auto look to it. Chris literally pulled out what looked like a miniature hand-carved wooden soap box kit car during their meeting and discussed those issues, so Chris got exactly what he asked for and had no reason to complain.

None the less, I appreciate your point about more flash than substance to their work. This may have changed a little as most of the bikes are now starting with a complete bare frame, and oil and gass tanks and fenders are being custom created form scratch, but their still not starting from scratch with a frame jig and building the frame from the ground up and bike from raw materials al la Jessie James and West Coast Choppers style. Peace John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 04-19-2019, 05:02 PM

Photos of both the reverse trike and the guitar Paul Jr. helped design are at the bottom of this webpage:

http://www.designbyjoyce.com/pauljr/...tar_trike.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic