The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-11-2019, 04:31 AM

Default nylon string...really not sure where to start!!!

Hello everyone

I have always played steel-strung guitars but recently acquired an old beaten-up classical. Probably from Japan, probably 1970s. Anyway, it is a bit bent and battered but I have been loving the the warm nylon tone...and volume as it happens!

I never expected to, since all the music I listen to and play tends to be on steels.

Anyway, I find that I would now like to explore the nylon-strung world a bit for singer-songwriter type stuff and backing and leading folk songs and tunes.

I am looking for:
- something I can pick up for around £500 or less (happy with used)
- really good volume unplugged
- a pickup system
- preferably on the narrower side of nylon-strung nuts - think 48mm would be about right (45mm ok too)

I really don't know whether I want a cross-very type or a classical but would love some pointers or shared experiences from those ho know a bit about such instruments.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Best wishes
PP
Old 03-11-2019, 04:56 AM

I don't have a lot of experience, but I have played a Yamaha NTX700 and a Cordoba GK Studio Limited a few times that I like them both quite a lot.

I consider picking one up from time to time for the same reasons you mention.

I keep looking at these as the price seems OK for the guitar and I don't want to spend too much on this style of guitar right now.

Various stringed instruments
Old 03-11-2019, 05:22 AM

In that price range you should be able to find a Yamaha or Cordoba that suits your needs.

If they're still selling them in your country, take a look at the 3/4 and 7/8 Coco tie-in models. They're nice little guitars.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:44 AM

I went thru a few of these (3) before I found the one that was the keeper.

I can't really advise on what to by but I do have some general experiences..

If you're not into a x-over, then it's probably likely that the neck profiles are going to be quite different (Wide, fat). so know that going in.

If there's no compensated bridge, in my experiences tuning, and intonation was a bit of a nuisance. This had been my biggest complaint with the 3 previous ones I had. May be it's just me. But I could never get happy with much intonation wise, up past the 6th or 7th frets.

I found that a wound G string helped. (the plan nylon G's are a bit odd tone wise too, at least to me they are) I use Savarez Strings, because they are at last one of the strings that offer a wound G.

I finally bit the bullet and picked up a Taylor 514, which is well out of your budget range, but once setup, a great nylon string guitar.

Taylor Nylon necks are not quite as beefy and the compensated bridge solves the intonation issues that drove me a bit mad with the others.

String changes will takes a bit of getting used to, it's a process.
OTOH, the strings last quite a bit longer so you're not doing it as much as a steel string.

They are nice instruments to have though, nothing sounds like them. I belong to the music ministry at our catholic church, and with out a nylon string, there's a lot of the music we do that woldn't sound right with one of my steel string acoustics.

IMHO it's worth the journey to find the one that works for you, but they are a different animal.

I've had Takaminie's Yamahas, and my last one was a Manuel Rodriquez A cut, they all sounded good and played ok, but the intonation issues just drove me nuts. Recording was never much fun with them because of that.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:40 AM

This question comes up frequently as steel string players discover the pleasing tone of nylon. With your listed criteria the Cordoba Fusion series ticks all the boxes. Especially the price, 48mm nut width, not common, and a factory installed pick up
Old 03-11-2019, 07:39 AM

I have two Cordobas that are worth taking a look at.

The 1st is a GK Studio (standard) with 50mm nut width, and cutaway. The 2nd is a Fusion Orchestra Pro with 48mm nut, and no cutaway. The Pro is out of your price range, but as has been mentioned, the standard Fusion model is not.

Here are sound samples of each.

GK Studio, recorded with external mic> https://youtu.be/KDqHhdrsHOM

Fusion Orchestra Pro, recorded with iRig Acoustic> https://youtu.be/GKkpQOWpoeU

You will notice a significantly warmer sound from the Fusion, and that is accurate because the Fusion has Rosewood back/sides. But, my recording process on the GK Studio is a big part of the sound, and didn't do it justice. The iRig transducer on the Fusion video gets me to a much better sound with much less effort.

Lastly, most all the Cordoba models come in different wood combos. So if you like the Rosewood sound, the GK Studio does come in a Rosewood option. It is called the GK Studio Negra.

Hope that helps,
Gary
Old 03-11-2019, 07:48 AM

Thank you to everyone who has contributed. I really appreciate you taking the time and I have a few lines to check out now. I don't know why I had not thought of this earlier really.
Anyway, very much appreciated.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penrith Pete View Post
Hello everyone

I am looking for:
- preferably on the narrower side of nylon-strung nuts - think 48mm would be about right (45mm ok too)

PP
P.S. Regarding a 45mm nut. I don't think you'll find a nylon string that narrow, and if you do, beware. Unless you have very thin fingertips, I think you'll find that 48mm is a working minimum for Nylon strings. Nylon strings vibrate with greater amplitude than steel.

With anything narrower than 48mm, you are very likely to experience string interference. More specifically, when fretting say the 2nd string, if you then pick the 3rd string, the 3rd string is very likely to vibrate into the finger fretting the 2nd string.

Again, hope that helps,
GC
Old 03-12-2019, 10:08 AM

wow, more helpful advice, thanks so much!
Old 03-12-2019, 09:00 PM

I left the steel world and did only classical for a few years, now i miss strumming, just got a nice Martin. Now i do both. Love the feel of the nylon though. Dont give up one or the other, they compliment each other!
Old 03-13-2019, 02:43 AM

Lightbulb

@penrith Pete Hi, I was just wondering why you are looking for a guitar with a 48mm nut? I too have played mainly steel string guitars and recently decided to buy a Yamaha CX40 classical guitar. Before ordering I was concerned that the fret board would be too wide because I have quite small hands. But I need not have worried as I find I have no problem at all playing the Yamaha with a 52mm nut. In fact in some ways I prefer the wider spacing between the strings, it seems easier to play accurately. And I can play the dreaded F chord just as easily as I can on my steel string and electric guitar. Plus the nylon strings are much easier on the fingertips. This has now become my go to guitar for practicing, Im liking the sound too... Of course the ideal thing to do if you can is try some guitars at a shop to get a feel of them

Last edited by Weather Watcher; 03-13-2019 at 02:48 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Hi Pete,

Like you, I'm a steel string player of many years that has been thinking of grabbing a relatively inexpensive entry level nylon guitar to play around with. I've checked out a bunch now, mostly Yamahas, Taks, Cordobas and the usual classical style hybrids with factory pickup systems. None of them really did much for me until just recently when I played a Taylor Academy 12n-e which is their 12-fret, GC body guitar with a comfort arm bevel and their ESB pickup system.

First, let me say I'm so definitely NOT a fan of Taylor guitars. Don't get me wrong, their make beautiful, high-quality and great sounding guitars but they just never spoke to me. I happened to be in a Taylor dealer recently as I wanted to try out the new Pacific model which, as always, did absolutely nothing for me. I played a few more models and same thing. Then I picked up that little Academy 12n and I was quite impressed. Very light and a ton of volume and extremely comfortable to play.

I left the store as I was not in the market for this guitar but it has literally haunted me. So today I went back in and took my Bose S1 amp which is what we play out with to test it out. I was blown away but how great this guitar sounded, plugged straight in. The super simple pickup system worked flawlessly. I'm seriously considering grabbing one of these to gig with!
Old 04-18-2019, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Hi Pete,

Like you, I'm a steel string player of many years that has been thinking of grabbing a relatively inexpensive entry level nylon guitar to play around with. I've checked out a bunch now, mostly Yamahas, Taks, Cordobas and the usual classical style hybrids with factory pickup systems. None of them really did much for me until just recently when I played a Taylor Academy 12n-e which is their 12-fret, GC body guitar with a comfort arm bevel and their ESB pickup system.

First, let me say I'm so definitely NOT a fan of Taylor guitars. Don't get me wrong, their make beautiful, high-quality and great sounding guitars but they just never spoke to me. I happened to be in a Taylor dealer recently as I wanted to try out the new Pacific model which, as always, did absolutely nothing for me. I played a few more models and same thing. Then I picked up that little Academy 12n and I was quite impressed. Very light and a ton of volume and extremely comfortable to play.

I left the store as I was not in the market for this guitar but it has literally haunted me. So today I went back in and took my Bose S1 amp which is what we play out with to test it out. I was blown away but how great this guitar sounded, plugged straight in. The super simple pickup system worked flawlessly. I'm seriously considering grabbing one of these to gig with!
Funny you should mention the Taylor 12n because everytime I play one I am impressed. For the price point it punches well above its weight it tone and playability. Looks are personal and this guitar does not do it for me but if I owned it I would quickly forget about the looks because of the tone. It is not a true classical sound but that is not what the OP is after.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:17 AM

A used Cordoba GK Studio would probably meet the OP's needs perfectly
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 04-18-2019, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
Funny you should mention the Taylor 12n because everytime I play one I am impressed. For the price point it punches well above its weight it tone and playability. Looks are personal and this guitar does not do it for me but if I owned it I would quickly forget about the looks because of the tone. It is not a true classical sound but that is not what the OP is after.
I agree with your thoughts on the Taylor. I've now played it three times and it's impressed me each time. Definitely not a looker, but I've got lookers.

I reread the OP and there's no mention of looking for true classical sound. In fact, he talks about coming from steel string and looking for something with narrower nut than regular classical to use for singer-songwriter and folk tunes so definitely not looking for true classical. At least that's how I read it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical