The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-25-2019, 10:10 AM

Default Dilemma - Buying my first acoustic guitar

Hi there,

My name is Thomas and i'm new as of today on this acoustic guitar forum. I've been playing the bass for a couple years now (an Ibanez SR1200-VNF for the ones interested) And I want to start picking up a second instrument.

And this second instrument has got to be the acoustic guitar!
I already did some in depth research on what I need for my playstyle, budget and sound. And in the end I narrowed my search down to two viable options:

1. The Sigma Guitars 000MC-15E+

2. The Ibanez AVC9CE-OPN Artwood Vintage

Both are really similar guitars, the Sigma slightly cheaper (about 120 euros) than the Ibanez, but both viable options.

Now the problem is that where I'm living, both aren't in stock anywhere. I can order them but that'll mean i'd have to buy both of them to compare.

The Ibanez brand i'm familiar with because of my bass (which I love), but that won't necessarily mean their accoustic guitars are awesome too. And the Sigma brand im totally unfamiliar with. Does anyone have a suggestion for me or any history with both guitars that will help me with choosing one or the other?

Hoping someone could shed some light into this matter
Old 02-25-2019, 10:12 AM

If you can snag a Yamaha FG800, they are nice; they tend to be very consistent even if you have to order it without trying it out.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:15 AM

I did not try either of these...
And you may know that two guitars built the same days by the same guys may not sound the same. So you have to try each unless you find an amazing deal online and buy both to sell one of them later on.
My two cents judgement would favor the better known Ibanez company over the Sigma though some guys say they love their Sigma...
Old 02-25-2019, 11:33 AM

Can u get to a local store that has guitars in your price range and with a friend that plays? For a first instrument I'd go that route if possible. In 1973 I just wanted something with six strings. Turned out to be a Stella Harmony bought off a friend for 3 dollars.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:43 AM

Go and play some but I would recommend taking a good look at an Alvarez AD-60 or AD-66. These are excellent guitars and while a little more money than the Yamaha, the sound is more full with a richer bass presence.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:25 PM

Honestly, your first guitar doesn't really matter. What does is that you get a setup with it so it's easy to play. Most people I know started out with really cheap guitars.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:22 PM

My FG800 gets as much play time as my Martins if that means anything.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:29 PM

Just order the Ibanez. You can't go wrong. I have played lots of Ibanez acoustics in the stores, and never found one with anything wrong with it.

You obviously want one with a cutaway body and with electrics, so those of us suggesting alternatives should stick with that spec.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 03-23-2019, 12:37 PM

The Ibanez mentioned has an open pore finish which puts me off straight away and, let's face it, they don't exactly have a stellar reputation for building quality acoustics, (no offence intended to Ibanez owners).
Sigma, on the other hand, is an acoustic brand that has been around in various guises since the 1970s and builds very nice quality instruments.
Alvarez build superb guitars at stupidly cheap prices.
Yamaha is a great brand with a legacy of building top quality acoustics at all price points, from £200 to £10,000, and have been played by many professionals; Jimmy Page, Paul Simon, James Taylor, John Denver, Bruce Springsteen etc, etc. That's where I would start my search (I confess to a huge bias, and own three Yamaha guitars).

So my recommendation is to scour the catalogues of Sigma, Alvarez and Yamaha and see what catches your eye. They all build something that matches your spec.

Last edited by AndrewG; 03-23-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
If you can snag a Yamaha FG800, they are nice; they tend to be very consistent even if you have to order it without trying it out.
Yamaha is world famous for being a leader in recreational products. Not only are they one of the biggest piano makers in the world, but, they also make keyboards, stringed instruments, drums, other musical instruments, golf clubs, motorcycles, snowmobiles, ATVs, boats, outboard motors, snowblowers, generators, etc.

Having owned 2 Yamaha Venture Royale motorcycles, and driven thousands of miles in the US and Canada over a period of more than 15 years, I can attest to the reliability of their motorcycles - never broke down even once.

Based on that, I would be very confident in purchasing a Yamaha product and would expect their guitars to be good guitars at a reasonable price.

I have never owned or played a Yamaha guitar, however.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:07 PM

Welcome to the forum, Thomas. I'm not familiar with either guitar. I agree that if at all possible you visit a guitar shop after you make your choice, and find out about getting a complete setup. Nothing matters more, IMO, to a new learner than "playability". I'm sure your bass is set up to your preferences, and your acoustic should be, too. But it's a different ball game doing a setup on an acoustic guitar, and at least the first one should be done by someone with experience. After that, it's just minor tweaks now and then.

Until, of course, you play that <name your favorite boutique brand> and the process starts all over again!
Old 03-23-2019, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

I've recently played several Ibanezes (AC240, AC340, AVC9) but not your exact model. They all were well-built and sounded great. Unfortunately, they all had necks that were a bit too wide for my taste. Still, a lot of folks on this board love their Ibanez acoustics so I wouldn't be too concerned about some of the less-than-enthusiastic comments here.

BTW, I bought my first acoustic guitar about a year ago after almost exclusively playing bass for 30 years. Welcome to the forum!!
Old 03-23-2019, 07:47 PM

Get a Yamaha FG800. You'll thank us later. No one does a quality guitar at this price point like Yamaha.

'77 Gurian J-R C series
'82 Alvarez-Yairi DY-53 "Silver Harp"
Ibanez AG-95 DBS
70s Ibanez 511
Old 03-23-2019, 08:34 PM

So Thomas the OP comes aboard here, tells us he wants to get a guitar, describes the Ibanez bass he owns and loves, itemizes two very similar guitars, both with these specs:

14-fret 000 or concert size, Fishman pickups, all-mahogany, finish either open-pore or satin, cutaway body.

And asks our advice.

In typical forum fashion, we tell him about all kinds of options that don't match at all what he is considering, and one of us tells him that Ibanez doesn't build good guitars. Oh, and that open-pore finishes sort of suck.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 03-23-2019, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

A few things I forgot to mention about those Ibanezes -

Many love the open pore finish and, frankly, I thought that finish had a lot to do with the impressive tone I heard out of those guitars. I think it looks great, too.

Also, the AVC9CE has a torrefied top, meaning that the solid mahogany top has been baked in a controlled environment to simulate the aging process. This is the same process used by Yamaha for their L series guitars and you'll end up getting a more responsive soundboard in the process.

Lastly, the AVC9CE has a 24.9" scale while the Sigma's scale is 25.4" - this may not seem like a big deal, but the Ibanez's shorter scale means that there will be slightly less tension in the strings, making them a bit easier to fret. It also means that the reach from fret to fret will be a little less on the Ibanez than on the Sigma.

Yep, you should go for that Ibanez!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
choosing, dilemma