The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-08-2019, 04:36 PM
Guest 928

Default new nylons

Sirwhale, an avid flamenco player who visits this site on occasion, recently mentioned some nylon strings that are new to me--Aquila Rubino. I ordered and received a set and haven't yet put them on . But I heard a demonstration by Sir and the balance is striking. The strings are very unusual, made from a unique composite, having a smaller diameter, and color--red and grey. As soon as my current strings are worn out I will report back on the Aquilas.

In the meantime, has anyone on this forum tried these strings?
Old 03-08-2019, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

I have not. Nor have I tried any nylon strings which brings me to my reason for hijacking your thread: I have a nylon on order due to arrive on Monday. How long do nylon strings generally last? As a new nylon player, what are some of the things I can expect to be different beyond tone and feel?
Old 03-08-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
As a new nylon player, what are some of the things I can expect to be different beyond tone and feel?

Folks may look at you funny...well funnier than usual
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-08-2019, 06:40 PM

Methos,

I use Savarez 500CJ strings, and tend to get about 200-250 hours out of them. I think if I were attempting to record, I'd probably only record during hours 30-120 though. This is based on me getting in about 15 hours if play time a week.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:29 AM

I've been getting a big itch lately to add a nylon string guitar to my lineup. I only ever played a nylon string guitar once in my life and I was drunk so I can't remember what the guitar felt like.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:58 AM

I have not tried them. They are interesting, but that color...

For looks alone I would prefer their equally bright Aquino Sugar set. That company sure is innovative: these are made of sugar cane!

@Methos: For one thing, you can expect to wait much longer for new strings to settle in. It may take up to a week before they finally stay in tune.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 03-09-2019, 08:19 AM

It will take a while for them to settle in, but then they will last a long time. Most of my nylon string experience is with ukulele, and those strings get changed *maybe* once a year. And they get played hard for 3-4 hours a week, strummed with a felt pick while leading a group.

You will also need to recalibrate your "touch". When coming from steel strings, you will use a death grip at first, pressing way too hard. It always takes me a few minutes to lighten up when playing a nylon strung guitar. Nylon has worked great on a couple of occasions where my hand needed some rehab.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the info. I've got a used Yamaha SLG200N inbound. I couldn't decide between the two and found that one first so grabbed it. I do have another one I found (SLG200S for steel string) that I might also grab so I can A/B them and then just flip the one I like least.

I'm buying this solely to be used as an open mic guitar, something that has onboard control (preamp and EQ) and also is a naturally feedback resistant or this case feedback-proof since there is no body. I get so tired of going to open mics with equipment and/or sound guys with no clue how to dial in good tone for a fingerstyle player. I'm hoping this guitar solves this issue!

I'm stoked to hear that nylon strings last so long. I'll be sure to do a review of my thoughts once the guitar is in.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:28 AM

Good choice. The Yamaha silent guitar has the best amplified tone I have heard from a nylon string.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Old 03-09-2019, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
Good choice. The Yamaha silent guitar has the best amplified tone I have heard from a nylon string.
I've only heard one live: a guy playing it through an SA220, and it sounded spectacular!
Old 03-09-2019, 01:31 PM

I have had both the Yammys... They are fun and do sound great.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-09-2019, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

I have not tried the Aquila Rubinos yet. Here is a 7 page thread on the Rubinos on Delcamp:

https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.c...p?f=43&t=92785

I put the Aquila Alchemia strings, the predecessor to their newest "sugar" strings on my Sakurai last fall. I like the tone of the strings, the downside is that there is finger squeak - even on the treble strings - and the strings took a long time to settle in to staying in tune. Here is the 5 page thread on the sugar strings on Delcamp:

https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.c...?f=43&t=125570

Alistair sent my X 10 nylon string guitar strung with Optima no. 6 strings, and I have been enamored with them enough that I ordered more to put on my Cordoba GK Pro. I've been playing the GK Pro a lot lately, only partly because my son booked a gig for us (he & I) playing Spanish guitar music last Saturday at a brewery.

https://www.amazon.com/Optima-NO-6-C.../dp/B011B82HI2

Thanks for the tip about the Yamaha SLG200N plugged in.......I'll have to pull it off the wall and plug it in.

Last edited by ceciltguitar; 03-09-2019 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:16 AM

My X7 Nylon came with Optima no. 6 gold strings as well, but I did not like them at all. They sounded dull and lacked brightness. And these were brand new strings. I could tell because they were still settling in.

I am now using Savarez Alliance Corum. I did not think strings could make that much of a difference but the guitar has really come alive with these.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Old 03-10-2019, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

The Aquila Sugar strings are < $10 at Strings By Mail. I ordered 2 sets.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:23 AM
Guest 928

Cecil;

Thank you for the informative reply. I have yet to try the strings, but I'm thinking of using them on the RS Parlor, suspecting that the narrow strings might be a good match for the narrow nut width. Not sure if that makes any sense, but thinking about it.

I have the Optima Gold on the X7 electric and like them. Depending on how things sound with the Parlor I may try the Aquilas on the electric--the colors would go well with the Royal Ebony veneer.

On this and other forums I see a resistance to the colors of the strings. I sort of like the colors and think they well go well with many of CF instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber