The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 10-15-2018, 01:31 PM

Default Archtop set up specs

Hello everyone. I understand that different types and makes of guitar have their own specs that are given for optimum playing.....and that these are a guideline and that some players alter these specs to their own personal playing requirements.
What I'm asking is do archtop guitars need any particular set up requirements specific to archtops only? Like differences in neck relief or string height action.

I have my string heights set lower than the makers specs.....with no buzzing on any strings.....and I'm still getting some fretted notes not sounding when I play some chords and the strings are hard to press down. Ive even tuned down a tone to lower string tension but that seems to make things worse!

Suggestions/help will be gratefully accepted.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Hi Frankie,

Short answer - no, I don't think so.

Longer answer - if you are talking about electric guitars ( those that look like archtops but actually have a fence post inside with pick-ups screwed on top), then perhaps they have electric gauge strings and the proximity to the poles is significant ... dunno.

If we are talking about true archtops, then FWIW I have mine set up exactly as my flattop guitars i.e about .110" bass and about .080" treble with a relief of about .008" with medium gauge strings.

The advantage of archtops with floating bridges is that you can (usually) adjust the action height with those little wheelie things (might need some pliers).

The great Freddie Green (Count Basie orchestra) played with an exceptionally high action.

Too low an action may reduce the guitar's tone and projection.

I'd suggest start with a similar action to your flat tops, ensuring that the wheel adjusters allow you to adjust up or down.

Hope that helps
Old 10-15-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi Frankie,

Short answer - no, I don't think so.

Longer answer - if you are talking about electric guitars ( those that look like archtops but actually have a fence post inside with pick-ups screwed on top), then perhaps they have electric gauge strings and the proximity to the poles is significant ... dunno.

If we are talking about true archtops, then FWIW I have mine set up exactly as my flattop guitars i.e about .110" bass and about .080" treble with a relief of about .008" with medium gauge strings.

The advantage of archtops with floating bridges is that you can (usually) adjust the action height with those little wheelie things (might need some pliers).

The great Freddie Green (Count Basie orchestra) played with an exceptionally high action.

Too low an action may reduce the guitar's tone and projection.

I'd suggest start with a similar action to your flat tops, ensuring that the wheel adjusters allow you to adjust up or down.

Hope that helps
Thanks for posting. Similar specs to what my make of guitar should be. However i've got my action at 14th fret really low...... possibly too low which is maybe affecting the guitars sound adversely. 1.5 mm on low E string and just under 1mm on high e string.

I'll try playing the guitar with the manufacturers suggested action specs of 2.3mm on low E string and 1.7mm on high e string.

(BTW......I enjoyed watching your video of your 3 archtop comparisons).
Old 10-16-2018, 06:35 AM

Action is normally quoted at the 12th fret, just because it's half way between nut and bridge. Your action is currently exceptionally low, and would only work with quite heavy strings and a very light touch, because the string just needs more room to vibrate. If you are having issues with comfort, then paying attention to the action at the nut is worthwhile. At the end of the day, high E at .065 (1.7mm) and low E at .090" (2.3mm) is considered "normal" for any steel string guitar, acoustic or electric. You can go up from there if you play with a heavier hand, or strum hard, or go down if you play with a very light touch.

I personally set up at those specs, very low relief, and play quite lightly, and I tune down two semi-tones to D-D. I use light gauge acoustic strings, .012 - .054 normally. My guitars are acoustic, no pickup.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC5C View Post
Action is normally quoted at the 12th fret, just because it's half way between nut and bridge. Your action is currently exceptionally low, and would only work with quite heavy strings and a very light touch, because the string just needs more room to vibrate. If you are having issues with comfort, then paying attention to the action at the nut is worthwhile. At the end of the day, high E at .065 (1.7mm) and low E at .090" (2.3mm) is considered "normal" for any steel string guitar, acoustic or electric. You can go up from there if you play with a heavier hand, or strum hard, or go down if you play with a very light touch.

I personally set up at those specs, very low relief, and play quite lightly, and I tune down two semi-tones to D-D. I use light gauge acoustic strings, .012 - .054 normally. My guitars are acoustic, no pickup.

Thanks for posting with your preferred specs and setup. I've rehashed my guitar today.

Set the relief to approx 0.25mm and action raised to approx 2mm on low E and 1.5mm on high e string. Playing guitar acoustically and noticeably more projection with clearer sounding chords. I'm contemplating swapping the wood and metal floating bridge that came with the guitar with an all wooden bridge......I've read reports that an all wooden bridge could give even more volume/projection and a more mellow tone.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:33 PM

Well, first of all, what's the guitar? I'd set up an Acoustic L5 a heck of a lot differently than a ES-175.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 10-16-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Well, first of all, what's the guitar? I'd set up an Acoustic L5 a heck of a lot differently than a ES-175.

Ibanez AF71.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:02 AM

Ok, so an electric guitar, really. What gauge string, and flatwounds or roundwounds?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 10-17-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Ok, so an electric guitar, really. What gauge string, and flatwounds or roundwounds?

Yeah.......it looks a bit like one of the guitars that you are playing on YouTube.....but with a floating pickup. I'm playing it unplugged at present.

BTW........great playing on your video.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:10 AM

Wink

My pseudo archtop has gone. Hopefully to a better place. Ok......I took a 50 sov loss so as to get rid of it. It wasn't a 'real' archtop because it had a floating pickup. And I couldn't play it. Tried all of the jazz/jazzy sounding chords on it....but it wasn't to be.....I just couldn't physically play anything meaningful on it.

mr.beaumont.....yes....it was just an electric guitar. Sorry that I made it out to be an archtop. I'm back on my Tele and, hopefully, acoustic now.

Last edited by Frankieabbott; 03-16-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:31 AM

Default Archtop.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankieabbott View Post
Hello everyone. I understand that different types and makes of guitar have their own specs that are given for optimum playing.....and that these are a guideline and that some players alter these specs to their own personal playing requirements.
What I'm asking is do archtop guitars need any particular set up requirements specific to archtops only? Like differences in neck relief or string height action.

I have my string heights set lower than the makers specs.....with no buzzing on any strings.....and I'm still getting some fretted notes not sounding when I play some chords and the strings are hard to press down. Ive even tuned down a tone to lower string tension but that seems to make things worse!

Suggestions/help will be gratefully accepted.
This information might be elementary for you based on what you've been stating here but this link from Archtop.com has some basic string and action recommendations and a bunch of other information as well.
https://www.archtop.com/
Old 03-22-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkmac View Post
This information might be elementary for you based on what you've been stating here but this link from Archtop.com has some basic string and action recommendations and a bunch of other information as well.
https://www.archtop.com/
Thank you ozarkmac. Unfortunately ( or maybe fortunately for me) my pseudo archtop/archtop type guitar with a floating pickup has been sold on.

Back on my Tele and acoustic. Cant play very well..but I always enjoy having one of 'em in my hands.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops