The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-19-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
I thought in the movie they said his dad was autistic, but was less clear that Honnold had been diagnosed as such. But it seems pretty likely.
His father’s ex-wife said he “probably had Asperger’s” but Honnold also claimed that he “seemed happier after the divorce” so I would dismiss that presumption. Regardless, the man is no longer with the living so he doesn’t care what other people may think of him.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
I was not impressed...

I'm another one who started watching this and turned it off...I was put off by the guys complete self absorption and rude disregard for the thoughts, opinions or feelings of anyone else, even those who care about him...he comes across as an immature jerk...

His girlfriend seems to be a sweetheart, and should move on before she wastes more of her time and life on him...
I actually found his girlfriend to be an annoyance and a bit of a groupie, really. I mean, she met him at a book signing of all things! She clearly seems infatuated with him but I don’t doubt that she has her own agenda. She’s playing Honnold’s inability to reciprocate emotionally to her advantage.

She clearly doesn’t belong up there with him on climbs. At one point they showed her feeding him a line and they showed her fussing with a tangled mess that was wrapped around her ankle. He as much affirmed that but when he got hurt to his credit he came short of blaming her for his injuries. He did say that he considered breaking up with her but that she countered by saying “what would you gain by that?” to keep herself in the picture, so to speak.

What tore it for me though was when she tried to implore him to think of her feelings from a rational perspective. It made me think that he would have been better cast as a young Spock. Clearly their relationship is doomed.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
I've been to Yosemite and find it awe-inspiring, but unlike the others here and the protagonist of this story I didn't find this film particularly inspiring.

In fact, I found it both interesting and farcical that he willingly submitted to an MRI and disregarded the concerns of others around him. As the story plodded along I felt a pale similarity in storytelling to Jon Kraukauer's "Into Thin Air" and became increasingly filled with a feeling of dread. When his girlfriend tried to plead with him without sounding like she was worried and they shared the fate of other free climbers I turned it off because I had had enough.
I thought the same thing about "Into Thin Air" and wondered if he had fallen to his death would they still have produced the documentary? I didn't turn it off though and found the footage of his successful attempt compelling--so much so that I was tensing up and had sweaty palms--but it still seemed like more of a relief that it was over than a celebration of his accomplishment. I compare it to reading an account of heroic actions in war or disasters, where individuals are pushed to the extreme of their limits. There is a fascination regarding what the human spirit can accomplish under extreme duress. But even if soldiers and first responders enlist or volunteer for such duty and know the risks, they don't necessarily search out those risks like Honnold did. Even though he was successful it still felt like a cautionary tale and a bit sad to me.
1998 Alvarez-Yairi DY38c
2012 Kentucky KM-150 Mandolin
Old 03-19-2019, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I just saw this film and enjoyed it immensely. I am always fascinated by people who are driven by something that operates outside the norm. Human beings are amazing creatures and are capable of so many different things. From a performance perspective, I find it interesting to see how each of us deals with fear and how we prepare for something that puts us on the edge of our abilities. How and why we push ourselves.

I used to do a bit of rock climbing and bouldering (Spent many an afternoon at Indian Rock in Berkeley back in the late '70s.) so I can appreciate the sheer physical and mental abilities these kind of endeavors require.

As far as thinking of Alex as being selfish, well that is true about many highly artistic and creative people. They are first to admit that their passion is what drives them and that singular focus comes before a relationship. I imagine if that were not the case, many a wonderful invention or piece of music might not have ever been created.

The way I see it, if someone in their lives wants to love them unconditionally, who am I to judge?

Best,
Jayne
Old 03-19-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
It might help to know that Alex is autistic and because he’s on the spectrum he has a peculiar personality. He's hyper focused and doesn’t see things like many people do. He is critical of anyone who doesn't share his uncompromising views. He shuns caffeine and alcohol, eats a vegetarian diet, owns relatively few possessions and donates a third of his income to humanitarian and environmental causes. This doesn’t make him more likable, but perhaps provides some understanding.
Even taking all that into view, he's not someone I would care to be around in person, or overlook his behavior because he has a "skill"...

As I say about things like that, "a little bit of that goes a long way..."
Old 03-19-2019, 06:22 PM

After he finished the climb, he went back to his van and worked out. I thought that was pretty interesting.

If you're interested:

"Valley Uprising" "The 50-year history of rock climbing in Yosemite Valley is chronicled in this documentary charting the birth and rise of a rebellious counterculture."

https://www.netflix.com/title/80084836

Very well done.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
It might help to know that Alex is autistic and because he’s on the spectrum he has a peculiar personality. He's hyper focused and doesn’t see things like many people do. He is critical of anyone who doesn't share his uncompromising views. He shuns caffeine and alcohol, eats a vegetarian diet, owns relatively few possessions and donates a third of his income to humanitarian and environmental causes. This doesn’t make him more likable, but perhaps provides some understanding.
OK, I searched around online and the only mention of that I could find was in an article where Honnold quasi-confided in the author that he feels he may be "somewhere on the autism spectrum."

That's hardly a formal diagnosis. For those of us who have sought out informed and certified diagnoses* it is merely an "armchair diagnosis." It's a "wink and a nod" that falls short in my eyes. I choose to take his comments as dismissive rather than as an affirmation. I receive his comment as an excuse for his eccentricity that IMO does little for others who deal with the stigma other than to place an inaccurate mystique on what is a very diverse spectrum of behavioral and cognitive challenges that affects each case differently.

Next month is autism awareness month. May is also national mental health awareness month. I sense that Honnold would probably be a good protagonist for either movement but his comments hardly identify him as being an active part of the autism awareness and acceptance community.

I don't know, maybe he's in the process of "coming out." I know that the individuals who have diagnoses on the "higher functioning" end of the autism spectrum identify with him. As the parent of a teen on the "lower functioning" end of the spectrum would love to have him be more outspoken.

* My 15yo son was diagnosed at age 3 (2007) with "mild" autism spectrum disorder (PDD-NOS) but over the years the DSM parameters have changed, as has he. His diagnosis has changed to be level 3 autism spectrum disorder with a comorbid intellectual disability disorder, disruptive mood dysregulation disorder and bipolar disorder. While he is nonverbal, requires constant supervision and has attended private schools and institutions since age 3 he is not physically impaired and has surprised and terrified me on many occasions. My 12yo son was initially diagnosed in 2013 with PDD (level 1 autism) spectrum disorder but we sought a second opinion because we felt he was imitating his brother for attention. His diagnosis is now simply ADHD which is NOT on the autism spectrum and he is mainstreamed and has excellent grades. Within the last two years I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety but have been managing it with cognitive behavioral therapy. I have been trying to gently urge my wife to do the same but it would be irresponsible of me to offer a formal diagnosis since I am not a medical or psychological professional. All I can say is that we're all "moody."
Old 03-20-2019, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Not sure it matters that he’s diagnosed or not, on the spectrum or not. He is who he is in the movie, and the fairly unflinching portrayal of him and his relationships is at the core of what makes the movie more than just another climbing film. Kudos to the filmmakers for the presentation and their own self-critique in the film. It’s all very messy and human.

My wife didn’t care much for him either, and I think was looking for more of a hero story at times. For me his oddness made the film more interesting the whole way through.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Not sure it matters that he’s diagnosed or not, on the spectrum or not. He is who he is in the movie, and the fairly unflinching portrayal of him and his relationships is at the core of what makes the movie more than just another climbing film. Kudos to the filmmakers for the presentation and their own self-critique in the film. It’s all very messy and human.

My wife didn’t care much for him either, and I think was looking for more of a hero story at times. For me his oddness made the film more interesting the whole way through.
This was my take away as well.

Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic