The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-10-2019, 08:41 AM

Default Hands down - the winner is

Used Eastman arch top 803 or 805. I have an 803CE bought used - the finish is poor - doesn't take to be banged around. But plays like a $5000 Gibson.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:06 AM

I looked at the Yunzhi web site and their archtops look stunning, especially the 17" one in natural spruce and maple back and sides, all solid wood. Price less than $900.... crazy. May be the problem is that it comes from China, it there is an issue it will be costly and time consuming to return it. Unless there are dealers in US?
Old 03-10-2019, 11:08 AM

Kmckenna,I buy guitars after having played them, and I don't live in the U.S...
I could possibly buy from an online retailer I've had several positive experiences with if their return policy is convenient...But only if I couldn't find something good enough around (shops or second-hand).
Sorry

Gerardo, there is no warranty that these guitars are consistent, and I've seen a video showing issues with new guitars....

Last edited by Bernieman; 03-10-2019 at 11:18 AM. Reason: New answer while writing
Old 03-10-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernieman View Post
As I said earlier on, I'm looking for an electric archtop, with (one) cutaway...So the Loar LH 700 is not really my style...Still thank you for the clue...
What about this Gibson L-50 : I've had a look at it : what's the difference with L-5s the way they were made at the time ? (I'm not willing to get one, but I like to know. And they are too rare and expensive here).

You talked about an Epiphone Masterbuilt too, but I'm looking for a solid woods archtop : so far I haven't found any among the Epiphone line...(I checked all the archtops with one cutaway I think...) ; i want this deeper acoustic tone too...

Enjoy the Gibson...
You can purchase the Loar and have a floating pickup installed.

The Peerless Monarch seems to have a great price on the Djangobooks site. The guitar is located here in Seattle. I played Eastman's there last year.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo1000 View Post
I looked at the Yunzhi web site and their archtops look stunning, especially the 17" one in natural spruce and maple back and sides, all solid wood. Price less than $900.... crazy. May be the problem is that it comes from China, it there is an issue it will be costly and time consuming to return it. Unless there are dealers in US?
Last I heard there were no US dealers. Haven't bought a Yunzhi in awhile. I usually recommend going the Yolanda Team route and getting a Wu guitar. They do a very good job of communicating with the buyer.

Things to know:
- It's probably not $900 unless you're buying in quantity for a basic model from Yunzhi. I mean.. it could be. I did pay that for a few of mine but that was years ago. But I believe it's more like $1100 - $1200.
- Do your homework. There's a lot of information, pictures, clips, and owners on jazz guitar forums.
- They are similar to Eastman's in that they are based on Benedetto designs. They have a better nitro finish and better carving though. IMHO they sound better than an Eastman.
- Pay half up front for a semi-custom guitar (always use PayPal). Being semi-custom, don't figure on returns.
- Only pick common custom features like wood, inlays, binding, neck width. Don't mess with scale length or other basic parameters.
- Get it electronic ready but do your own pickups and pots. The electronics are truly awful.
- The woodworking is very good. However, the guitar will need the frets gone over and a good setup done. Figure another $200 plus electronics.
- These are built to order. Several months.
- In the end you should have spent just under $1500 but you'll have exactly what you want in a solid, carved instrument. It's one of the best deals around but you take on some risk (you can't play it, usually you can't send it back) and you have to know what you want.
- Simple test: join a jazz guitar forum and ask if people are happy with their Wu guitars and if they would purchase one again.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:58 AM

Default Eastman 803 and 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmckenna45 View Post
Used Eastman arch top 803 or 805. I have an 803CE bought used - the finish is poor - doesn't take to be banged around. But plays like a $5000 Gibson.
Searched around a bit but could not find these in acoustic only. Do they exist?
Old 03-11-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
Last I heard there were no US dealers. Haven't bought a Yunzhi in awhile. I usually recommend going the Yolanda Team route and getting a Wu guitar. They do a very good job of communicating with the buyer.

Things to know:
- It's probably not $900 unless you're buying in quantity for a basic model from Yunzhi. I mean.. it could be. I did pay that for a few of mine but that was years ago. But I believe it's more like $1100 - $1200.
- Do your homework. There's a lot of information, pictures, clips, and owners on jazz guitar forums.
- They are similar to Eastman's in that they are based on Benedetto designs. They have a better nitro finish and better carving though. IMHO they sound better than an Eastman.
- Pay half up front for a semi-custom guitar (always use PayPal). Being semi-custom, don't figure on returns.
- Only pick common custom features like wood, inlays, binding, neck width. Don't mess with scale length or other basic parameters.
- Get it electronic ready but do your own pickups and pots. The electronics are truly awful.
- The woodworking is very good. However, the guitar will need the frets gone over and a good setup done. Figure another $200 plus electronics.
- These are built to order. Several months.
- In the end you should have spent just under $1500 but you'll have exactly what you want in a solid, carved instrument. It's one of the best deals around but you take on some risk (you can't play it, usually you can't send it back) and you have to know what you want.
- Simple test: join a jazz guitar forum and ask if people are happy with their Wu guitars and if they would purchase one again.
Well Spook, I'd rather get a guitar that's fit for playing 'right out of the box'...i've got enough homework with playing guitar, writing music and so on. But I'll have a look at these guitars and I might search jazz forums see if what you say is right... Your post is interesting if that is. So thanks.
If it's gonna be too long and expensive, I can do better with the luthier I mentioned in my best 5...

Ozarkmac, just google AR805 orAR(for archtop i think)XXX...Dont know about AR 803 though...

Last edited by Bernieman; 03-11-2019 at 12:47 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 03-11-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkmac View Post
Searched around a bit but could not find these in acoustic only. Do they exist?
If it's a floating pickup model, it is essentially an acoustic guitar. There's very little hindering the top from vibrating freely.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-11-2019, 01:32 PM

Default 805

Was actually able to finally find a pure acoustic 805 but not the 803. Thanks for the info on the floating pu.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Well Spook, I'd rather get a guitar that's fit for playing 'right out of the box'...i've got enough homework with playing guitar, writing music and so on. But I'll have a look at these guitars and I might search jazz forums see if what you say is right... Your post is interesting if that is. So thanks.
If it's gonna be too long and expensive, I can do better with the luthier I mentioned in my best 5...

Ozarkmac, just google AR805 orAR(for archtop i think)XXX...Dont know about AR 803 though...
Very few guitars are fit for playing 'right out of the box'. They will almost always need the nut depth adjusted and unless the manufacturer uses a plek machine (e.g. Martin guitars) they usually need a fret or two leveled. Then there is relief, intonation, and action height based on your playing style and string choice.

So.. you have a 'best 5' luthier that will build you a solid wood carved archtop for $1500 to your spec's within 12 weeks or so? US custom builders make some of the finest guitars in the world and I would love to have one. But I was under the impression that they start around $6500 and take a year to build.

Last edited by Spook; 03-11-2019 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
...US custom builders make some of the finest guitars in the world and I would love to have one. But I was under the impression that they start around $6500 and take a year to build.
Mark Campellone will build you a classic all-carved 17-inch cutaway jazzbox for just under $5K ($200 less if you don't need/want a suspended pickup) - I've played a few and IME his work is second to none - and rumor has it the new Waterloo L-37 style archtop (made by Collings) should come in around $3500-3800 street...

Hey, wasn't there some guy here a while back who said it was "impossible" to build a no-frills, plain-wood, small-body (15"-16") archtop for $4K...?

Haven't seen him around for a long time - just sayin'...
Old 03-11-2019, 06:46 PM

Not sure if the Campellone shop would be considered a custom or boutique. But I've never heard anything but raves for his instruments. Would certainly like to have one and would be the first thing I'd look at in that price range.

Curious about the Collings Waterloo..
Old 03-21-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Very few guitars are fit for playing 'right out of the box'. They will almost always need the nut depth adjusted and unless the manufacturer uses a plek machine (e.g. Martin guitars) they usually need a fret or two leveled. Then there is relief, intonation, and action height based on your playing style and string choice.

So.. you have a 'best 5' luthier that will build you a solid wood carved archtop for $1500 to your spec's within 12 weeks or so? US custom builders make some of the finest guitars in the world and I would love to have one. But I was under the impression that they start around $6500 and take a year to build.
No, that's not what I said : if you read my posts, you'd know I live in Europe, and in my country the only all-solid woods archtop i found when I looked were a couple of Gibson L-5...No Eastman in the region where I live (about 200 miles from my place).
Peerless are not sold any more in France at the moment...And I told about 5 best Archtops not 5 best luthiers...
Ordering from the U.S. would be possible, bur when I asked for shipping cost the first time was $300 I think, and the second time $200 : based on an Eastman 603ce available for $1639, and considering that I would normally have to pay 20% VAT, custom fees and possibly 3% more for Paypal, how much does it make.

When it comes to your Chinese favourite, adding a minimum of $250 for shipping, an other $250 for new electronics (won't do it myself), I'll be better off with the luthier I mentionned (can go see him if necessary for frets work or setting the action if necessary (it would be surprising) and would cost nothing...
I'm surprised that none of you liked thls luthier's work : click on the Archtop J-42 link, and watch the video : don't think I heard anything better in terms of tone, and in terms of music (maybe just my taste)...
Only problem would be to get the 3" depth I seem to like most, as I don't think he's done any so far...

Sorry for answering, late but i've been away and then ill...
Old 03-22-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I'm surprised that none of you liked thls luthier's work : click on the Archtop J-42 link
Have the link? Kind of surprised if there is a reliable luthier in Europe that will build you an archtop for $1500. Including electronics and a professional setup even. Would ceratinly like to see their work.

BTW.. Yunzhi/Wu archtop prices include shipping but I can't speak to Euro taxes, customs, and other local impacts.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:13 AM

People hearing without listening

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops