The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-13-2019, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon1 View Post
Are you saying that actual tonedexter circuitry is built into this thing?
No, but it can 'act like' a Tone Dexter in that it also can work with custom IR technology for each guitar. The genius of the TD is the it generates the IR internally. The HX requires an IR generated elsewhere, but IMO it beats the TD hands down once you have the IR because you can manipulate it so much more (put it on its own signal chain, adjust % blend, create a unique EQ for it etc.)

So basically, the HX offers everything the TD offers PLUS a full multi fx EXCEPT you cannot create an IR within the HX.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 03-13-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post
No, but it can 'act like' a Tone Dexter in that it also can work with custom IR technology for each guitar. The genius of the TD is the it generates the IR internally. The HX requires an IR generated elsewhere, but IMO it beats the TD hands down once you have the IR because you can manipulate it so much more (put it on its own signal chain, adjust % blend, create a unique EQ for it etc.)

So basically, the HX offers everything the TD offers PLUS a full multi fx EXCEPT you cannot create an IR within the HX.
Interesting stuff. It's advancing really fast lately.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
I just went with the Line 6 HX Stomp. It's killer.

As soon as I transfer the IR's from the Tonedexter to the HX Stomp, I'll take the Tonedexter off the board and move the Boomerang III, to the bottom right and there will be a 2 button AUX switch between the Rang and the Stomp.

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/dhfl.jpgIMG]
I'm amazed that you can transfer the IR's. Music gear has not always been user friendly like that in between brands.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:31 AM

I just picked up a Trace Elliot Transit A acoustic DI/effects pedal. Compression, delay,reverb, chorus, boost, tuner, and the usual 3-ring eq, plus a boost button for piezo pickups. Simple, easy to use, did I say simple to use. No downloading, no switching from among hundreds of effects that never get used. And, its very ruggedly built. No, it doesn't have programs that makes you piezo equipped guitar sound like a D45, but in a live setting with a full band it works.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post

Exactly. I'm keeping the Tonedexter to create more IR's when needed, and I'll be transferring it to a small board with a RedEye in case I need to travel light.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 03-13-2019, 02:32 PM

I'm a "less is more" kinda guy with acoustic effects, but, that said, I do occasionally like to use some. Here's my current rig:

I rarely keep the Fishman Dual Parametric D.I. box in the chain any more, but I can put it back in if needed. These days its pretty much the polytune3 & Fishman ToneDEQ. The polytune3 also acts as a buffer for my K&K pickup'd guitars. The ToneDEQ has everything *I* want - Reverb/Chorus/Compressor/Volume Boost/DI/low cut filters - & several additional effects to mess with - Delay/Flanger/Tremelo/EQ.

Works for me!

Frank
Old 03-13-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwphoto View Post
I'm a "less is more" kinda guy with acoustic effects, but, that said, I do occasionally like to use some. Here's my current rig:

I rarely keep the Fishman Dual Parametric D.I. box in the chain any more, but I can put it back in if needed. These days its pretty much the polytune3 & Fishman ToneDEQ. The polytune3 also acts as a buffer for my K&K pickup'd guitars. The ToneDEQ has everything *I* want - Reverb/Chorus/Compressor/Volume Boost/DI/low cut filters - & several additional effects to mess with - Delay/Flanger/Tremelo/EQ.

Works for me!

Frank
While these days I'm just letting the mixer do the work, I also have very fond memories of the Fishman ToneDEQ and I've owned many of the options.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-13-2019, 03:53 PM

Jon,

Mostly these days I go from the polytune3 into a DI box to the board. I got the ToneDEQ in anticipation of playing "out" solo again in the future. Its fun practicing at home into my Burgera AC60, though. :-)

Frank
Old 03-13-2019, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsoon1 View Post
How much looping time does it give you?
If you have done the most current firmware update, the looper on the Play Acoustic gives you 60 seconds.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:07 AM

I was very close to getting a TonedEQ, but the lack of a tuner/mute function turned me away. I really can't understand why they didn't include that, my Spectrum aura has it, as do most other multi-function pedals. That's why I went with the Trace Elliot
Old 03-14-2019, 10:06 AM

Like my soul mate, it does a lot.

I also have a
-Red-eye
and
-tone bone deluxe pre

All good
Old 03-14-2019, 02:29 PM

Kid - I am still trying to figure out how a tech challenged guy gets the IRs from my ToneDexter into the HX Stomp!

Any ideas??
Old 03-14-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
I was very close to getting a TonedEQ, but the lack of a tuner/mute function turned me away. I really can't understand why they didn't include that, my Spectrum aura has it, as do most other multi-function pedals. That's why I went with the Trace Elliot
Many folks are already using a tuner/mute pedal so maybe they decided not to "remake that wheel." I was going to use the polytune3 anyway so the lack of a tuner/mute was no big deal to me. By having it as a separate pedal it also allows me to use it by itself when I want to leave the ToneDEQ home. (Which I do a lot of the time.)

FWIW, the Trace Eliot Transit was on my short list before I got the ToneDEQ. The other was the Tech 21 Fly.

Frank
Old 03-15-2019, 01:57 AM

I’ve got the T-Rex soulmate and the Tech 21 Flyrig.

The flyrig is great for open mics etc and fits in a guitar gig bag pocket.

The Soulmate does everything I want and the onboard tuner is the only one I’ve ever been happy with it is brilliant!

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 03-16-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
Kid - I am still trying to figure out how a tech challenged guy gets the IRs from my ToneDexter into the HX Stomp!

Any ideas??
My buddy is going to walk me through it on Monday. Transfer from the Dexter to an SD card, then to a computer, then from the computer to the HX Stomp.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
acoustic